don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Or they could have just wanted to make their own game instead of Sonic games

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It would’ve been cool if they were working on Mania 2. But it’s also cool they’re doing their own stuff. I am very excited for what they’ve got in store. We all should be!

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Welp… should I get ready for disappointment in regards to who is developing Sonic Origins?

Don’t get me wrong I’m more than happy for the team and I am eager to see what kind of game they will cook up.. but at the present moment, my concern has now increased.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Writing was on the wall for months, foregone conclusion.

Sucks, but ah well. Wishing the ES team the best. (And Stealth/HC too, would be kinda cool if he's helping out with ES' new IP.)

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

Again, companies can work for more than one game at a time. There's no reason to conclude Taxman and co have no involvement with Origins.

Regardless, this was the best move for the team. Excited and hopeful for what they are able to make.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Evening Star is a small studio, developing their first 3D platformer and first original project. I can't see them trying or even wanting to juggle their new game along with yet more Sonic ports.

It's a shame that ES likely aren't working with SEGA anytime in the foreseeable future, because I'd love to see more Sonic games from them. But frankly I've been keen for them to have the opportunity to prove themselves as more than "those fans that made a Classic Sonic game" for a long time, because that dismissive mindset totally undermines the bales of talent that they have. This game, whatever it is, will hopefully do just that.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This isn't their first original project is it? They did that Captain Magnet or something or other mobile game didn't they?

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Major Magnet was by PadogaWest Games. That’s still an active separate studio from Evening Star, although I think one of the members from that studio left to join ES after Mania’s production.

9. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    The news is bittersweet. On one hand, Sonic Mania was the best Sonic game Sega's produced in about 20 years so having the creatives not working on another Sonic game is disappointing. On the other hand, Evening Star working on something original sounds really cool and I hope whatever they're making is fantastic.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Not to sound like a dumbass, but can you give an example of when that’s happened? Like a programmer/developer of one studio working independently for another developer/publisher? Unless there was a previous working relationship, wouldn’t that be considered conflict of interest?

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    A lone programmer of one studio working independently for another developer/publisher was never mentioned, so don't know why that was brought up.

As for companies working on multiple projects, it happens in our studio all the time. We usually have a main project, but if a client needs work that only requires a single programmer and the main project doesn't need urgent attention we often pull one programmer off the main project and put them on that task instead. Frequently a good allocation of resources, beats having someone sitting their twiddling their thumbs waiting for other things to get done (since you still have to pay them).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    So apparently one of Zippo's "leaks" made at least one headline. He's claiming that there was a disagreement between Sega & Evening Star which means that Mania 2 is scrapped internally. I figured it's totally fake, but I thought people should know about it.

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    That was Sega of America, specifically. You should obviously take all this stuff with boatloads of salt, but that IS a wrinkle I hadn't heard about.

Either way, it sure seems likely that against all logic, a Mania sequel isn't happening, at least not anytime soon. This isn't the first "industry insider" who's said something to that effect. Best case scenario, maybe public awareness of this will cause people to be more vocal, and put pressure on Sega to make better decisions.

15. MH MD

MH MD

No, people shouldn't know about this totally fake rumor, this type of news brings more harm than good, i give a pass for new games "leaks", but claiming there were some drama and cancellation of a supposed sequel...seems more malicious and just asking for attention/clicks, something they shouldn't have.

The way SEGA treats Mania , that even it's influence reached to Super Monkey Ball for example with it's launch trailer that had the same animation/music team as Mania trailers , just make me think that if they could make Mania 2 ASAP, they would, they clearly see the value of that game, but also Evening Stars should have their freedom and seek to do what they want, instead of stuck doing Sonic games and risking burnout, for all we know they had it already and we shouldn't ask for another Sonic game so soon

It's funny really, for how the fandom sometimes complain that Sonic Team had burnout and should seek a break or doing something else -if they don't outright ask for different team altogether-, they also want Mania 2 ASAP anyway, the dilemma is real

16. Turbohog

Turbohog

Zippo is probably full of shit, but Sega is insane for not cashing in on a Mania sequel. /thread

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think the fact this rumor/article went viral and was given attention at all is a sure sign that the fandom is really, really fucking bored.

18. Wraith

Wraith

This is one of Zippo's trademarks where he tells you something that feels like it matters until you think about it. Like, Sonic Mania 2 didn't happen. It's easy to assume there was a disagreement of some kind, and it's not like this piece gets into what the disagreement was.

This didn't even surface until AFTER Evening Star's new project was confirmed, so it doesn't even have the credibility of the original Rangers leak from 4chan.

19. YuTwo

YuTwo

100% agree with this. The original Sonic Team may have faced burnout as well since they decided to make NiGHTS instead of a new Sonic game for the Saturn immediately. They did make five mainline games (I'm counting Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately) in less than four years from '91 to '94 after all.

I also didn't understand seeing those comments and posts of people wanting a Sonic Mania sequel just a year after Mania released. It was just way too soon for one again. I guess they forgot to account for said burnout.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    oh my god why are we still fucking giving zippo attention