don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I should be angry that he tries so hard to deflect blame onto the (rightfully) angry people, but it's more embarrassing than anything.

3. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Hey, if they were truly confident and passionate about that comic they would have seen it through. But to cancel it basically because they don't want people to say bad things about it? Welcome to the world ='D

4. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I admit to being a little bit curious, but due to certain reasons that I won't mention, I'm not too bothered by this cancellation.

Came across this post on the ThanksKenPenders tumblr. As said, take it with a grain of salt, but if it's true, that's all kinds of messed up.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    This is all immensely funny, honestly. The whole debacle starts with Ken saying "pay me ten thousand dollars and you can use my characters", and someone actually takes the bait, but it turns out the kind of people who would are not only not-great at producing comics but buy into a bunch of nasty toxic shit outside of the guy they work with. Their version of Scourge is an edgy, cigar-smoking "adult" take on the character we constantly make fun of the series for approaching, and a measly four days later the whole thing is cancelled for "toxicity", a thing that Ken and his fans would know nothing about, obviously.

In short:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually after looking up, he is more an actor. No idea where I got him being in sports from.

As for the Scourge cancellation: LOL. I wonder if Ken got any money up front that he'll now not give back?

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    And just think, IDW introduced the green, spiny Sonic villainous counterpart to their world. It's a coincidence, but an amusing one.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The name of said character is two letters removed. I doubt it's a coincidence. :V

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Well, that sucks.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I mean the Scourge comic being announced and cancelled while his successor in the successor comic is introduced at the same time.

Unless they were trying to steal hype from Surge and failing miserably at it...

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Currently I do think Surge is angled to be a spiritual successor to Scourge in the same way Gemerl was to Shard when introduced in the post-Super Gensis Wave continuity of the Archie run, given that both characters are based off the Ashura glitch and have fairly similar to demeanours. With that said, I think what we know about Surge's circumstances right now set her up with the potential to be a far more interesting character in the fullness of time. Despite Ian's steps to make Scourge distinct from simply being Sonic with a biker getup and evil alignment, his legacy will always be that of an Anti-Sonic from an Anti-Mobius, an ultimately shallow character. Meanwhile, Surge's ties to Kit and Starline give her a distinct source of conflict that can be used to fuel growth and I see her ultimately breaking free of Starline and forging her own path in the future as her own faction, refusing to be tied down by her creator but also not reforming to be a do-gooder. Somewhere between Jet and Metal Sonic, really.

13. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I'm glad it's canceled. Let Scourge rest in peace, and if anyone wants a nice "closure" to his character, there's still Evans Stanley "Ghosts of the Future" :V

14. So Team Rocket.

15. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Yeah. TKP cleared that up too. My bad.

Has Ken made any kind of response to Surge and Kit? I know it's basically gonna be him bragging about Scourge being the better character, Ian and IDW sucks, blah, blah, blah. But I can't help but be a bit curious.

16. Hey guys, I'm Leechy Boi. I have been EXTENSIVELY documenting this entire controversy and I'm publishing my findings. Here's a link to a Twitter thread on the topic aswell as the more in-depth document. I can confirm this SnukVA guy has previously been in Sonic communities under aliases such as "The King of Green" and "Archie Sonic the Hedgehog" but anything before, including Dillin Thomas' claims, I do not have strong evidence of. This is why the RUSH Comics twitter got mobbed, why Bobby Schroeder erroneously reported on the other comic, and why Ken Penders has been sporadically tweeting into the void about imposters and hackers and bad actors.

https://twitter.com/leechy_boi/status/1464269951037018124

https://t.co/Grsc9PYyDG?amp=1

I'll be trying to check this thread as often as possible and I'm open to answering any questions both here and in private. All parties involved consented to the screenshots used in this document, and honestly I just want to clear the air of this already.

Part of this was because of the debate if Ken had legal ownership of the character still. The Canvas Discord server was deleted after Snuk had gotten everyone into a VC and claimed Ken Penders had just called him and revoked ownership, same day RUSH announced the Speed Demon comic. Nicobee dm'd me on Twitter and asked about comments by me and other members of Canvas on the post and I explained what Canvas was doing, showed him what we had so far, and all of SnukVA's claims around it. I can't hard confirm this is why they actually pulled the plug, but I can confirm it's atleast was a contributing factor.

To comment on this, based on what Ken Penders has told me in emails and corroborated with Skype screesnhots, the RUSH Comics' Scourge the Speed Demon series was in development for about a month before the announcement. That doesn't mean they didn't do this intentionally, but they probably had more work done than just the cover. I'd hope.

I had been talking with Bobby Schroeder for months at this point about the comic; she was an expert on the Archie series and was an invaluable resource back when everyone believed SnukVA owned the rights to the character. The tweet that Ken would later make was in response to an email I sent him, not a refutation of Bobby's post. Bobby took her article down so as to not spread misinformation when Snuk sent me those really, REALLY poorly doctored receipts and also couldn't keep his version of events straight. I told Bobby immediately, she reported in good faith.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Shade and Sonic Chronicles are featured in the Encyclo-speed-ia and Ken is... less than amused.

18. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    He's coping. He knows he isn't as big a deal to SEGA as he likes to pretend he is despite how we kind of also egg on that idea in his head because we entertain the thought of whether or not he's a big deal to SEGA.

19. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Does he really believe, that he owns Shade? It's insane if he does.