don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    The d-pad most definitely does not change characters; if you are using a 3-button controller, it should be swapping characters with A; if using a 6-button controller, it should be swapping characters with X/Y/Z.

I assuming you are using an emulator? You might want to toss it away and get a better one...

2. Miles3298

Miles3298

Sonic's animation in the Sonic 1 special stages is a bit funky; it displays this frame multiple times: [​IMG]

I noticed a few tiny typos in the PDF.

Page 5, Sonic 1's listed twice:
    Page 6, seems like "from" is missing its "m":
    Page 7, seems like "off" is missing an "f":
    Page 8, seems like this sentence is missing an "if":

3. REPO Man

REPO Man

I haven't played the newest version yet, but as one of my fave hacks, I just know it'll be excellent.

Keep up the awesome work.

4. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    I don't know what the last version of this that I played was, but I haven't played Classic Heroes in probably three or more years. Does the transition cutscene from the end of S1 to the start of S2 still play the Final Boss music of S3? I know that wasn't the most ideal choice and that it was mostly placeholder for lack of a better unused BGM. Assuming you haven't changed it yet, a couple suggestions I have are WFZ's music—even though it will be used later on anyway—or Sonic Compilation's menu music (which, I know, is just Robotnik's theme from MBM, but iirc it differs slightly). I don't know if either would be seen as an improvement over the S3 Final Boss theme, but I at least think they would work better.
    –{for your consideration~}–

(If, on the other hand, it has indeed been replaced, and [no less] with something way better and by no means placeholder, kindly disregard this message. :))

5. flamewing

flamewing

France
    It was never a placeholder, nor was it replaced.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. flamewing

flamewing

France
    New revision is out: get it here. Fixes garbled chunks in HTZ1, and a crash when pressing start+c when playing with only one or two players.

7. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I don't know how I did this. Playing as Sonic Team Player 1 with 6 button pad on Kega with Player 2 plugged in but not active. I beat GHZ1, jumped into the large ring at the end of the act. I think I was pressing buttons as I noticed my life icon changed to swap characters while I as Sonic was off screen while the other two stood there. Then I entered the special stage as Sonic, got the emerald, then when I spawned in GHZ2, I couldn't control Sonic, as my controller was now acting as Player 2? I could swap and move the partner character, but Sonic stood still the entire time.

I should say this was with the previous revision posted slightly above, not the most recent one.

Restarting I had no issue and continued till Labyrinth till I got bored.

8. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I normally play with Team Chaotix and I faced a lot of bugs. Don´t know if it happened on Team Sonic.

- Sometimes the 2nd and 3rd characters "dies", but in the meaning they don´t move, they´re just there stopped and uncontrolable.
    - The transition bethween Sonic 1 and 2 as Team Chaotix is broken, they just run for right when the intention is for them run for left, didn´t allowing you to play Sonic1+2 complete. (Super Dash cheat activated on this one)
    - On Marble Boss, I died and the controls glitched. When started a new life after checkpoint, Vector (which I play as main normally) wasn´t able to be playable, but Espio and Charmy was, but the screen was locked on Vector.
    - With Super Dash, the monitor S appear to turn Hyper, but when it´s over, cancel character´s action (for exemple, if Vector is climbing as Hyper and it finishes, you fall.)

I wanted to play to check if an old bug as them on Wing Fortress was fixed, but wasn´t able to reach there. The bug was after you defeat the boss, if all 3 characters don´t fall together, the game softlocks and the cut scene of them going after Eggman don´t happen, you only see him taking off. And since the timer stops, you coudn´t die with a Time Over to try again, sticks there forever.

9. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    @ everyone talking about 2nd/3rd team members stopping and not moving: do you have a second controller set up in your emulator settings? I did, and disabling it stopped that from happening for me, so I assume Classic Heroes just checks for a second controller to be plugged in and makes it a 2-player game if so.

10. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

It's been so long... Congrats on the new release Flamewing! Figure I'll point some things out:
    The Grey Sol Emerald on the Special Stage results screen doesn't fade properly, with one of its colours remaining static
    When playing through a level as a solo Super/Hyper Dash character (most notably Sonic), the results tally just refers to them as Sonic/Tails/Knuckles rather than having Super/Hyper being added before their names. Sonic's is also bugged as the light blue on his name isn't affected by the palette change of Super/Hyper Sonic as well, which looks pretty distracting.

Here's a little suggestion I thought of earlier when playing as well: When you're Hyper and you get an S-Monitor, you get a bit of a power boost and move even faster than you already are - I think a good visual indicator of this effect would be maybe a little overlay or shield that's similar in design to the Super Shields from Sonic Heroes

Also, found another bug in that some stage layers are a bit borked, like in the start of Emerald Hill Zone, taking the spring and ramp at the bottom route, you can no longer make your way back to the higher section, and instead hit the bottom of the floor rather than going through it

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  11. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    I did encounter graphical glitches after being miserably crushed by falling blocks on Marble Zone act 1 (as sonic team, did not try chaotix), using Kega Fusion.

12. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Avatar by... well, myself. Member
    I'm not sure if you guys ever experienced this before but wha...
    upload_2022-1-7_20-45-20.png
    (I swapped characters again after taking this screenshot and the glitch just up and stopped so it's probably temporary?)

13. TheVapePhantom

TheVapePhantom

Watch Yu Yu Hakusho, it's pretty lit. Member
    Been a long time since I've heard of this hack. I hope you'll add more characters soon!

14. Kiké fővezér

Kiké fővezér

God Supreme Commander (Prime) Member
    First of all, it's the best Sonic rom hack I have ever played!

I have found a very frustrating bug:
    If I continue a save slot with START button it always saves to slot 1. I have to start with opening the slot's options then continue.
    For example, if I have a Chaotix Aquatic Ruin Act 1 save on slot 2 and I start it with START, it immediately copied to slot 1 of course overriding that save. It affects every slot every team and always to slot 1. GenPlusdroid Android Mega Drive emulator everything else correctly works with this.

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but if I start a new save and changing randomly the game type then the team once they will be Team Super and Super Chaotix and it's without Super Dash, not even unlocked by the cheat code. For Team Hyper/Hyper Chaotix I haven't found anything like this yet.

For the D-pad char changing, it's the emulator's fault. With the first Android emu I used it appeared and made the game completely unplayable. With the aforementioned one with the same rom no problem excluding the save slot one.

Suggestion:
    For a possible new team, I would recommend Team Metal Sonic, because the Team Sonic sprites (and pallettes) have to be just replaced by Metal Sonic's, Tails Doll's and Metal Knuckles'. The abilities can be left unchanged. It might be a standalone rom with Chaotix either cut out or just locked or Metal Chaotix (cuz why not). Metal Sonic Classic Heroes

15. Kiké fővezér

Kiké fővezér

God Supreme Commander (Prime) Member
    I'm sorry, I've forgotten to say about this issue. This happens when I finish the game with Chaotix or Super/Hyper Chaotix. It doesn't affect the saving, it saves. When this appears the rom has to be reseted.
    For the state the .txt part must be deleted, it is because of the forum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    New bugfix release version 0.15.03e1 is out, with the following changes:
    • Fixed a crash caused by new lava collision code;
    • Fixed crash when turning super on the same frame you land;
    • fixed the ending of team Chaotix when you have at least one full set of emeralds (or super dash);
    • fixed 1-frame crash on HTZ boss;
    • fixed capsule mappings (thanks to Clownancy for that);
    • fixed main options screen overwriting save slot 1 if you press start on any other slot, as well as fixing starting game directly;
    • fixed height of a path swapper in HTZ1 which was too short and could easily be bypassed.
    Unfortunately, I did not have much time to do anything other than fix a few bugs :colbert:

17. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

Thanks for this amazing game, flamewing. Big fan since the beginning. Every fix and news is awesome. May be some day we'll see other teams like this image I've been
    looking at for years...

18. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    Calling this a mere romhack doesn't really begin to describe it. It may well be the ultimate way to play Sonic 1 and 2.

That said, there are two bugs that I have noticed in the current build. The first is the Sonic 2 Special Stage HUD is broken when playing those stages as Sonic alone with 'AI in Special Stages' disabled, regardless of the character selection for the current game (attachment is a screenshot of the issue).

The other is actually a vanilla Sonic 2 bug: if the player spindashes while next to a monitor and breaks it, they will uncurl from the spindash.

Attached Files:

19. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    Just discovered another bug after watching the demos: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Ray and Mighty are all MIA on the Sega screen if, and ONLY if, the Sega screen is shown after a demo times out. No other instances of the Sega screen seem to have this issue.

Speaking of which, I might as well suggest that the demos themselves could probably benefit from being rerecorded to show off the new mechanics, and perhaps different levels.

20. Murnjendoof

Murnjendoof

I'm positively certain that I'm not the first person to ask this, but I'm not looking through 112 pages of forum discussion to find where you answered it. Are there any plans to add the Zones from Sonic 3 & Knuckles to the hack? Or even CD or Chaotix? As for what you'd collect in each game's special stage, CD already has the Time Stones and Chaotix already has the Chaos Rings, but I've got no clue what you'd put in the 3&K special stages.

I'm a big fan of this hack, and it's definitely one of my favourite ways to play Sonic 1 & 2, so even if there aren't any plans to add those games, it'll still be one of, if not my all-time favourite classic Sonic ROM hack.