don't click here

If Sega only cared about pandering to YOU, what kind of Sonic game would they make?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Josh, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Pink-bot

Pink-bot

If they were pandering to me they’d release a sonic generations level pack, but with way more mod support (think custom enemies/bosses/level gimmicks.)

edit: also IDW would be the main canon with the comics taking place in between the games.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  2. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    For me, they'd rerelease Unleashed, Generations and All-Stars Racing Transformed physically on PS4. (Instead... we got Colors).

As far as making me a new game, Sonic 5.

A proper Sonic 5, with the Hyper formes incorporated again and a true combat-intensive final battle against Metal Sonic. I've got more ideas, but I'll save those for another day.

3. You know, it'd be cool too if we got a Knuckles' Chaotix game but with Encore Mode mechanics (and a better level design for stages, obviously).

4. Its funny you say this, other forums I frequent generally have more leaning towards Modern Sonic and would a new Sonic Advance over a new Sonic Mania and find the latter "regressive"

But yea, its a weird timeline where a MODERN 2D Sonic game is more of a pipe dream than a Classic one.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    "They need to stop making games in the style of 25 years ago, it's just so regressive. But a game in the style of TWENTY years ago, that would be just the shot in the arm this series needs!"

Hahaha, yeah, like I always say, it's only nostalgia *pandering* if it's not your nostalgia.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    But Sonic Forces came out just a few years ago. :V

7. Pengi

Pengi

What would the major distinction be, other than green eyes?

I'd certainly rather have a Sonic Advance 4 by Evening Star than a Sonic Mania 2 by Dimps.

8. Think this is being extremely reductive.

Sonic Advance 2, 3, and the Rush games don't really play anything like the Classics at all do they, I don't really think its "pandering" just preferring a different style of game. Sonic's 1-3 have been released a million times, and have recieved a follow up in Mania, but the last time a Rush or Advance game was touched was almost ten years ago. I don't think its unreasonable people who prefer that are wrong.

People like the Advance and Rush games though...

There seems this impression that DIMPS made nothing but trash games when...no, Sonic 4 aside, all of their games have been pretty well-received. They're not on the same level of the Classic games and I feel this where you guys are judging them from, but they were never really trying to be, especially Rush. They were just doing their own thing.

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    One of the issues with the advanced series and most of Dimps' Sonic game design is that they are often based around the idea of bottomless pits, which we don't don't see a lot of in the classic trilogy.

10. I didn't say they were GOOD, just different.

11. Pengi

Pengi

You didn't mention the Rush games. The Sonic Rush games have a distinct identity and set of game mechanics. If someone says they'd rather have a Sonic Rush sequel than a Sonic Mania sequel, it's clear what the distinction is.

But these people you brought up who say they'd rather have a Sonic Advance sequel than a Sonic Mania sequel, what are they asking for? What's the distinction? Green eyes? Dimps? Cream the Rabbit?

12. As I mentioned, Sonic Advance 2 and 3 have vastly different mechanics than anything the Classics really tried. Sonic Advance 2 is basically a proto-Rush game, and Sonic Advance 3 has the whole teamwork gimmick.

So I dunno, I guess mechanics that just aren't lifted wholesale from from the first three games only?

13. Pengi

Pengi

That's very vague. A new Sonic Advance means a game that doesn't play like Advance 1, and possibly doesn't play like Advance 2 or 3? But adds some new mechanics? But it doesn't particularly matter what they are?

Sonic Mania Plus has the drop dash, new move sets for Ray and Mighty and the buddy system in Encore Mode. The Zones themselves have a lot more new interactive level gimmicks and off-beat bosses than any of the Advance games.

I still don't see the distinction. I'd certainly be happy to see Evening Star make a "Sonic Advance sequel but not on Game Boy Advance or emulating the limitations of the Game Boy Advance". I think it would end up essentially being a Sonic Mania sequel, but with green eyes.

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    In my mind people would ask for an Advance title over a classic title only for that particular modern art style.

15. A lot of people who prefer Sonic advance were kind of miffed they didn't Amy after all and opted for Mighty and Ray.

16. Winins

Winins

Amplitude Enthusiast Member
    Sonic 4 Episode 3. Give me my conclusion.

17. Sui Eel

Sui Eel

captan Member
    I prefer to be surprised. Something with no compromises that I can freely recommend to people outside of the fandom with mostly original concepts would be a nice surprise.

But I'll also take a new Riders game with netplay and gameplay similar to the OG.

18. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    If not Mania 2 or Adventure 3, giving Big's Big World a budget and official support. I'm not kidding. :shobon:

19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I hadn't heard of this, but now that you mentioned it I agree. It looks like it could be a fun idea.

20. TailsAddict

TailsAddict

BANNED Oldbie
    Amy Rose Adventures

and Cream