don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

The Shun Goku Satsu, also known as "Akuma shows up, everybody dies". Apparently this is X, X, right, A, Z on the default Street Fighter Alpha Saturn control scheme.

[​IMG]

Even though Akuma isn't in Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge, his signature move is. And it unlocks extra turbo settings to make the game unplayable.

The lad gets everywhere.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3/Hidden content

I spent the afternoon verifying every single Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Kombat Kode to make sure they work on Saturn. And they do. I even took screenshots for some.

"Rain in the graveyard" is an infamous message but I quite like these two. They're tips for a couple of 1995 Williams pinball games, No Fear and Jack-Bot - the No Fear one can net you an extra 25 million points, while the Jack-Bot one... reveals a Mortal Kombat 3 Kombat Kode. So in Midway's world, where magazines and the internet didn't exist, you would learn about Mortal Kombat 3's secrets through a Jack-Bot secret.

[​IMG]
    It also has this game inside.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And things I'm not sure have been explained even 25 years after launch.

Then again, UMK3 was also the game that brought us Ermac, named after an error you might have seen in the original Mortal Kombat if the operator just happened to have the test menu open and some things weren't working properly. And of course Rain exists in the attract mode with no other purpose than to mess with people (though not in this port - characters take too long to load!).

Mortal Kombat would go through a phase of taking itself stupidly seriously, before reverting slightly to its original light hearted nature. But I think it peaked here - having all the ninjas played by the same guy was part of the joke.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  3. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Whilst nobody is replying to these Hidden Content posts, I'd like to point out that I find them highly interesting, and lack of reply is only down to lack of knowledge on this subject.

Anyway, I'm going to stop chain posting myself and start afresh. After going through hundreds of cover discs and "internet directory" discs on the internet archive I've come across a new "world record" for earliest archived Sega webpage. Unfortunately this is from a directory where they saved the HTML page without images, but they also saved a screenshot of the page. It's not dated, but I also have this page archived from magazine screenshots ... it should be from April 1995. I've also started a website to rehost these, and fill in the gaps from other sources, will start a new thread when it's ready to go live. Lots of the content carried over from segaoa.com to sega.com, just with a change of format.

[​IMG]

4. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    It does not mean there is no interest... I remember seeing that page in some magazine, some time ago... excellent job, Sir Dragon! ... Keep us posted ;) ...

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If Scarred Sun was here I'd imagine she'd be keen to host them here on this server.

I wouldn't place bets on that being organised any time soon though

6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    That would be awesome...

7. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I meant Black Squirrels "Hidden Content" posts , not mine, but thanks for your concern :p

And yeah, Scarred Sun posted about this a decade ago, unfortunately segaoa.com still isn't available, so I had to settle for segaoa.online .... it currently somewhat works (well, three pages, including an error page), but knowing me it will take an eternity until it's finished.

Oh, and unlike some "preservationists" everyone is free to rehost "my content" which I pirated and have no rights to whatsoever. Actually, going by the commented out HTML it's "Jim Hart" AKA "Vagabond" who "owns" this content. I wonder if he still has the original files?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  8. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Whoops! My bad :) ... but it does not means that Black Squirrels "Hidden Content" posts are uninteresting... on the contrary... :)

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    RE: Everyone sucks

[​IMG]

GameFAQs is often vague and disorganised, so I've been using the last two issues of Sega Saturn Magazine (UK) for cheats. Back when I was 8 years old, these were the greatest pages put to print, because not only was it a list of Saturn games in an age before reliable internet, it told you how to break them.

This Mortal Kombat Trilogy section was probably printed in an earlier issue, but September 1998 is far enough back to shame others. I'm verifying cheats individually and... half of these don't work. "Strange endurance mode" doesn't happen, and "unlimited continues" neither works nor makes any sense because there are no continues in Trilogy. Prototype? PlayStation version? Don't know nor care yet, but as far as the final Saturn version goes, this is wrong.

But what about "open red and blue "?" menus"? Erm, nope. The menus don't exist and that code doesn't do anything (in fact, any face button will stop the "story screen" and throw you into the main menu). Basically, SSM didn't check, but the magazine would close in a month's time so it doesn't really matter.

Now when sites like GameFAQs started becoming big, I'm fairly sure codes were copied en masse from magazines, and what a surprise:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/saturn/197998-mortal-kombat-trilogy/cheats

Re-worded, but no more accurate. Basically, GameFAQs didn't check.

https://www.consoledatabase.com/cheats/segasaturn/mortalkombattrilogy/

Google "Mortal Kombat Trilogy Saturn cheats" and Console Database comes up high on the list. They've got more information about this nonexistent code:

Ah so this menu that doesn't exist lets me enable free play on a game that doesn't use a credits system. "Oh-Maw" indeed.

Also spoilers: there is no Japanese version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Basically, Console Database didn't check.

Nor did IGN. Or most of the top results - the only sites not buying into this 23-year-old misconception are the fan wikis.

So is this code made up? No - it's from the Nintendo 64 version. And it's an honest mistake to make - the Saturn doesn't have red or blue ? boxes, but it does have a green one:
    [​IMG]

What gets me though, is that literally dozens of huge sites, whose whole raison d'etre is to host cheat codes, did not check this. Or the others I mentioned above. Or hundreds of other claims that I've come across in the last week. At any point in the last 20 years.

Also the alternative versions of characters found by pressing Start is mentioned in the game's manual. And random select is technically hidden in Trilogy but is mentioned in UMK3's manual.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the Fantasy Zone, get ready, etc.

This "Space Harrier mode" cheat for Panzer Dragoon isn't predicated no the system's time... but on the language. It only works if you're set to German (see: "Panzer").

It's probably one of the only codes of its kind. I don't even know if there were consoles released before the Saturn that had a German language option at BIOS level.

In fact it's probably one of the few Saturn games that even acknowledge the setting exists. Not enough to actually translate the game mind you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I THINK the Nintendo Switch Online Sega controllers went on sale yesterday.

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    They did, I've seen some people successfully grab orders. The novelty of it makes me want it, but couldn't quite justify it at the moment.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    It's on the console's manual, iirc. I always exited games this way and then took out the game disk before shutting down the system.

15. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

These can be traced back to before the web, where lists were maintained on ftp servers and cheats/codes/corrections submitted by email. For example;

Which eventually moved onto the web;

After several domain moves arrived at segasages.com and despite the name expanded to include other formats. Then finally gets incorporated into IGN as Game Sages. I would guess it was a similar situation with GameFAQs, although I haven't researched that. So yeah, a lot of these were done by one guy relying on others to correct any mistakes for games which they didn't own, which presumably not many people did.

• List
  16. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

• List
  17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Oh no wonder - a website maintained by Rassilon. Must have been using Time Lord mind tricks or something.

18. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Ah ... Doctor Who was the one Sci-Fi show I didn't get in to, so that one missed me. This seems to be the first iteration of the cheat list which led to IGN's cheat section. As suspected GameFAQs also started as an FTP site, the link says 1994, but there are references to it from 1993 on Usenet.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Well, you're not wrong, although we only have two Saturn console manuals so I can't confirm it was a thing in all regions.

The software reset has been implemented in all the games I've tested recently though. Some don't necessarily go back to the title screen like they're meant to, but it's definitely a thing.

That is, except for Die Hard Trilogy. This does have a software reset, but only if you press start before A+B+C. In fact the way it handles keypresses and menus in general is a little on the glitchy side - we knew back in the day it was a wonky PlayStation port, but it struggles more than I remember.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • List