don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    For a remaster, that's pretty good, too. Looks like that's the first time any Sonic game has charted on all formats since Secret Rings on the Wii (which came out in a relatively dry period and still had Wii hype launch working its magic for it).

Hopefully Colors doing well and a good box office run for the Sonic 2 movie will convince Sega to put a little more marketing muscle behind Rangers, feels like the series as a whole has been flying under the radar for quite some time.

2. karlafalves

karlafalves

Gaia Gate Guard Member
    Brazil
    Any info about how many copies were sold through Epic Store?

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

Also curious on epic sales. I for one refuse to buy it until it's on other pc stores without denuvo.

4. MH MD

MH MD

epic sales in general are shit, even for big games, people don't actually buy from there, they only go to epic for free games.
    but it's okay, the publishers get insane amount of money in exchange for epic exclusivity, more than they gain from actual sales, so it's okay

wait for when it goes to steam for actual sales and players gain

5. karlafalves

karlafalves

Gaia Gate Guard Member
    Brazil
    Yes to both phrases :D

I wonder until when this strategy will work. OK, you get an insane amount of money from Epic a priori, but nobody buys your game from there and, when you release it on other platforms one year later, nobody could care less about it anymore. I'm light-years far from being a marketing/economics expert, but I don't see any other advantage to your franchise than the money perspective. And it seems to me that there is more to a product's life than that.

6. MH MD

MH MD

Publishers are frankly idiots, they see the short term gain from that fortnite money, while ignoring the long term benefits , i could excuse smaller developers for taking the deal, but when huge publishers like Square Enix and SEGA goes to EGS for some quick money while halting the actual growth of the sales, it's baffling,it's not like they lack the money.

anyway some games actually gain popularity again when the come to steam a year later and actually sells well, while other games arrive to steam when no one cares anymore, so for all we know it can gain sales again later.

it kills all the hype for PC users tho that's for sure

7. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    One good example of this is Hades.

When it first came out in early access on EGS, there was some initial hype before "oh, EGS". A year later, it goes onto Steam, got an initial burst of hype as people actually played it, and then exploded in popularity on launch. It actually worked out really well for Supergiant, as they released Hades in early access (so the one year exclusivity didn't actually hurt them all too much: I've noticed people tend to buy less into Early Access games these days). I think games that release in full tend to not do as well on the EGS to Steam transition, unless they keep their announcement quiet and pump the hype machine up for the Steam launch.

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    and also supergiant is tiny. people tend to forget that in the EGS discussion; they very likely needed the extra money to make a game at that scale. Transistor for instance was originally planned to have hundreds of ability combinations like how Hades does but was severely pared down by release.

9. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    I know Supergiant is small, but they've done pretty well for themselves. Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre all did pretty well from memory. I don't think Transistor and Pyre did Bastion/Hades numbers, but they also weren't in danger of dying.

Not to say that the EGS cash wasn't more helpful compared to - say, Square Enix or SEGA getting it. Hades released in EA, after all, and I feel like that was something that wouldn't have happened if they didn't need some funds to help keep Hades' development going and fulfill their vision.

10. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    Did that without any real promo too. Especially with all the chaos that came when the early access dropped. Why they kinda ate that...

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    They make all their money from Fortnite anyway. The current EGS scheme may not be workable long-term but it's arguably a loss leader to get stuff like Fortnite and Rocket League everywhere. Inasmuch as I have little to no interest in Fortnite but still have the EGS executable... it works?

12. Frostav

Frostav

EGS means insta-money and plenty of businesses want money NOW instead of waiting. It is what it is. Especially when your game is an outsourced port by a pretty no-name company that you clearly didn't care much about.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic fans: "WAAAAH SONIC COLORS ULTIMATE SUCKS!!!!!111!! There are so many glitches how Sega how could you release it unfinished?!?!?!?"

Rockstar: "pfft, amateurs"

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sega finishes what Rockstarts.

15. All this tells me is that Nintendo are still the kings.

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Apparently there was another patch in the last week or so...I didn't hear a peep about it. Has anyone put it through its paces yet?

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Unless yet another patch has come out, I think some YouTuber called TWIP went through it and it’s mostly just visual bugs and adding more credits to the game. I doubt SEGA will put more resources into the game because they were happy to let it release in such a state and nobody’s really making noise about it anymore.

18. MH MD

MH MD

They already confirmed they are working on patches tho, but it will take time

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I heard the patch fixed the weird audio things that happened when you were wearing headphones but I haven't confirmed it yet.

20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Not sure if everyone's talking about the same patches, but Japan recently released one for the PS4 version in the last few days - and only Japan, and they announced it about a day earlier as an error.
    V 1.05 has yet to show up for anyone else.