don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think it's the former personally. I feel like Ian's always been very frank on what he's allowed to talk about and at least some of the factors as to why. The way this is worded to me implies this information relevant to the future, potentially a plot point in the upcoming movie or Sonic 2022, which leads me to believe it's none of the of the posited answers if we're going to learn these things in a game.

2. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Just to add, Ian's even mentioned in a recent Bumblecast that no new sonic lore is going to be revealed in the Encyclospeedia. It's mostly a book chronicling what's already been seen in the franchise.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yeah, pretty much what I expected with it. It'll be interesting to see the different perspective, though.

4. _Sidle

_Sidle

A nice concise video came out today that goes over the Sonic '06 timeline in chronological(?) order...
    starting from the Solaris Project (10 yrs in the past) and ending after Blaze is sealed (200 yrs in the future) before getting timeline merged in End of the World.

Emerald Tracker included~

5. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    He ends up saying that Mephiles has the purple emerald the entire time, but I'd assume that happens last for Mephiles... for some reason, even though he ends up already getting it with every other emerald in End of the World anyways. It's more meant for a cinematic beat than a story one. Its whereabouts matter as much as the Red emerald.

My personal timeline for Mephiles sees him getting sealed by Shadow, awakened by Rouge and Eggman's stupidity, jumping to the future so he can start continuously tempting Silver while he's frustrated with his existence in a shitty future until Shadow shows him the truth, coming back to the future off-screen in an attempt to tempt Shadow but getting his ass kicked, turning into the Crystal form and going back to the past to attempt to obtain more Chaos emeralds, and getting his ass kicked by Shadow again until he grabs the Purple emerald somewhere decides he should have been the villain of Sonic's story instead and goes to kill him and cause none of the emerald shenanigans to matter anyways and time itself to be broken into one moment.

6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I love how convoluted this story is.

7. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

One thing I regularly see stated is that the act of blowing out the flame was an act of time travel. However, by all accounts of the game this seems to very much be not the case. To me at least, the whole act of blowing out the flame seemed more like some weird cosmological reflection and metaphor ala Final Fantasy 8. When Sonic, Silver and Shadow beat Solaris, Everything flashes and Elise and Sonic are just floating through what appears to be the void of space time, Elise asks if it is truly defeated, and Sonic says no, as Solaris returns to his original form as a Flame. Then the sequence of the Duke explaining to young Elise what Solaris is plays out.

The characters never jump through any portals, they don't even actively go back in time to prevent anything. It seems more likely to me that the event of blowing out the flame was not an action that took place within the time timeline at all, and was more just a weird jumbled amalgamation of the wish and will that originally caused the events of the game via the Solaris project to begin with manifesting itself at the origin of Solaris as it reformed to its original state.
    This is compounded by the fact the game seems to treat the entire timeline as having been reset as opposed to just the actions that took place 10 years before the events of the game, since Elise says Solaris will have never existed outright, not that the events of the game alone will have not happened.

Solaris will never exist 2.png

Pretty great video overall though Was quite enjoyable.

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    - Do you have any knowledge on the multiverse of Sonic games? More specifically, is the human world in another dimension like Blaze's world, or is it another planet? Did the white space in Generations take place in a sort of pocket dimension?

- I do know, and last time I got into this topic I was asked to not do that anymore, so I'm gonna just kind of shy away from it. Suffice to say that Sonic Generations affected, I'm presuming, all of that universe. Because I can't imagine time affecting just one planet, that's silly.

58:11

9. Forte

Forte

Poland
    I hope this means Sonic Rangers touch on the topic. If new rumours are true, we even get a glimpse o Chaos Emeralds history.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Are there rumors about the Chaos Emeralds? I'm not aware of that.

11. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    To be honest, the rumors are likely based on the fact that Ian has stated that he knows definitively what the origin of the Chaos Emeralds is in a prior bumblecast. It wouldn't be surprising to assume Rangers may cover it, but him saying he can't talk about that origin or the nature of dimensions in the franchise doesn't really mean anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Oh I remember that, I just didn't assume it was because of Rangers.

What I do think is about Rangers is the human world conundrum, because of that phantom girl who (I think) is a human.

13. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Supposedly, there was another leak on 4chan (I haven't seen it myself, only mentioned by some Sonic Tuber). So yeah, it can be a total BS - but if true, I would like Chaos Emeralds being explained a little bit more. I mean, what do we know about it right now?

- The Chaos and Knuckles Tribe connection
    - The Gaia temples connection

We don't really know how the gems were created, we only know they were used for Gaia's temples and some time later, found their way onto Angel Island.

But why?

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Naka stated that Hidden Palace is supposed to be where the Chaos Emeralds come from. Whether that's still canon or not I can't say.

Also, wasn't it stated in Sonic Channel that the Master Emerald was created by the gods?

15. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Hidden Palace from Sonic 2 or Sonic 3?

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Canon-wise, the latter. They were already going for that concept with the original Hidden Palace from S2, but since it got scrapped, they ended up implementing it in S3K instead.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I thought every gem was created by the gods and we don't know which gods.

18. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Well, the Sonic 2 Hidden Palace is now kinda canon because of mobile port, right?

What if there are different Hidden Palaces throughout Sonic's World? :D

It could be a fun retcon added to the lore.

19. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    So
    there's multiple master emerald shrines on angel island so I don't think it's that far fetched to assume the echidnas built some on west side back when it was all on continent.

20. Forte

Forte

Poland
    If Sega weren't so stubborn, we could have a really nice story about Emeralds, more Echidna lore and everything. Oh why Sega, why. I just hope that the Meta era is over, and we get a decent story in the next installment.