don't click here

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Roller, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Not to be that guy, but did they give any word on a release window?

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Product page says January 1st 2022, so only a few days to wait!

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's $70, £60, €70. Maybe a little on the pricey side (and surprise surprise, the UK one is the one that's the most expensive) but hey, it is Lego =P

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    That feels placeholder-y to me...

But I hope you're right.

5. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    Decided to make a Chemical Plant Zone module for the set. Here's the result.
    Instructions
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Congrats Roller! Gonna have to get a couple of these sets. I am also disappointed that we don't get the deathegg robot, but this does make a lot more sense from Lego's perspective.

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The LEGO Stores better be open on January 1st because I intend to get there early and nab one of these sets.

The original concept was cool but didn’t feel like a necessary purchase as a play set, but now that it’s a display (and of the original game no less!) it’s an essential purchase.

8. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Thank you for the kind and understanding responses, everybody. I hope you enjoy the set in-hand when it becomes available!

Not a trick! Not a hoax! Not an imaginary story! January 1st 2022 is the final release date, and the final prices are as Overlord stated, give or take a penny. But as far as I am aware it will only be available from LEGO Stores at first, for both online and physical retail. It will likely be closer to the release of the second movie before it starts appearing at other retailers.

I've not recieved a specific answer about the birds themselves, so while there are multiple easily guessable reasons each of which would make a lot of sense, it'd be improper for me to speculate. Sorry!

Oh, this is excellent! This is *exactly* what I was hoping to see from the community as the set metamorphised into its final form. Thank you for sharing it, and I am very eager to see what other module designs you (and anybody else) may be considering. After all, the printed grass tile in the Green Hill Zone set would work with Marble Zone, too...

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Excellent, well done for putting that page up so quickly. Am I right in reading that the alternate head is for Jimmy the Motobug specifically? If so, perhaps we could add that too! :shobon:

11. Roller

Roller

The one in the final set has a direct development lineage from Jimmy's face on the January 2020 redesign's sticker sheet, but because the Fleetway-Super-esque eye pattern was so strongly associated with Mania it is no longer present. As a result, whether it still "counts" as an appearance of him is not something I feel comfortable dictating, especially considering the real-world individual I never personally had the chance to know. Would it respect his memory to think of it this way?

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Any idea why Eggman's head looks botched? They had a lego dimension's model to work from after all.

Looking at the release model, the concept version of eggman's head actually looks better
    [​IMG]

The rest of the set looks good, but Eggman is just a miss when comapired to the original pitch and Lego Dimensions.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    The long and short of it is that most LEGO Ideas sets aren't allowed to have new moulds created for them - there are a couple of exceptions or grey areas (e.g. the Sesame Street set does have some for the characters) but in those cases it seems likely the licensors have stumped up the extra dosh to have them created. The Doctor Who set cheekily got around the limitation by using a new Sonic Screwdriver piece that was technically designed for the Dimensions Doctor Who level pack, which only released a few weeks earlier - however, it still had no new moulds for things like the Daleks or the Weeping Angels' wings, which were all built using existing pieces.

Re: the Dimensions Eggman model - that only exists as an in-game asset, so the design would need checking and revising to ensure it can be produced physically, and that no elements (such as the moustache) would be too fragile or easily breakable. After that, it would then still need moulds creating to be produced as a physical piece. Basically, it'd be pretty much the same cost and effort as creating a new piece from scratch, which as mentioned is outside the scope of the majority of Ideas sets.

A few licensed Ideas sets which were particularly popular have led to further sets down the road, so who knows - if this one performs exceptionally, it's possible LEGO and Sega may collaborate again in future. However, the majority are one-and-done, so personally I'm going to assume this is it for LEGO Sonic and be pleasantly surprised if more sets do materialise in future. = )

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    Thanks! More modules already done :D

[​IMG]

15. Roller

Roller

Very good picks indeed. One thing worth keeping in mind is that GHZ has two types of connectors - one axle-based system for extra internal stability, and one that officially is for turning the two endcaps into a single center-compatible module. From the looks of it, all your pieces seem to focus on hacking that endcap-connector into a cross-zone system - you'd do well to do some more analysis of the official set and see whether you can work with that axle-based system for rearranging level chunks within those other zones, too!

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    As much as I would love to see Death Egg Robo in this set, what we got is still excellent! I might actually get this for my 30th birthday, it would look great on display right next to my comic book collection :)

Congratulations to everyone involved in this project!

17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Ok after watching a review of the set where they show eggman facing forward, I think I'm a little more satisfied with the set. and I'm starting to think about getting it too.
    upload_2021-12-31_10-24-29.png
    Eggman still seems a little "hatched", but hopfuly the set does well enough to justify fixing him being the "birdman"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  18. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I just don't understand why they wouldn't have used a studded piece for the nose, since that would fill in the awkward hole and make it look like an actual nose.

19. Roller

Roller

This is something I can answer: yes, it was a 1x1 square plate. However, the head and neck needed a stronger connection, so a 3L bar was put between them - but the plate's internal corner got in the way, and the point was considered more important than the stud, so the nose was changed to a corner tile. You can swap it for the original plate if you accept a weaker neck, but I'm currently exploring alternate bar-like pieces to run through the middle, so maybe there'll be a way to have that cake and eat it in time.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  20. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Order placed