don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    For sure. I was worried that "restricting" the timing for optimal play may have felt constricting, but I've actually found it really enjoyable to try and go for the Perfect each time.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wanna tear Sega a new one for this? Or just be kinda brutally honest? Well now you can because Sega launched a survey looking for feedback. It's actually fairly comprehensive too it took me like 10 minutes to get through it.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6593621/Sonic-Colors-Ultimate

I gotta say I really love how they're handling this game post launch. It's not perfect but at least unlike TSR it wasn't just dropped like a steaming shit only to fester.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I basically just said "game was good. Glitches sucked but didn't suck enough to ruin my experience."

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Basically same, I was like "the issues the game had were strange and modders fixed like 70% of it in 2 weeks, a group of fans shouldn't have to fix your mistakes. But the game at its core is still fun, i appreciate the post launch support, and if you're itching to play Colors I'd recommend Ultimate, just with caveats."

5. I just hope they take time to fix everything until the game comes to Steam.

6. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I appreciate that "have you played the game" is a question and that it doesn't lock you out of the survey entirely. That's a nice way to take public perception and impressions from those who've done their research into account without it polluting the first-hand-experience results (not that I'd expect them to be wildly different here).

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Yep, I haven't played it yet and I could answer the entire thing just fine.

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I listed pretty clearly the technical bugs, and I said I'd buy the game if they fixed the menus, volume sliders, Sonic's blinking and Starlight Carnival. Which I think is true! Stuff like the lighting is at least a difference in taste I can correct with mods.

I also took the opportunity to tell them to fuck off with the NFT bullshit, though I'm sure it's just some intern reading these so that probably won't be much help.

9. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I won't say anything on the NFT matter but they used these surveys to help craft Frontiers.

People went back and looked at old leaks and realized a lot of the stuff in Frontiers was from surveys asking what people would want from a new Sonic game and they've used that, as well as feedback from playtesters, to try and make the game as good as possible.

I say all that to say I'm pretty sure they ARE checking these out.

10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    WOOOOO I'm now a statistic!!!!

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I've seen this before, but it didn't stop them from registering an NFT trademark. I'm also not a fan of the language "if it is perceived as simple money-making", because it's basically admitting that it is just a scam, they're just not currently sure how to deceive people into thinking it isn't.

I'm aware of that, but the obvious response would be that we don't actually have a clue what Frontiers looks like currently, and just because they took and even used fan feedback in its creation doesn't mean the product itself will actually resemble what anyone specifically asked for.

More than this, I think about the kind of arguments that can be made from a corporate standpoint. When a lot of people don't like a Sonic game, all they can really do is just promise a better Sonic game in the future, which they sometimes follow up on. When a lot of people say that NFTs simply should not exist, it's a lot easier for them to sidestep that and say "if you don't like our scam products, just don't buy them", because some fucker is gonna buy it no matter how stupid and terrible everyone knows it always was. It's easy to miss the bigger picture on-purpose and then paint your detractors as being unreasonable.

13. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    The trademark was made a month prior to that statement, so I don't think it means much. If they decide not to sell NFTs now, it's not like they can go back and stop the trademark from being registered.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Just to nudge in here before it goes long, this is the Sonic Colors Ultimate thread, not a SEGA + NFT thread.

15. Took the survey and joined the Sega Insights Lab just so I can do my little part to help make Sega's games ever better.

I had to sign an NDA though. That's a first lmao.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I honestly don't think this is a very useful survey to have, or at least not a good game to have the survey over. The only time they ask if you've played the original version is when they ask what Sonic games you've played, and they never follow up with it with a question like "Did you enjoy this version of the game over the original version?" and for the most part ignore its status as a remaster. So if people might be trying to judge based on those factors more than how they actually enjoyed the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    I finally got this game for my birthday a few weeks ago, (the Switch version) so I was pretty late on playing it, advantageously so, considering the updates it's received since release. I played the original a decade ago and 100%-ed it at least three times, so I'd definitely enjoyed it.

Playing this game for the first time in so long made me realize how much of a "grower" this game is. Meaning, the first few times through the majority of the levels really isn't that fun. Once I memorize the layouts of the levels and, of course, unlock the Wisps that the levels were clearly designed with to utilize to their full playability, then the game becomes strangely addicting, as I replay each of the stages to improve my score and time and earn those crystalline 'S' ranks.

It's neither my ideal 3D or 2D Sonic, but it's still very fun. And it's probably the last Sonic where replaying the levels for 'S' ranks actually felt rewarding.

(With that said, what is the deal with making Ratatotron and Refreshinator so ridiculously easy? Their designs and accompanying music are incredible, but I defeated both of them in only two hits barely exuding any effort. Just giving them more stamina would've made them some very memorable boss battles.)

18. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

19. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah I also said something about it being leaked. Gotta be honest!

I answered the survey so long ago now that I can't remember what all the questions were. But I know that I was particularly scathing about the game. Fair and honest, but scathing because I genuinely thought that Colours Ultimate was a sloppy mess. Following all the patches it's now pretty much fine and I mentioned that too. Still though, there's absolutely nothing positive to say about how cheaply implemented the Jade Ghost is or how they touted the all new Rival Rush mode as an enticing new feature, which in reality it's the most basic of time trials ghosts on six levels with the worst menus I've ever seen.