don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I know how vague this sounds, but I recall people finding evidence in the game code around a decade ago that Unleashed was originally going to have a day/night cycle like that. I think it was posted in the Generations modding thread in Sonic Stadium, although it might have been here. Don't remember what the evidence in question was, but someone brought up that the Hedgehog Engine doesn't support dynamic lighting, possibly explaining why the feature was dropped.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice catch - it's in the PS3 manual on the same page as well, here's my Canadian copy's version (a slightly higher quality image, too):

unleashed_beta_hud_ps3_us_manual_p12.jpg
    The whole "wait until Day/Night" option here does reek a little bit of a last-minute fix for not being able to have this feature.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Linkabel

Linkabel

What else could it be if it's not supposed to show time passing in real-time? Any ideas?

I tried to look for this but can't seem to find it, or at least the forum search option is not being helpful. I believe Yoshihisa Hashimoto did say the Hedgehog Engine does not support dynamic light sources during GDC2009.

4. While we're at it, here's my own scan of the section in the USA/PS3 Unleashed manual:

unleashedmanual_townstagescan.jpg

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Oh very neat info! And yes, we have a graphic from the final game that says 50% Version for AOU Show, weather or not it was really 50% is debatable.

The thing that stands out here to me really is they couldn't decide if Eggman should be in a mech or not, as there is a mechless Eggman and BIG Eggman ala Big Mahler via Fighting Vipers. So that's a thing.

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
  7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    So I was casually scrolling through the directory and found something interesting...

illust314g.png

illust314g uses a tile from illust290g.

illust290g.png

I thought this was an error during my conversions so I re-extracted the file and ended up with the same result... then I saw illust289g:

illust289g.png

So I'm guessing illust314g actually goes unused?! I think this is the EN version of the Gems museum.afs, so I will have to check if this is also in the JP version.

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    It's officially confirmed, Knuckles will arrive on Fall Guys.

Interestingly we don't have Tails or Eggman yet.

Attached Files:

9. Thanks for sharing this. I play occasionally and I was always bummed I didn’t have the Sonic outfit. Though I must say that I think my Bomberman is a bit more pleasing to look at than this Knuckles lol.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Probably... I only know that it happens once in a while ... but I managed to upload them two days later... it's a bit weird...

12. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Glad to hear that! I got a bit confused while playing around with the file formats and sizes. But if it's just the uploader it makes things a lot easier, at least for us.

13. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Just playing Ys II, minding my own business, when suddenly...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It doesn't seem this has ever been mentioned online in the ten years this translation has existed, somehow.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    I am suprised myself, as a big Ys and Sonic fan, never noticed this before. I feel like not many people will know/care about what Ys is around these parts, but it's nice to know the people that did that localization were likely Sonic fans lol

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  15. Pengi

Pengi

What version of Ys II is that (title, platform)?

16. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    It's Ys I & II Chronicles+ on GOG/Steam.

• List
  17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I believe Sara was involved in that one, don't quote me though.

She is an oldbie however.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  19. I am shocked I didn’t notice this when playing the Ys games for the first time last year. I guess the lispy spellings threw me off, but still surprised. Cool catch!

20. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    It sure does look like Unleashed, Generations, and ASRT are getting FPS Boost support on Series X (and S?) for the Xbox 20th event tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/JonComms/status/1459421445138923523

I'm so excited to finally have an official way to play Unleashed at 60fps. RPCS3 has been great, but it's never been 100 percent stable on my machine, both framerate and crashing wise.

• Like Like x 2
    • List