don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, I know nothing about Archie comics but in the 90's I also conceived a transformation named Ultra Sonic, which probably has nothing to do with archie's since I had gameplay mechanics in mind and a background for it consistent with the lore of the games (and still have, maybe one day I'll implement it somewhere).

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Same. I conceived my version as requiring the Master Emerald itself, and thus being neon green.

And the idea itself makes sense, since sonic, supersonic, hypersonic, and ultrasonic are all actual words. I almost wonder if that's why Sega declared Hyper forms non-canon: they didn't wanna just pile on shit-tons of forms like Super Saiyan did.

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Mine uses a different set of jewels and has elemental shields as a requirement and influence, it's "ultra" because it needs you to get one step beyond but also goes one step beyond Super. I conceived this because Super didn't have a double-jump skill while Hyper had the ultimate one, so I wanted an alternative or middle ground.

NEXT DAY EDIT: Forgot to clarify that having a shield wasn't a requirement in my 90's concept; the "unshielded" variant was assigned to the basic blue shield instead when I refined the old idea in recent years.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

You gave your Ultra Sonic concept much more thought than Archie ever gave theirs :V

5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Guys, if someone pays him 10k for Scourge, and then create a character, a clone of Scourge - let's call him "Urgexsco"...

Then, Urgexsco is a totally new character, and it belongs to the creator, right?

6. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    Technically, that would depend on the terms of the contract - the reason Ken was allowed to take the rights for his characters/stories was because Archie couldn't produce an original contract that he signed, meaning all the copyrights defaulted to him. But also could you imagine.

7. Forte

Forte

Poland
    I suppose Kenders would feature a paragraph, that derivatives of the characters belong to him, if created.

Still, it would be hilarious if somebody bought the rights, created clones and got the rights to them.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Quick, delete the paper trail before he responds with such a thing! We’ll have cock rings for our own original character, Blourge (he’s definitely not just Scourge but turned blue by the Slave Beryl)!

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

And you don't know even half the story. ;)
    But this thread is for Penders, let's not prevent him from getting the attention he so much wants and deserves. :ruby:

10. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Oh boy

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    That ain't Scourge, that's Chronic The Hemphog

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    The irony of this is bitter and pathetic. I can’t help but balk at the fact that, after all the stink he’s made about SEGA “stealing” “his” work, he’s somehow able to license this. Penders created Evil Sonic, a shallowly realised and shallowly named character that’s literally just Sonic in a biker jacket and sunglasses. Everything that made Scourge who he is and that made him popular in the first place came from Ian and the artists working with him.

I know this isn’t really anything new given the legions of Knuckles copypastes but at least Ken had a claim to having done all the copypasting work with that. It’s appallingly hypocritical of him to try and pass this character off as his work. I know Ian’s too professional to make a stink about this but lord this is just insulting.

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  15. Forte

Forte

Poland
    This somehow just doesn't feel right.

16. Even better irony is, I saw a tweet explaining that for the majority of Ken's run on the book, Scourge (as evil Sonic) solely referred to himself as "Sonic the Hedgehog". It wasn't until just shy of Ian's run that (iirc) someone else coined the nickname "Evil Sonic". Let that sink in.

17. Forte

Forte

Poland
    I've read The Sonic Stadium thread about Penders. Now that's a wild ride...

Long story short - the artist behind this comic is following questionable people on twitter, and Ian Flynn once reviewed other series by this company (I believe it was called Rush?) which had a questionable things in the plot.

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Yeah, but it's best left to that thread, and probably not this one.

Extremely surprising and not-at-all expected hypocritical behavior that Mister "Bioware plagiarized me" is happy to steal Flynn, Yardley and Spaziante's work, though. Really fun how inspiration is theft but lifting shit wholesale is fair game.

19. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    My first thought upon seeing Penders' Scourge comic was "I am not medicated enough for this." As people have said, this iteration of Scourge looks an awful lot like Green Movie Sonic (as well as Johnny Test).

Like with TLSC, I plan on pirating this when it comes out just to enjoy the trainwreck that might happen from what's basically a bootleg of Sonic the Hedgehog at this point.

20. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm surprised they didn't really change that much to his design to differentiate him from Sonic. And his eyes being the most drastic change just makes him look like movie Sonic. :psyduck: