don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Ahh, that must be why I hadn't seen much talk about it. That would make sense.

2. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Sonic Colors Ultimate just got updated on Xbox. The update was about 8GB but I can't find any changelog or patch notes.

I can't test right now and I don't know if anyone notice any difference or fix..

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  3. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Eight GIGABYTES?! Please I need to know what the update is even though I don't have the game.

4. MH MD

MH MD

it's probably just downloading the whole game again, some games do updates like that especially on Xbox, for example Forza is notorious for having 100+GB updates,when in reality it only fix couple of small things

5. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Still no sign of the PS4 patch.

Were they supposed to push it out for the US the same day as Japan, but just didn't for some reason?

6. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

I heard one source say that it reverted the falling robots in sweet mountain 2 to fall at their original, slower speed, which is a bit baffling since I actaully saw some praise for that change (it speeds up the game, makes it less of a stop+go experience). But since I haven't bought it I can't verify.

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Well, the robots falling faster in Sweet Mountain 2 *was* a good change, as it was always awkward standing there waiting for them to come down. The problem was that they changed EVERY instance of Egg Pawns falling, and there are some cases where that doesn't work as well.

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yep, I can confirm the Egg Pawns do fall more slowly in the 1.05 patch-similar to the speed in the 2010 release. I know because I have the Jp PS4 version which received the new patch. I actually did a live stream of the 1.05 patch (see my playthrough below). I immediately noticed the slower falling speed of the Egg Pawns (see time-stamp 1:06:15 - forgive my crappy commentary in the video - also 2:49:00 for Aquarium Park act1).

Also hears a screenshot of the 1.05 patch installed:

[​IMG]

I've played Ultimate a lot since it came out (PS4 version) and I've had a good time with it. I don't think the Metal Sonic races & the Jade Wisp were necessary editions, but new content is nice. The customizations don't do much for me, although the "Movie boost & Movie aura" looks neat. I prefer the original lives system but the replacement Tails-Save system does come in handy.

On the downside I've encountered plenty of glitches pre-1.05 patch; sound glitches and sometimes the game just stops working and I have to restart. A few weeks ago I finally managed to get a PS5 and when I played Ultimate on PS5 (patch 1.03) I encountered a game-breaking glitch which also corrupted the save-file... :argh:

Patch 1.05 doesn't appear to fix anything else significant apart from the speed of the falling Egg-Pawns. Although, I didn't encounter any sounds glitches so maybe they've been fixed as well. Oh and the game stopped working one time whilst I was streaming the new patch...

Sonic Colours is a good game but the remaster is an utter mess. Gutted this is how SEGA/Blind Squirell treat what should have been a good remaster of one of my favourite Sonic games. Sigh...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    • List
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I also notice the patch reimplemented the red ring score effect that went previously unused. REALLY glad they fixed the speed for the Egg Pawn drops in Aquarium Park, because they hit me almost every time.

Huh, ok well some things are being fixed, that's good

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Could you elaborate on this, please? If you're talking about grabbing Red Rings giving points, they've done that since launch, but I'm sure I must be misunderstanding here.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh it's the graphical effect after getting a red ring, a 3000 points graphic moves from center screen to the top right. That graphical effect existed in the files but it went unused until this patch (someone reimplemented it via a mod on the PC version)

Hey question in 1.05 are the menus still laggy and jank as hell or did they fix that.

• List
  12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Yes, you can navigate between the menus much faster now. Although they still feel a little stiff.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Patch notes from Sonic's social media

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  14. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    weirdly enough this is the best one for me, that Perfect Homing Attack sound was way too grating originally

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Yeah, the audio tweaks and the music now looping in the end-credits are good improvements. A decent patch.

My EU copy of Ultimate has now received update version 1.05 (which the Jp version had previously received). So I assume 2.6 patch is the version 1.05.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What ive noticed from playing for 20 minutes:

• Did they change some of the lighting or is that just me? Tropical Resort looks a little brighter now
    • They fixed the underground drill section layering issues
    • The perfect homing attack sound is no longer grating
    • No crashes yet
    • The Lazer wisp effect, while still not perfect, is closer to what it should be
    • Those awful lakitu robots or whatever they're called had their rate of fire adjusted to work with 60 fps, so now it's not impossible to dodge them (these were among my biggest issues at launch)
    • Haven't encountered any sound/music cutting out glitches yet, maybe they're fixed?
    And now for issues that still remain:
    • Sonic's pupils still don't move
    • The sound mixing is better but not perfect, there are still instances of spring noises mixing with dash pad noises
    • From what I could tell none of the pop in issues have been fixed
    • On the pc anyway the pause menu is still whatever the fuck size it feels like being at the time, there's no consistency as to when it'll be landscape or portrait justified
    • Also on the PC the game still runs at a weird resolution which can still easily be fixed via the debug mod
    • Slow menus are slow
    • There are still some 60 fps conversions that need to be done. Like the lakitu bots fire at their old rate now but the animation for them is still twice as fast, meanwhile Sonic on the map his footstep sounds don't line up with the much slower walking animation. Also they still need to fix the auto paths where Sonic just starts jittering wildly
    So they fixed a good chunk of things, but not all. But hey with another patch on the way maybe? Honestly these changes alone are more post launch support than most Sonic games ever get saved for Unleashed, the one magnificent exceptions oddly in the early days of DLC where now said dlc packs are almost now the norm... but yea lol.

But the changes they addresses 1st were more important. They brought the game up to speed so it works like you'd expect it to now but now it needs the additional polish

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
  19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I have mixed feelings about revising game ratings. On one hand several of the glaring problems have been fixed making it a better experience. But on the other hand games shouldn't be released in an unfinished and downright unacceptable state, and game developers should be penalized for doing so. I also don't like revising history.

Maybe the happy medium is to leave your user score untouched and do a second review?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ That's a fair compromise. Reviews shouldn't be altered after things are fixed because that review reflects the at launch version that they believed was in an acceptable state and it clearly wasn't. But they fixed things and that's somewhat commendable.

That being said this trend of "release a game and finish it later" has got to stop. I mean fuck the GTA trilogy made this look like Game of the Year, and Nintendo seems fine drip feeding content over the course of forever (Animal Crossing, although that one I kinda get, Kirby Star Allies, Mario Golf Super Rush, Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Party Superstar possibly... Basically any Switch Mario spin off wtf?)