don't click here

'Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia', Out Now

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Only for viewing, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Pengi

Pengi

I’d certainly be interested in hearing the juicy stuff.

Any details on the Mecha Sonics?

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Wait, Ian said Infinite was dead? I don't remember that.

3. Pengi

Pengi

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Linkabel

Linkabel

I really want to see what it says about the Phantom Ruby though. It was destroyed in Forces, so what happened to Infinite?

Unless the one in Mania is the same which means Infinite is now in the Classic dimension?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the Phantom Ruby in Mania was a prototype from the Forces dimension that went wrong in an experiment and then ended up in the Mania dimension. During Forces though Mania's Phantom Ruby is never seen, Infinite is tied to a different Phantom Ruby.

Then Mania Plus happened though and at the end of that Eggman was thrown into another Phantom Ruby portal and we don't know where that went.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Decided to take the suggestion and split this to its own topic out of the Merchandise topic.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Yes, amazed this seems to be a point of controversy - I always took this scene as Marine awakening water powers in a similar vein to Blaze's fire powers. From what I recall it does come out of absolutely nowhere, but what other explanation of events is there...?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  9. Titan

Titan

UK
    Agreed completely, this was always my interpretation of the scene. Blaze has pyrokinesis, so it would make sense that Marine would have hydrokinesis, given her name and what she does in that scene. It's great to see this finally made clear that's what was going on, not that it matters as we'll probably never see Marine or Blaze's dimension again :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    yeah I find it funny that so many read this as "Infinite is dead!"

dude's probably just chillin in null space

11. Pengi

Pengi

Water powers make the most sense, given Marine's name and sort of being Blaze's Tails. But with the DS's graphics it's not even clear that it's supposed to be water, visually it's just a turquoise energy blast and an aura around her fist. Is it related to the Chaos Emeralds, Sol Emeralds, the Power of the Stars, or something else entirely? It's never foreshadowed or commented on, but it's a pivotal moment in Eggman and Eggman Nega's defeat. It's a really odd moment.

12. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
  13. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I was kinda hoping that this would stand out more with some development stories/background for each game (especially for the Genesis games with the recent prototype discoveries of Sonic 1 and 3) but it’s going the Mario Encyclopedia route which is fine.. it should still be a solid read

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  15. Linkabel

Linkabel

It's not from Archie, that's her original profile from Fighting Vipers.

She's a fashion designer that enters the Viper Tournament to show off her work.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Storytelling at its finest.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Can I join in??

Soreike! Anpanman Popcorn Kojo
    Soreike! Anpanman Popcorn Kojo 2
    Soreike! Anpanman Popcorn Kojo 3

I have a feeling the first Anpanman one might even pre-date SegaSonic Popcorn Shop. Though whether you'd call them "games" is another story.

I think the internet likes to paint these as some sort of rare novelty that didn't go anywhere, but from what I've read, Sega were (and maybe still are) maintaining these things at least 20 years after launch. It's not a case where they cut the supply of popcorn and all the machines had to be scrapped, as would probably be the case in the rest of the world.

In fact I'd probably put money on SegaSonic Popcorn Shop being more popular than SegaSonic Arcade on the opposite page there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sorry I'm inflicted with a curse called "knowing too much about arcade games":

[​IMG]

Claw machines, (including Sega's) have been sold and/or modified for grabbing food. Like these real living crabs (unless you want one for a pet?).

So food games, popcorn games and Sega-made popcorn games all exist. This is why I favour wikis over physical encyclopedias in 2021, but I guess some pseudo-official names for some lesser-known badniks is a plus.

19. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Well quite. I too pointed out the fact that there were several others - alongside the assorted Anpanman dispensers, Sega also made one for Disney.

On the basis of its popularity over there, Sonic's probably did the worst of the bunch, and although this is pure conjecture I would not be surprised if the cotton candy machine was at the very least planned to be repurposed for a more lucrative franchise and simply got forgotten about among Sega's scores of other coin-op projects.

Someone in the replies to the original tweet also seems to be claiming it got as far as a catalogue listing, though that still doesn't fully confirm whether or not it was actually sold at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The book isn’t actually claiming that Popcorn Shop is factually the only game to give you food. It’s pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek.