don't click here

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Xilla

Xilla

Two people "on the inside" (one of the fan consultants and one of the beta testers) have confirmed to me that the Legacy Mode pickup thing isn't a glitch.

Basically, when you're holding a weapon, the game will only let you pick up items if you're standing perfectly still with no d-pad input, apparently it's so you can keep attacking when standing over items.

It doesn't make much sense to me why this behaviour only occurs when you're holding a weapon though, unless they programmed it to prevent that "weapon swap" loop you'd sometimes get in the first 2 games.

2. FINALLY got around to playing this. (Good ol' world right now, amirite?)

Freaking love it. Played with Blaze, beat it. Few enemies were annoying, but doable (Blaze can't run, so if a boss is fast, it's difficult to land a punch)

3. ArmonteSalvato

ArmonteSalvato

For anyone who's played this game - is it worth getting it right now or waiting for sale season/price drop?

I don't like the art style in this game for some reason. Not that it looks bad, but it seems like it would be more fitting for a Comix Zone sequel than SoR. On the other hand, I am curious about what happened in this lore after SOR3, since that one has a few cliffhanger alternate endings, and even the "main" good ending is really bizarre.

I also wonder what the gameplay and level design are like, since I'm used to SoR3 and SoR Remake. If you've played any of those and then SoR4 (and compared the games) let me know. Due to spoilers I avoid watching videos for this game.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I've only played SoR 1, 2 & 3 (and not SOR Remake). SOR4 is probably more inline with SOR2. It does take some ideas from SoR3, but it feels more like SOR2.5.

At first, I was a bit disappointed by SOR4. SOR3 is my favourite, so the fact they went back to approach of SOR2 was a bummer. And I didn’t like the art style for the reasons you said. But after my initial disappointment, I really loved it. The level design is excellent with a rich variety of stages. The combat is plenty of fun (especially in 2player). Even the art style grew on me with time.

It doesn't really continue any plot points from the previous game, although it does make good use of the lore (except for + - Skate   who is wholly omitted :/)

I think if you paid full price for it, you wouldn't be disappointed overall. Like I said, it's a shame it takes more after SoR2, but SoR2 is excellent game, so that's no bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Overall, it's a very solid game and the devs put tons of efforts in the patch to balance the game, which makes it better.
    You'll find that it goes back to a simpler direction storywise than SOR3/BK3.
    It also does try new ideas that were nor in the original trilogy nor in SORR designwise.

Like big smile said, you might be disappointed if you prefer the gameplay from SOR3/SORR as SOR4 does take its inspiration from SOR2 indeed. But not a bad thing in itself still.

6. Yeah, there's even nods as well as ideas from the original 1st and 2nd games that were originally scrapped. Some new things, character changes, etc.

I just wish they made a run/dodge mechanic for all characters.

7. Prototype

Prototype

I loved this game when I first bought it, but the DLC definitely brought me back. I can confirm that playing Survival Mode online is quite fun. There are interesting unspoken gestures regarding powerup/point distribution. Someone might take the end-of-level bonus, but gesture to the other via air punching that the other can take all the health/points/weapons etc. There's the little start-of-level "turn and jump" to say hello. It's always nice when you end up playing with a stranger and there's a sequence of mutual revival.

It's just really, really fun to play co-op with strangers and experience other people's play styles, and there's a sense of comradeship.

I would love this team to tackle a potential Golden Axe sequel. Keep the base engine, but differentiate it by specifically focusing on weapon combat and upgrading your weapon and magic. Otherwise, the general engine could stay the same.

8. Xilla

Xilla

I tried online a few times, got kicked out each time for trying to play the game like Streets of Rage...

9. Prototype

Prototype

Friendly hits on? Heh

You haven't experienced Streets of Rage until your playthrough devolves into you and your brother hitting each other.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Just a heads-up - anyone thinking of selling their old physical copy to get the new "Anniversary Edition" with the DLC included, just be aware that it's apparently not compatible with existing save data from the previous physical copy (on Switch at least - that's the only platform I have it on, so unable to check the PS4 version). I've just received my copy having sold my old one back in July to part-fund it, and having checked directly with the publishers I've definitely received the correct version. Thought I'd better flag it up here in case anyone else had been considering doing the same - if I'd known, I'd have been more tempted to buy the DLC for my existing copy instead so I could continue from where I left off originally.

Sucks, as I have limited time for gaming and now have to find time to recomplete the Story Mode and unlock the retro characters all over again, in addition to the new content... On the other hand, it gives me an excuse to go through a great game again, haha. Unsure whether to try with the new characters first (assuming they're unlocked from the start), or to pretend I'm unlocking them through the Story Mode (i.e. only letting myself play as Max/Shiva/Estel after beating them).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm hearing that an update came out today that added content to the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    You are correct.

13. Xilla

Xilla

Some nice improvements in there I guess. Tried a few characters out and they do feel a bit "tighter".

Shame it doesn't patch the issue of me still losing all interest in Arcade Mode halfway through Stage 2.