don't click here

Questions about Sega Genesis

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by DesertWarrior, Sep 27, 2021.

1. DesertWarrior

DesertWarrior

Hey,

So, I have a few questions about the Genesis.

First of all, my family first bought a (Model 2) Sega Genesis for my 4th birthday, which occurred in November 1994. My first Sega game that I played (on the actual day I got the Genesis) was Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. By the end of 1994, I had at least that game and Crystal's Pony Tale, as both show up in pictures from Christmas 1994.

It was likely bought from Toys 'R Us

By 1996, I had amassed a decent sized collection of Sega games. The games I know for certain I had before the end of 1996 were:

Sonic 1,
    Sonic 2,
    Sonic 3,
    Sonic Spinball,
    Sonic and Knuckles
    Crystal's Pony Tale
    Haunting Starring Polterguy
    World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
    Paperboy
    Super Monaco GP
    The Lion King
    Dragon's Fury
    Joe and Mac Caveman Ninja

Those are the games I know I had for certain by the end of 1996. I also know that by April 1996, I had two sets of Sega / Sonic sneakers as well as a Sonic T-Shirt and the blue Sonic handheld pinball machine. I would get Sonic 3D Blast around probably Christmas 1996. I may have had other titles that I remember playing, or they could've been rentals.

My questions are as follows:

1) Would Sonic 2 have come packed in with the system in November 1994?

2) Was a Sega Genesis still a hot product for a young kid to have in 1994-1996? Considering I was between 4 and 6? Or was it already the end of the line for the Genesis in November '94?

3) I had a Sega console case that looked as follows

[​IMG]

Would this have come with the system, or have been bought separately later on?

2. DesertWarrior

DesertWarrior

This is my living room in October 1996. It's one of the only views of my collection, at least partially. I know the game i'm playing is The Lion King.

Could anyone ID any of the other games?

[​IMG]

Also, is there any way to tell what game my sister and I were playing here on Christmas 1995?

[​IMG]

3. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    For question #1 the answer is yes and this is a long story: I bought a model 2 Genesis that came packed with Sonic 2 off eBay in a box around 2007 or 2008. The Genesis itself was manufactured in 1994. The motherboard version is a VA1.8. After a garage sale Genesis yielded me with a model 2 VA1 that sounded terrible and was manufactured in 1993, I decide to look on eBay. At the time I didn't know why the PSG on model 2 VA2.3 was missing that I had since 1995 (and also manufactured in 1995) and decided to buy different model 2s. After ending up having 3 different model 2s in my possession and having no such luck in improvements, I started looking at model 1s instead. I wouldn't bother with the model 2s that come with Sonic 2.

For question #2 I can't answer this specifically because both the Saturn and PlayStation would actually launch in 1995 and I simply don't remember much of anything here, concerning this period of 1994-1996. I was way too young to remember what was actually going on with game consoles in general. There was still a market (a shrinking one) for 16-bit systems for quite a while from what I remember going into the late 1990's.

For question #3 the answer is that this was an accessory that was sold separately. I've never seen it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    This reminds me, I used to own a cassette storage drawer for my loose mega drive games, because they were roughly the same size as an old fashioned cassette

[​IMG]

6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    I used one of those too, for my loose games :) ... mine was a cheap plastic case like this one :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Yes, but there was also the Power Rangers pack. I got a Sonic 2 pack and a then friend of mine got the Power Rangers one in a short time gap (I can't remember which one got his first).

The old consoles remained there for a while while the newer ones established their market and also because they were cheaper, just like 8-bit ones lasted for a while when the 16-bit ones come out. I wouldn't say "hot", but it still got a few new games and stayed a bit more on shelves at shops.

Separate, but you could have gotten a bundle with both products. My Mega Drive came with a 3rd party controller bundled with it (one that had a tactile D-pad and "360º" as part of its name).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Turbo Touch 360 ... ;)

edit: fixed the link... sorry...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Yes, the yellow and black one. I didn't like it so I gave it to my aunt and she gave me a standard model 1 gamepad (grey start button) in exchange.

10. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yep... one of my friends had one... it sucked :) ...

11. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    There was a Power Rangers pack? I had no idea! I knew there were two games (when my local Blockbuster was bought out by a different chain, they sold off their games for cheap, and my dad bought me both), but didn't know they were ever console pack-ins.

12. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
  13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    No point in restating most of what others have said, except I'd like to break down #2 some more:

1994 - Absolutely! You got yours when it was still in heavy demand.
    1995 - Yes, though less so that the previous year. A lot more attention was being paid to the next generation consoles by that point. Kids saw the 32-bit consoles as being a huge leapfrog, and so they wanted those more than something of the past. Also, I think this was the year the S3+S&K pack-in became available (though I still remember seeing S2 pack-ins, perhaps from overstock).
    1996 - By this point, it had lost a lot of steam. The 16-bit consoles were seen as heavily dated, and so only people who were on a budget were really itching to buy them. Many people were selling the ones they had to invest in the new consoles.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

When the movie came out, its official game got this treatment. If it was only here, I don't know, though Power Rangers were big enough to expect this in other countries too, especially in the US where Kalinske liked to collect licenses.