don't click here

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Roller, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    To be fair, they're better suited for smaller characters like Cream or Tails. Plus Lego already has a pre-existing Sonic minifigure that they can just change how they paint.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I'll admit I'll be a little disappointed if there's no Death Egg Robot in the final set, as it was the centrepiece of the design and one of the things which really attracted to me to the idea in the first place - it was clear a lot of thought had been put into how to create something with a lot of playability which would also look good as a display piece. Obviously putting it in with a Green Hill Zone set made it very specifically Mania-related though - the leak seems to suggest the developed version is more of a "LEGO Classic Sonic" set than specifically Sonic Mania, in which case it (and the Hard-Boiled Heavies) would sadly no longer fit with the rest of the design.

Assuming the leak is genuine, the idea that there'll be more terrain pieces sounds good - however, I hope there'll still be customisability in terms of how you can fit them together, and that elements like the spring maintain the playable aspects set out in the original design. Hopefully the designs are flexible enough that you can assemble them slightly wrongly to allow for 90-degree turns in the terrain if desired, as a long series of terrain pieces won't fit on my shelf otherwise...! The brick-built Eggman still being there is great news, as is having at least an Eggmobile for him to interact with - hopefully it's been designed to allow it to interact with other bricks easily, so that you can build your own unique boss machines with any spare bricks you have lying around, haha! The Crabmeat badnik should hopefully look good as there was a great concept produced for it during the support phase, though sadly it sounds like the more iconic Motobug and Buzz Bomber may have fallen by the wayside.

Taking anything with a pinch of salt for now, but excited to see exactly what's been cooked up. If the leaked date is true, I don't reckon we'll have to wait too much longer to see for ourselves what the finished set entails. = )

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    lmao boy am I cognisant. No Death Egg Robot no buy, simple as

4. Glaber

Glaber

Maybe Lego or Sega thinks separating the Death Egg Robot into a separate set is a better idea and that's why it's not in this set?

Who knows, we could get a metal sonic, or silver Sonic mini figure to go with it.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    I admire your optimism, sure hope you're right.

6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I wouldn't count on content being saved for other future set ideas - though it's not unheard of for additional sets with the same licensed property to be produced at a later date, from what I've seen the majority of IDEAS sets tend to be one-offs. Working on the assumption that this set is all the LEGO Sonic we're likely to get is probably the safest way to avoid disappointment in the long-run.

Don't get me wrong though - if it's popular enough and SEGA and LEGO are game for more I'd totally be up for a proper series of non-IDEAS Sonic sets with similar compatible terrain from different Zones, especially if it meant getting proper minifigs of other characters like Tails, Knuckles etc! = )

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Roller will just have to post build instructions for us if SEGA/LEGO did indeed unjustly shitcan it. :ssh: Fan restorations of scrapped content? Same as it ever was

8. Jammin'

Jammin'

Extremely into X-Treme Member
    THIS IS REALLY COOL! heard about this in the sonic central video and was instantly hyped! hopefully its out soon.
    plus, its two of my favorite things mixed together! sonic, and lego. i am so frickin excited for this.

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Not as flashy as the original version, but still 110% buying.

11. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
  12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think it looks cute but it’s a tad disappointing they cut it down from the initial proposal. Maybe they’re saving the other stuff in the proposal for other sets?

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's a disappointment what they've done to it from the original approved design but yeah I still want that.

14. Wildcat

Wildcat

It looks really good. I understand they probably wanted it to be more based on Sonic 1.

I would have added Robotnik’s wrecking ball attachment to give him some kind of weapon.

15. Glaber

Glaber

the nice thing about robotnick's weapons is they're usually attachments to the eggmobile. So if you could find the right part for the ball, you could use other pieces for the ball and chain attachment.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I've attempted to embed a tweet in the first post, but it didn't quite work. Could a moderator assist me there, please?

[​IMG]

But yes, it's true - the LEGO Sonic Mania concept I pitched on the LEGO Ideas platform has become this model. to be available on January 1st 2022. Suffice to say it was necessary to allow this model to be produced at all, and am thankful I remained involved in the process to help shape it into something more refined than the so-so build quality of my my original pitch.

While the mech, flickies and heavies are no longer present, basically all of the other play features remain, coupled with an increased structural integrity, chunkiness, and display appeal. It consists of four modules, of which two are endcaps; those two can be joined together to become an in-between module, if you want to create a very *long* Green Hill Zone.

I also will be sharing an alternate build design that will allow you to build a set of alternate modules and badniks with another copy next month, when I get the opportunity to put the instructions together.

As for development secrets and scrapped content: Give me a bit, today's been a big excitement. I haven't even had lunch yet...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Curious, why'd they choose to scrap the flickies? They seem fairly innocent

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm really, really pleased for you. You worked hard on this and it's great to see that you were involved in the whole process.

Personally, I'm disappointed that it no longer carries any Mania branding. That is what set it above any old GHZ merchandise in my opinion. The final product is more of what I'd expect from a licensed Sonic product in terms of content, and less of what I'd really want.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Same, but idk this many years post Mania I feel like that branding would just get people's hopes up. Best to keep it simple/timeless and just say its a classic Sonic GHZ set