don't click here

Sonic P-06 general

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Guess I misheard. I remember someone talking about the remake making it easier to mod the game, but that was a while ago now that I think about it.

2. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    I genuinely think this is one of the best things to happen for Sonic when it comes to fangames in a while, and that's saying much because Sonic fangames are fantastic. There's so much added detail and little fixes here and there that really make me smile. And one thing you can't take away from this game is that the level design is engaging that it actually looks fun to play, unlike recent titles; the scattered terrains of White Acropolis, Tropical Jungle, Wave Ocean (for Shadow) and Dusty Desert (for Sonic), the multiple pathways of Kingdom Valley, and the fast-paced race against time in Radical Train that really give you (well, me at least) a sense of speed and urgence. It looks so beautifully done and I'd genuinely be happy if, and this is wishful thinking of course, SEGA picked up and gave it console releases lmfao. It's such an incredible work. Every time he releases a new demo I still feel compelled to go and play the old stages because they're just so much fun to go through.

Only gripe I have with this game is that some elements don't feel rewarding, like how easy it is to S rank Radical Train, or how simple transforming into Shadow's Chaos powers is. There needs to be more elements of difficulty here and there so that it feels more rewarding. But of course, this is a beta still and I trust ChaosX will know what to do when it comes to these aspects.

Just because this game is based off of '06, doesn't have to mean it's just the same. The characters play just fine and are very fun to use. The level designs feel like they've been used to their maximum potential, and I love that.

3. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Yeah I only now just got around to downloading it but S-ranking it seems so easy. Then again I was fighting everything in sight and generally having fun knocking stuff around in the physics engine (which does give you some points), so maybe Sonic level design is at it's most interesting when you're not just rushing to the end of a meter wide hallway in 2 minutes.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Man, that sucks... Hope it gets solved ASAP.
    And I here I was watching a YouTube vid by bickuribox12 about the project...

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Got around to playing through sonic's campaign with all S ranks and it was really enjoyable. I genuinely had fun the entire time, and the scoring system added to the combat makes it so much less of a chore, and actually fun at times. The improved spindash and stomp have to be my favorite moves though, they're really fun to use for navigating sonic around. I'm genuinely looking forward to playing through sonic's story if we ever get episodes instead of just act trials.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Stage mods are a thing for this game now btw, here's a WIP video of a Frontiers-inspired one.

Been having a lot of fun messing around with the custom stages, this one of Greenflower from Sonic Robo Blast 2 is probably my favorite so far.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Fan mods of a fan project. What a time to be alive.

9. Taylor

Taylor

Sonic P-06 is a remake of 06 that improves upon its issues. It's worth playing because it shows how deeply rooted 06's flaws are (hence why the thread is in this forum and not the fan game one, I feel like I'm talking more about 06 than ChaosX's own incredible work)

I recently finished it + snagged a few S-ranks in the process. Thoughts:

1. 06's open level design is often praised but it shows why 3D Sonic has gravitated towards a "corridor" approach. At times, it can be a little difficult on knowing where to go next. As an example: in Shadow's White Acropolis, there's a part where you have to find a switch to open a door. Right after the switch, is a door that won't open. Turns out the door you have to pass through is a different door a little ways *before* the switch, that's easy to miss because of the level's size + how fast you are. Other times, your speed has you falling off a ledge without warning. Kingdom Valley is Shadow's second level and by far his hardest because of how much water there is waiting to get ya. In Sonic's story its the penultimate level, so its difficulty is more appropriate but still far harder than his final level (Aquatic Base), which suggests to me Sonic Team didn't really get how an open level has to be carefully designed around high speeds (consider how Sonic Frontier's open zone segments doesn't have a lot of bottomless pits)

2. 06 has you briefly playing as other characters, which gets annoying because it disrupts the gameplay flow without warning and it happens so often (literally in half of Sonic stages). I think it's supposed to be a compromise between "Tails having his own dedicated story" and "you can't play as Tails at all", but it just makes the game feel scatter-shot and unfocused. In SA1/2, you at least *know* you'll be dealing with a different character and can prepare for it.

