don't click here

Why doesn't Sega ever port Sonic Unleashed to the PC?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by John Chrysler, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Porting unleashed to pc would show up the newer sonic games and how much they dialed back on the eye candy and engine features :P Unleashed hedgehog engine is so pretty.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

All I want for a potential PC port of Unleashed is ultra widescreen support, maybe HDR and higher resulotion textures.

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    @Diablohead That’s assuming they wouldn’t butcher the graphics like they have on so many of their other ports. :P

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Guess what they did?

The game now runs at 60FPS, apparently with higher resolution as well.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  5. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Damn, at this point, Sega should just reissue the original in a new package since it's effectively been "remastered" by the system's software at this point.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I already wanted to upgrade from my base Xbox One at some point. Waffled for a while since a lot of Xbox's new output is also coming to PC, but. Yeah. I wanted higher FPS Unleashed and now it exists. I'm glad! Not so glad for my wallet, but hey.

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Playing Unleashed in 60 fps feels....so bizarre lol. 13 years of 20-something fps will do that to a man I guess haha.
    It's seriously amazing tho. We more or less got an hd remaster of the game without the need for any rerelease.

8. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    Except for the people with only a PS5 or only a PC (or both but not an XBSX/S)...

Yeah, this game should still get a rerelease.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Seeing Unleashed as an actually functioning video game (:P) is pretty surreal.

10. corneliab

corneliab

No joke 60fps Unleashed is what's going to get me to buy a Series X (or maybe just Series S). I have a mighty, mighty need for this.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Assuming Sega has the metrics for new sales for Sonic Unleashed via the digital storefront, and also sees gameplay time for online connected consoles, it could be used as leverage to do a full-on port. Bayonetta was backwards compatible on Xbox months before the PC release, and before the native Bayonetta/Vanquish combo pack was released, so it's not unheard of.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I managed to find a Series S for retail a couple months ago and this news today made me very happy. I immediately bought Unleashed (no point in getting the other two in my situation because I have a PC that can run them) and when I get the chance I will be playing the crap out of it. Was never my favorite but I had good times playing it on the 360, after years of only having played the Wii version.

But yeah, I think this is an interesting topic. I'm gonna echo Jason's comments and hope that sales of the updated version will prompt a PC port.

13. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Great news, sadly I already staked my claim in the console wars by snagging a PS5. Which means the only mainline 3D Sonic game I can play on that without subscribing to PS Now is Sonic Forces.

yay

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And PSNow emulates PS3 Unleashed, so no improvements whatsoever (actually worse since you're technically streaming it so add lag).

Hmm yea this changes things. I wanted a PS5 but now Xbox has this... hmm idk

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Backward compatibility has been a huge plus for xbox this gen.
    Playing 360 games in 4K60 fps is amazing, but maybe even more amazing is playing the infamously loading-heavy 8th generations games with instant loading screens. It's a godsend.

16. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    Y'know the official Sonic the Hedgehog Facebook has been kind of going all out with the Unleashed imagery within the past few days to the tune of a lot of positive feedback (especially when they showed the HD footage). A significant number of commenters are even asking for a PC port. I know it's just social media, but I'm sure those cries are being seen — maybe a PC port isn't such an unattainable goal after all *shrug*.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    This seemed relevant:

Screenshot_20211118-183613.png

That's probably why Sega hasn't ported it. The way I remembered Unleashed was significantly better than the actual experience of trying to play through it again, haha.

I still say a remaster could tweak a few relatively minor things and make a much better game, though.

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah, Unleashed is one of those games where it's really easy to keep on the rose-tinted glasses when you're not playing it. Those 10/10 segments are wonderful, but when you're not playing Unleashed, you kinda forget that you're only going to be spending, like, 25-30% of your time in them. Bumping up the frame rate and making it not crap the bed is very nice but doesn't really change the fact that Unleashed isn't a great game all-around. (It also doesn't change the shit button mapping, lol)

I brought this up on the Discord recently, but I personally believe that a large reason Unleashed is so fondly remembered nowadays is because of the Unleashed Project. It basically presented the best parts, and only the best parts, of Unleashed, alongside the improved controls and extra bells and whistles that the Generations engine provides. I'm of the opinion that a lot of people played the mod in Generations, or kept replaying the daytime levels over and over again, and that's largely what they remember Unleashed from.

19. I don't know, I've seen a lot of people praising Werehog stages too recently. But yeah, mostly of people likes to praise how beutiful the day stages are and stuff like that.

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I didn't want to go in and say this is just nostalgia goggles, but this is just nostalgia goggles.