don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Sonic Rangers sounds more like a fangame name.

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I mean it was obvious that "Rangers" was never the final title, given that they (basically publicly) decided not to reveal the title during the livestream.

3. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    let's have a moment of silence for this independent hi-fi stereo company also named Sonic Frontiers... may your business survive the future google search nightmare...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  4. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Neat to have a tiny bit of info on the upcoming game. At the very least, hope this finally ends the "zAp" stuff.

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

Not crazy about either name. Frontiers does sound like an open world name though.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    personally I really like the name Sonic Frontiers, I think it's pretty cool! It has a very grand and epic vibe to it

I'm just curious because I have literally no idea how trademarking works, does this mean we'll see a gameplay reveal soon? Maybe at the game awards in December? Or are we still gonna be in the dark on this game for a while?

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I like it more than Rangers, but less than Chaos, haha.

The idea of an open-world Sonic game doesn't inherently appeal to me, but as usual, I'll allow myself to be cautiously optimistic. Dunkey said something a while back about how increasingly rare it is that "the whole game is the good part," and most open worlds just devolve into this tedious padding for me. That's what I'm worried about. I'd still much rather have a game that's a few hours long and endlessly replayable than something that lasts dozens of hours but feels like a slog most of the time. But it sure doesn't seem like most of the AAA market agrees with me. :V

So, I just hope we're getting replayable action stages (preferably in the vein of Unleashed and Generations) alongside whatever open world stuff might be in there. If they can just get that part right, then I'll gladly push through the open world, same as I could push aside the "not the good parts" in games like SA2 and Unleashed.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
  9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sonic: A New Frontier, featuring Clementine.

10. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Kind of disappointed, honestly. Sonic Rangers and Sonic Frontiers are both awful titles in my opinion. Can't wait to die inside when it's more boost gameplay, but I'll still remain optimistic until they release a trailer.

11. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Calling it right now: switch version is gonna be 900p 30fps. Gen 9 gets a graphical upgrade so insignificant that no one will notice. Gotta have that Nintendo version, weaker specs be damned.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I said this in the Colours thread, but they really ought to just build the game around Switch specs if it’s already possible to fit the concept onto the system. Sonic sells best on Nintendo and isn’t a graphical powerhouse that serves to showcase cutting edge advancements because the strength of its visuals is a strong art direction (for the games that have this). I can live with Sonic’s farts having a few less glowy particles if I can play 1080p/60fps when docked.

13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Do Switch users in general care that much about getting top-notch performance, though? From my experience most don't, otherwise they would have picked a more powerful system.

14. As a switch user, I absolutely do not. Why would I care about 4k ultra HD mumbo jumbo, when those extra resources could just go into making the game... better lmao? I'd take a fun game over a good looking game any day. Dunno why so many people nowadays are so hung up on the graphics of their interactive movies...

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    At this point I think it’s important to distinguish performance from graphics. I do care about performance because a 60fps is more responsive and so feels better to me. As such, I’m willing to sacrifice graphics such such as high anti-aliasing, full reflections, ray tracing and so on in order to achieve that.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I agree that performance is more important than visuals in a game like Sonic. But let me rephrase my question. Do most Switch users care about performance (framerate) that much?

17. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Its weird, Sonic sells best on Nintendo as they all say. But they can't exclusively sell on Nintendo cos the last time they tried that was one of the most boneheaded exclusivity agreements in gaming history that forced them to eat debt for breakfast. So clearly being ported to the other 3 (ps, xbox, pc) gives them enough money that the return on the investment is worth it, otherwise they wouldn't even do it.

18. Sonic Frontiers....honestly its hard for me to even guage an opinion on that name.

Frontiers sounds weird tho, would have just preferred the singular conjugation. Rolls off the tongue better.

19. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Frontiers implies exploration, new locales and vistas to wow us.

Gonna be interesting seeing how they do that considering they leaned on the crutch of Green Hill Zone for the entirety of the past decade. Do Sonic Team still have an artistic bone in their body?

20. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep the open world locales more traditional like they did in Sonic Lost World (grass, desert, ice, etc.)