don't click here

Weird Italian Sonic1 Master system release? Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ashthedragon, Oct 7, 2021.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Calling all Italian Sonic fans!
    Lately I've found a weird Sonic 1 for Mster System redition around several retro stores ( ebay and local). They are distributed by italian distributor Halifax, and they come in a Sega Megadrive blue style case, with a weirdly hand cut cover at one side ( and weird print... seems like it include a hair like if the original scan of it was dirty??) and no booklet.

Seller says it is original, distributed by halifax in 1995. There are several other games distributed by them around ebay, but they dont seem to have the wrong box, and include manual.

Might this be some sort of scam, or did really Halifax distribute sonic 1 for master system in this weird way at Italy? Maybe any Italian Retro-goer knows more about this? Resident Retro Italian @nineko maybe?

It would be very helpful for the wiki and for myself! Thanks

Here is a photo of it, taken from a store
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    To be honest, I have no idea.

Halifax does seem to have a contact form on their website and I can try to ask them, but I doubt that any of their current employees had been around 30 years ago.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Doesn't hurt to try, I say go for it.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That photo isn't good enough to make judements on.

https://picclick.it/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-1-Sega-Master-System-Nuovo-254991235554.html

but those ones are!

Can't say I'm much of an expert on Italian distribution but it's very possible a later, home grown print run occurred. Possibly notable is the sticker on the back that says "Digital Bros." - this is currently Halifax's parent company, but... wasn't(?) back in the day?

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    It doesn't hurt to try, I would greatly thank it.

I bought one, since it has piqued my curiosity quite a bit. Mine is "new", but does not have that plastic bag around the cart.
    It sees like it is a local print, since it has no import sticker. It would be helpful to contact Halifax, yes.