don't click here

Yuji Naka Retires (probably)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Gryson, Jun 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor

Taylor

I think going "Well X-Treme would probably turn out bad anyway so Yuji Naka's uncooperativeness is justified" is pretty silly. But on the flip side, the game's development was a mess from the start and its unfair to demonize Naka. The early 3D era was a rough time for gaming and many companies and franchises cracked under the pressure in some way.

2. Chris-M

Chris-M

I believe Naka was unccopearative because he thought Sonic Team (which was already properly established at the time and develping Nights) should be the ones handling Sonic games. After all Travelers Tales was primarily following ST indications while working on Sonic 3D and R. Mars/X-treme had no direct input from Sonic Team and was entirely an STI project. I understand that someone else working on a franchise you made and not doing what you want to do with it is the most likely reason as to why he had no faith in X-treme. He wanted to do something else with Sonic and didn't like the direction the project was going. This wasn't the fist time Naka disaproved of something Sonic related that STI made, as before Mars there was Sonic-16.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Agreed. Naka was the one who came up with the idea of a character who could curl up into a ball to attack enemies, which led to the title character becoming a hedgehog. Before that, the game was going to star a rabbit. Without Naka Sonic wouldn't be Sonic, literally.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Someone in this thread actually called Yuji Naka a xenophobe? I've just about McFucking had it with this thread lately.

5. You know, a person can do great things and still be an asshole, just saying.

Naka being a significant influence for Sonic and being difficult to work with aren't mutually exclusive and I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of both extremes

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Not sure what the hell happened to this thread, but that's probably a place to call it. When/if his smartphone game comes out we can discuss it in the gaming subforum, but debating the virtues and work ethic of a man none of us worked with during the relevant time period likely isn't worth our time if this is the best way we can approach it. If he actually calls it quits we can revisit this topic.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.