don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

The fact this is even possible blows my fuckin' mind. You can now use the spindash and bounce from Sonic '06 (and even the physics from that game if you're a psychotic madman) in Generations thanks to code injection.

I've tried it out in a few levels and it's really, really cool being able to use abilities from the Adventure games - I'm surprised by how well they work in the game. Using the spindash, kick, and bounce instead of the boost, slide, and stomp makes for a really neat new way to replay Generations.

2. I'm trying to use HedgeModManager to download some stuff to play with, and it keeps failing to download the files from GameBanana. I'm having to manually download them and add them myself.

If I add a mod this way, does it copy the files to the game's mod folder or anything, so I can delete the files I'm downloading? Just would like to keep things a bit tidier, if possible.

EDIT: Also, any particular "better physics" mod you guys would recommend to go with the 3D Spindash? There's something like 8 or 9 different physics mods, and I'd really rather not have to go through all of them one at a time.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  3. Melpontro

Melpontro

Working
    If you are running a modern Nvidia GPU, it is probably the Nvidia driver bug that effects all the post-Turing GPUs. Levels converted using the old GLVL crash the game on these newer cards.

Skyth made a tool to fix this for various mods, but I'm not sure if Unleashed Project has a build with it applied yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Do we count a GTX 1080 as a modern GPU? I guess it does, but since it's a little older, I'm just not sure. It worked fine on my 1080 before I started using HedgeModManager.

5. Melpontro

Melpontro

Working
    The 1080 should work without issue, unless newer drivers have brought the issue to the older cards too. The Turing issues began with the 2000 series of GPUs.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-melponterations/downloads/sonic-melponterations-beta-02
    Does this crash? It was made with the same build as the custom HUD in Unleashed Project, so it should have the same issue if this is caused by the Nvidia Driver bug.

6. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Ok, so that mod works fine. I loaded in no problem. But Unleashed Project still crashed when I hit continue.

7. Melpontro

Melpontro

Working
    I would try deleting the Unleashed Project folder you have, and then redownloading it from their ModDB page. https://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-ge...nic-generations-unleashed-project-10-released

I can’t think of any reason where Melponterations would run but Unleashed Project would crash. Let me know once you’ve tested with a fresh install of the mod and I’ll follow up with Dario if anything.

8. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Ok, a fresh install got it to work. I have to re-do my save, but it worked. Thanks for the help! Sorry for the trouble.

9. Joseph A. Rose

Joseph A. Rose

I wanted to play the 20-day demo of Sonic Generations (NPUB90567) on the PS3, but it got expired. I need to bypass the expiration error problem.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  10. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So, using HedgeModManager, I tried setting the game at 144FPS for fun and got two separate problems. One was the game was running SUPER fast. Like double speed. But my controls were fine. The second was that it ran fine, but some controls were unresponsive. My analog inputs works just fine but if I tried to jump, boost, or slide, it came out way later. What did I do wrong? I know it's experimental, but I feel like those two were a problem on my end.

11. BlueSpeedsterYT

BlueSpeedsterYT

Now rendered in full 3D Member
    You would need to literally change the system date back to the original 20-day period if you wanna bypass it in a more vanilla way.
    But if you were expecting to do it the hacked way… I’d say to wait until someone comes to your post and reply to you with something that can bypass it… maybe.

12. Joseph A. Rose

Joseph A. Rose

Okay, I'll wait. Thanks.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Some absolute fucking madman recreated the OG Heroes Seaside Hill using Generations assets and I am all for it. I've been longing for mods like this for a while and it makes me giddy to see one become a reality.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya this one is really well done. It makes the level looks like it actually belongs in this game rather than it clearly being slapped in there.

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I'm hoping this opens the door to more remastered level ports using Generations assets. Playing levels like Green Hill and Speed Highway with the OG level design but Generations graphics has long been a dream of mine, and seeing that it's possible is wonderful. It's also just awesome to see that people are still extremely committed to modding Generations after all these years.

Also, this is not footage of Sonic '06.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd love to see the original Speed Highway with Generations assets. Generations Speed Highway was stunning.

And wow that 06 mod has come a long way. There's barely anything left there that makes me think "oh ya this was Generations"

17. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    Getting a issue with trying to load levels in SonGLVL 0.57 I load it up and asks if I want to unpack and update the terrain geometry and clicking yes causes a the command prompt to totally flip out and glitch out while it does add a few items to the cache folder but that's it, just keeps showing random scamble of characters in the command prompt see here.
    [​IMG]

Some details is that I did unpack all the bb archives into seperate folders and i'm loading the #ghz100.ar.00 file

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  18. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So, I experienced a weird effect when playing this game. I was running the game at 1440p at the locked 144FPS mode with Hedge Mod Manager. I was playing Speed Highway since I wanted to see the full resolution planer reflections, but when I started running down the building, Sonic's animation started being slow and it felt like all the things around Sonic were slow such as when he crashes through debris and the enemies too.

My specs are in the description but just to cover them here I'm using a GTX 1080 with a Ryzen 7 3700X processor and 16 GB of RAM at DDR4 at 3200mhz.

19. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Going to double post, sorry. Just an issue I'm having and then something I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

So, getting a glitch where in the hub world only, the left and right direction inputs don't work. Sonic just won't move in that direction. In levels? It's totally fine! Is it the 144FPS mod?

Secondly, when I enabled the 1920x1080 Media Player code in the HMM, it didn't work with the cutscenes I know are pre-rendered, the Time Eater cutscene near the end and then ending cutscene. It still kept them at their 480p resolution however the video was at the corner of the screen and the rest of black. The start button to skip still appeared in the right position on the far right of the screen, but the actual video played solely in the corner of the screen. When I did the 1280x720 one, that one did work for the cutscene to be higher resolution, however, it was the same problem as before, just the video was a bit bigger now. How do I fix this?

20. Skyth

Skyth

Sounds like you're dipping frames to me. You could try using the "Fix Input Delay at Arbitrary Frames" code along with the "Disable FPS Limit" code instead, that should allow for variable delta time and fix the slowdown. As for getting stuck in 2D, that just can happen at high refresh rates.

I got no idea for the movie player problem.