3. Speaking of gameplay disruptions, Shadow's vehicles...P-06 makes them less awkward and likely to kill you, but this results in these sections being hilariously quick. Not really a flaw with P-06 but more that, it makes you realize how much of 06's length comes from how dysfunctional it is...I wonder if Sonic Team put them in so they wouldn't have to make bigger levels :P

4. The beat em up sections are too simple and feel like a slog. The remake improves upon this but it's only a band-aid solution. You can do cool stuff, but you can still S-rank stages by just doing simple homing attack chains, there's no extrinsic motivation to engage with the game's combat system in depth. There's the counter-argument that making engaging the combat system a greater necessity (or making it more complex) would alienate people who just wanna enjoy Sonic's platforming and speed, and that shows the problem with the Adventure formula. It's a grab-bag of different genres, almost none of which are allowed to be fleshed out because it would alienate those who're in it for the platforming.

It's also odd that Shadow is the beat em up character since he's so mobile. When homing attacking, enemies will almost never hit him, and you can run past most enemies if you don't care about rank. If you do care about rank, then his high speed is pointless since you'll wanna take your time and kill everything. Compare this to the Power characters in Heroes (which introduced the beat em up stuff), who don't have such mobility and have to focus more on dodging and aiming hits. I'm not saying Heroes has high-skill gameplay, just it feels more thought out than 06. I feel Shadow was only made the beat em up character in an attempt to better diversify him from Sonic (since he just HAD to be in the game) without really thinking on how his high speed would synergize with beat em up gameplay.

5. 06 has a bunch of 1-ups, I wonder if it's because the designers knew how buggy the game was? It does encourage you to explore for 1-ups, because you don't wanna replay a 10 minute level when you die.

6. The movement still feels awkward at times. Mainly, you lose a lot of momentum and speed after homing attacking, which is annoying with how often you use it.

Despite all my whining, I had some fun. The remake brings 06 from a horrible game to a low-mid one, I think. It's free, so it couldn't hurt to check out.

10. charcoal

charcoal

It’s already got a thread in the fan game discussion sub forum. Good game, though. Probably the best 3D Sonic fan game.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  12. charcoal

charcoal

Pretty fun level mods. I really enjoyed Sand Oasis, I uploaded a gameplay video if you're too lazy to play yourself:

Gotta say though, it's harder than it looks. The scripting breaks more often than is ideal which can lead to some unfair time losses or even death, Hope it gets patched up sometime though because this really is an excellent idea. I never would've guessed it, but Sand Oasis benefits greatly from P-06's fluid controls and I sincerely hope more mods like this come out cause this greatly surpassed my expectations.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It does look fun.

14. Snowbound

Snowbound

Can someone help me out? I’ve unlocked the blue and green gems and was able to use them at first but after I beat the stage where I unlocked them my bar goes away. I can’t figure out how to use the gems and get the bar back. Do I need to unlock more? Am I missing a menu option?

15. charcoal

charcoal

You can use the D-Pad to select gems once they're unlocked. It works the same as retail 06.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Snowbound

Snowbound

Thank you!!! :)
    I never played retail 06 so I was really stumped

17. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Has there been any word lately on what/when ChaosX is planning for a new update? I’ve loved what I’ve played here and having the trio get their base stages is one of my most anticipated things right now.

18. charcoal

charcoal

The next update is going to be all of Silver's action stages. It's coming Eventually™.

19. The Secret Rings level mod is weird. I’d guess that Secret Rings’ design would be much more suited towards a boost game. The Adventure-style controls don’t seem appropriate. I mainly play games on consoles so I’m not super into the modding scene, so maybe someone’s already ported them into Gens or something which is why the creator did this.

Anyway, super looking forward to whenever the Silver release does come out. The only time I’ve really used my gaming PC in the last 5 years was to play P-06. It’s getting up there in years (it’s an Aorus X7 laptop - beefy for the time but upgrading isn’t really possible) so I hope it comes around soon or a Mac version gets released.

Has ChaosX ever indicated whether he’s doing the full game or just the levels? I’d really love to see the entire game ported. I imagine a compromise would be having just cutscenes in between stages on a story mode, but having an improved Soleanna to run around in would be very nice.

20. charcoal

charcoal

IIRC He's said before that for the update after the Silver release, he plans on adding the End of the World along with all the game's bosses. No hard and fast plans after that though, just whatever he wants to add. So maybe, but probably not. I'd love to eat my words though.