don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

People's idea of good animation is being off-model 90% of the time? :V

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's really really smooth, like weirdly smooth.

3. MH MD

MH MD

a Great animation CAN be off-models, they are not mutually exclusive, in fact, some great animations out there are great BECAUSE of how loose and off-model they get, doing sick animation without worrying about being on-model on every frame, which actually gives more freedom

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

There is a difference between using distortion to produce desired effects, and the characters being deformed all the time because the animators can't keep them in model. This would be the latter.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

What is this pitched Sonic mobile game now? It looks fun and the art looks adorable but Sega rejected it wtf. Essentially it's vertical Mario Run. Here's a link to the Twitter post that shows the full footage:

https://twitter.com/Nitrome/status/1473781829358473226?s=20

Sega you fools I'd pay for a fleshed out version of that. Now there's a toilet game. Plus this looks 1000 times more fun than the trash that was Sonic Runners Adventure, or Sonic Jump Fever, or Sonic Dash 2

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  6. MH MD

MH MD

they just distort the model all the way, it's the same really :V

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Nitrome Ltd. revealed yesterday that it pitched a Sonic version of Leap Day to Sega a few years ago but got rejected. Here's gameplay footage, and they also provided other screenshots. I think it's too bad this got rejected, because it looks both really cute and really fun.

The developers did incorporate some elements from their pitch into Super Leap Day (which released pretty recently if I'm not mistaken), but they've stated they're still interested in collaborating with Sega to make it a full-fledged product.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sega you're idiots for passing on that. Idk maybe that would have upset Hardlight though?

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It feels like in order to work with Sega on these low-budget releases, it's not good enough to say you'll develop the game, you have to publish it too. See: Streets of Rage 4, Panzer Dragoon Remake. Which is bizarre.

Honestly it's hard to read where they even stand on these types of games. A few years ago Sega were publishing all sorts of stuff - maybe their foray into the pseudo-indie/mobile space didn't work? I'd like to have been in that meeting.

10. corneliab

corneliab

I dunno, this would have basically just been a Sonic-themed skin of their existing Leap Day games. It looks charming but they went on to make Super Leap Day which appears to have incorporated various Sonic elements into its game design anyways.

I think the Sonic aesthetic would have been more pleasing than what they went for in their released games, because of course I do, but I don't see this as much of a loss or anything. I probably wouldn't have bothered with this even if they did get their pitch approved since I rarely play mobile games. That said I am grateful Nitrome shared this information, I don't want to knock on them for my own tastes lol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  11. Powpuck

Powpuck

Here's an especially curious case of life imitating art:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A recently (2012) discovered extinct crocodyliform, brachiosuchus, shares its proportions with a certain private eye.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Not trying to sound like "I allrudy nu dat", but I'd actually noticed this about six years ago when I was playing NiGHTs while Home Alone was on TV constantly. I'd assumed it was well-known by NiGHTs fans back then. It was that one kid's "bluueeh" that gave it away for me.

I bet Tomoko Sasaki thought of this movie when she needed samples for childlike ambience :)

13. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I think we knew about the "Hello? Hello~?" and the "Mom?" samples but the whole thing being from Home Alone is new afaik.

14. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Just learned the NSO version of Sonic 2 is the original release ROM with the Super Sonic level clear softlock and not the revision that fixed that.

[EDIT - I forgot this bug wasn't fixed in REV01, but the never, to my knowledge, released standalone REV02]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @Blue Spikeball Please take some time out of your day (at your convenience, of course) to watch this wonderfully informative animation video:

The animation of the cut Sonic Chronicles intro is great imo, but I do agree with everyone else that the art style is off putting, matching nothing else in the game. That said, I imagine it would've been corrected to be much closer to Sonic's official design had the movie been left in. Then again, this game was rushed in so many areas, so who knows? Ultimately I guess it was for the best that we got the intro we did, since this newly unearthed one really does nothing to get you into the game. Hell, if my memory serves, you don't even battle against Eggman directly in the game.

Still, maybe the Sonic Chronicles Reimagined project will do something with it.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Thanks for sharing that video. However, and I don't mean this in a snobbish way, as someone who took a college animation course, I'm well aware of nuances like inbetweeners and exaggeration (which is what I was referring to by "using distortion to produce desired effects"). The thing is, the characters in that scrapped opening are off-model even in key frames, and most of the distortion looks unintentional to me. You could make the case for some being obviously intentional like 0:29, but there are parts like 0:35, where we see Sonic grinding down a pinnacle and he's getting distorted in ways that don't fit the action, with oversized hands and feet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. MBeca

MBeca

• Like Like x 14
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Frontiers thread is shut, so I'm posting it here:
    upload_2022-1-10_13-50-43.png

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. As a Brazilian, I'm very happy SEGA listed to us and is localizing the game for our country. It's a thing we've wanting for AGES.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like they're really trying with this one. They want to reach the most people possible with this one and actually delayed it a year for quality control. I really hope it ends up well

Very odd that Korean and Chinese are limited just to PC and Xbox. Anyone know the reason why that might be?