don't click here

Project Deluge - 135 Dreamcast prototypes + 349 Xbox (OG) prototypes

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by evilhamwizard, Sep 19, 2021.

1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher

Hello everyone! It’s that time again!

Continuing with our efforts with Project Deluge, today we present over 349 Microsoft Xbox prototypes and 135 Sega Dreamcast prototypes! From unreleased games to early builds, this lot continues to be fruitful.

Some Dreamcast highlights include - Debug enabled builds of Jet Grind Radio and Illbleed, a unreleased English localization of Shangai Dynasty, an early build of 4 Wheel Thunder called Offroad Thunder, an early prototype of Deep Fighter with preproduction FMV, and more! Xbox highlights include - prototypes of Jet Set Radio Future, Crazy Taxi 3, Toe Jam & Earl III, Gunvalkyrie, and more. Prototypes of unreleased games such as The Vatz, Made Man, and Hail to the Chimp.

Unreleased localization builds such as Dinosaur Hunting: Ushinawareta Daichi. As an extra treat, Laurent C. from Sega Dreamcast Info Preservation Games (https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-preservation.com/) has generously donated a prototype of ChuChu Rocket! and Sega GT as well!

Huge thanks to all of our project members on a job well done so far! The project isn't even close to being finished yet! Stay tuned for more in the upcoming months!

2. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Cool. I can't wait for what the Sega GT prototype is.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You are wonderful human beings.

4. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Awesome stuff! I take it that the Dreamcast "Retail release dates" were taken from Sega Retro? Whilst we're more accurate than most other sources, the dates are mainly "best knowledge". I'm still in the process of fixing many of the EU (or in reality UK) Dreamcast dates. It still won't be perfect after, but should be 90%+ accurate. I've worked backwards to late 2000, so still the first year to finish. For example, as it's a PAL exclusive; Jimmy White's 2: Cueball is dated as 1999-11 on Sega Retro, but actually released 2000-01-07 (also confirmed by the official UK ELSPA charts). Which explains why the current retail release date is before the retail build date. Can I just make an account and edit these on the Hidden Palace wiki, or do I need to submit them somewhere?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fascinating to watch last night, those bluescreen FMVs in particular were hilarious. This project has been an outstanding piece of work.

6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I've been digging a bit into Illbleed, and there are definitely some good amount of differences from final. A friend more versed in the game played it with me last night, and we think we will futz around with the proto for a good while, 100% the final, then go back to the proto for some good analysis.

I've extracted all the audio for Seaman and wow, that's an interesting one. It was definitely used on the floor of E3, and Seaman asks attendees if they've been to E3 before, what they like about the Sega booth, if they've seen "Stacy" who was in charge of his promotion campaign for E3. Seaman goes on to say that the Dreamcast isn't doing well in Japan, but he was a big hit there, and wonders since the Dreamcast is selling well in the USA if he won't do well here. Apparently he was also programmed to react upon hearing "playstation 2", but I haven't found any specific reactions to that.

A few of the games I've looked at use the OSB format in some way or another, so I am trying to extend an existing OSBExtract program to support more games than just Pyuo Pyuo 4, but it's not particularly easy.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  7. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Illbleed is also odd as it's the only localised Chinese language game. I still have some HK magazines to upload about that, but basically the HK Dreamcast magazine publisher decided to localize it, then Sega abandoned the market and Hong Kong was left for dead. Fortunately for them DC did really well in Taiwan, so they were able to release the Chinese Illbleed localisation in Taiwan in 2002.

• List
  8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That Shanghai Dynasty localisation - I don't know much about the game, and have yet to look into this prototype, but I do know that Activision owned the rights to "Shanghai", and usually got credited even if they didn't do anything. The publisher might have been someone different.

The disc says "サクセス" - Success

• List
  9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    • List