don't click here

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania (10/5/2021)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    As a relative newcomer, the game has been a lot of fun. It's pretty much cemented me as a fan.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    As the 1st 2 games did for all of us... then it was 18 years of gimmicks and mediocrity until this circled all the way back to 1 and 2 lol.

Please SEGA, use this chance to turn the series around once and for all

EDIT: I just noticed, the pause menu Sonic art seems to imply his arms are blue (the shading on the arms uses the same values as the blue rather than the skin color values)... :colbert:

0/10 unplayable. Lol no it's not it's great but ugh what a stupid mistake.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  3. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Been playing around with this. The physics are definitely a little off and the way the camera swerves does mess with my muscle memory a tad. The physics engine gets me the most at low speeds (accelerating too quickly and overcorrecting) and on slopes (struggling to get up certain inclines, like on Swing Bar Long). The lack of guiding notches on joycons makes going in a straight line harder than it should be, which is a bummer. It otherwise plays surprisingly well and after my adjustment period I was plowing through SMB1's Expert as I usually would.
    Would be nice if Ultimate mode showed up, just to make this more feature-complete. Playing the original difficulty courses as intended was a really good call as in DX they were seriously bloated and overly long, but having the option to play that way is always nice. Replaying the DX levels reminded me that they were actually pretty well-designed and I honestly prefer them to most of what 2 has to offer.
    I've been noticing the occasional hiccup where the game stops drawing for a frame or two. Multiplayer is disappointingly not at 60 FPS. Sometimes the saturation is a bit too much and it can be easy to lose track of things (the green player ball in certain modes, the walls in the icy Monkey Fight stage). Some color palettes are really intense (the underwater ones) and the SMB1 Master theme has both too-intense colors and a too-intense floor effect.

EDIT: Been playing some more and yeah, the flaws of the physics are really starting to show more than ever. Slopes are considerably tougher to go against, making once-easy levels like Swing Bar Long, Zigzag Slope, Floor Bent, and Cross Floors way harder than they used to be (read: actually hard)—I can't even imagine levels like Long Torus and Soft Cream. It's pretty frustrating and makes me feel way more at the level's whims than I used to be. I'm also reminded in this playthrough just how stupid SMB2's level design could be.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021

4. This animation is so good.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    @kyasarintsu Yeah, the combination of the physics changes and camera changes made me just give up entirely on Warp. I spent 50 minutes at the start of my stream yesterday just trying to clear that one level before just using the "Mark as cleared" option in the pause menu. I posted some thoughts on my Twitter:

6. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

The audio mixing's really weird. The lack of a consistent rolling sound effect, combined with the weak shadow, makes the ball feel weirdly separated from the environment. Some sound effects do feel missing and unimpactful, like the smacks when hitting objects and surfaces.
    It does indeed feel harder to slow down. Warp was a struggle for me but not nearly as bad as Swing Bar Long was, which I'd call the worst example of the new physics' difficulty at play so far.

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It is true that the fish is gone. I do miss him.

[​IMG]

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    SWING BAR AHHHH

The only level so far I've encountered I had to skip. I just couldn't for the life of me figure it out.

9. MH MD

MH MD

Great launch trailer, it brought back Mania trailers vibe, until i notice the music was indeed from hyper potions, and noticed a Sonic cameo in the style of Mania animations, either if it was from Tyson animation team or not, this is till really cool and happy to see mania influence even here, which was totally unexpected but a welcome surprise nonetheless .