don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Bit concerning that the technically worst version is the one that seen the sales success. Sega thinking "well if they bought that, how bad could we make Rangers and get away with it?" is not the nostalgic throwback to the 2000s I was hoping for.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Most expected though. It sucks that that's the version most will end up playing but that is a lot of Sonic fans' primary console

3. MH MD

MH MD

patches takes time you know, 3 weeks is nothing

4. ArmonteSalvato

ArmonteSalvato

This seems like nice combination of mods, especially how the Sonic True Colors was adapted to work here:

I'm starting to think the problems with this remaster could be a blessing in disguise. There's more of an incentive to fix its problems, and this could start an interesting snowball effect with mods.
    Unfortunately I cannot play these enhancements myself at the moment because my laptop is a potato... I DID play the Sonic True Colors mod for the original on console, and the game flows way better with less BS padding.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Sonic games always sell best on Nintendo platforms. It doesn't matter how technically inferior they might be to versions on more powerful platforms, Nintendo players are more likely to be interested in checking out Sonic games. Didn't Generations on 3DS sell roughly the same as the PS3 and 360 versions combined? I want to say that Forces saw most of its sales on Switch too, but I don't specifically recall reading that and could just be assuming.

6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yes, Sonic Adventure sold 440k copies and also got re-released in Japan too with the Sonic Adventure International version, which is not something you do if a game is a flop.

Similarly, when SegaSammy reported Sonic's extremely good sales numbers earlier this year, Generations and Mania were listed as contributing factors...and not Forces, a game that flopped in Japan. This implies that some Sonic games sell way better than others, as opposed to just selling regardless here. That just makes it different, but I wouldn't say that it means that Japan doesn't like Sonic. They seem to like certain Sonic titles.

This brings to mind the other series I adore to pieces, Metroid, one that has never been overly popular in Japan according to common wisdom. But, it was the prime games that didn't do well in Japan, and meanwhile Dread is insanely high on the JP eshop preorder charts. So do they hate metroid, or is it that they hate first person metroid and like the 2D games?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Kinda crazy that Sonic Generations was listed as a high seller in 2021 since it came out ten years ago.

8. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    I really hope that if they decide to remaster Generations that they give us some level packs. That game is way too short. It's a shame that we didn't get to see any Sonic CD stage, except during the Metal Sonic boss fight. That game's stage design and aesthetics are so stunning and I would love to see some of them redesigned for this era.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ If they made a 30th anniversary Generations they could add a whole new era containing levels based off Lost World, Mania, and Forces. I wouldn't mind seeing Frozen Factory, Mirage Saloon, and maybe Forces Metropolis (another city I know but it's a high tech future city so it's different anyway, if not that idk, Death Egg? That ways its half homage to Sonic 3). As long as they don't go with like Windy Hill, Studiopolis and Forces City I'd likely be happy (Studiopolis was/is great, but Generations has enough city levels as is, plus Speed Highway kinda fits this bill already)
    I wonder what Generations' total sales must be. Gotta be pretty high at this point

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  10. Kinda wish we could get also the 3DS stages, but obviously in high quality now.

11. corneliab

corneliab

This sounds like it would be totally outside the scope of most remasters. Just one full zone would be a huge deal and I can't imagine it would be worth the effort.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

They should instead just make a Generations 2. Kind of funny that literally right after Generations became such a hit, Iizuka explicitly said that they weren't going to make another one. Like at least leave it open ended, But you know Sega gonna Sega.

13. MH MD

MH MD

Generations was one-of-a-kind game, and it should remain that tbh, it's a celebration of the series legacy,in a way that make it really special, and only really works once, they shouldn't try to replicate it so often, otherwise it would lose it's significance.

or do it in the 50th anniversary or something.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    They did, it's called Forces :V

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    I mean I guess but I just feel like the game not originally receiving any sort of extended DLC was kind of a missed opportunity.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    My guess is that it has to come largely from Steam sales; considering that the PS3/360 versions and 3DS versions have all been grandfathered since then. And considering how none of the other contemporary 3D Sonic games released on Steam afterwards can compare in quality or popularity (especially in regards to the modding community), it's not hard to see why Generations on PC has endured for so long. It's still by and large the last good 3D/ST Sonic game for many people.

Though Colors Ultimate could finally be the new 3D Sonic release on Steam thats give Gens a run for its money. Just depends on how fans/audiences feel about the core game itself (in 2021), and the changes/glitches brought in with the remaster.

17. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

I agree, I'm just saying it's dumb that they were so quick to say that they weren't going to build off of Sonic Generation's hype. Like why not just leave the question of sequels open ended?

Fans: "This is the most popular Sonic game in years, are you going to do this again?"
    Sega: "Nope, we're going throw away what people liked and try something different."

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Steam exists.

19. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Steam exists and they sold it for $1 multiple times.

Something to remember is that Generations was essentially a filler title built off what they had for Unleashed, so them choosing to make Lost World something new was probably something they were thinking as soon as Colors was finished... otherwise, Lost World would've been built off Generations instead.

I think there was a comment about forces' development saying they basically uprooted everything they already had done to make what they did, so I image a Lost World "Taking feedback" from Gens would end up like forces, which probably would've made Lost World be received even worse by fans than it already was. I'm saying this without a bias cause I think both are fine, I'm just saying where we would potentially be in the framchise's life.

20. I thought Colors spawned from a canceled Wii port of Gens though?