don't click here

Sonic Anniversary Symphony going worldwide

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by grantpa, Jun 23, 2021.

1. RDNexus

RDNexus

Finished listening. S3K and SA1&2 Medleys both gave me chills.
    They felt epic, the kind of themes one could hear in a movie release.
    Unleashed & Colors already have themes orchestral-like enough.
    The Rock part of the concert felt a bit 50/50, but still entertaining.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  2. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    It's also available on YouTube now.

It's certainly nice to hear how Masa-san would turn the track into a full song and since it's still him it's imminently faithful to the original track. He even added in that intro from his initial demo which is a nice touch. The added bridge is a great addition too and I'm curious to hear someone add it back into the Genesis SoundFont.

I'm honestly hoping there's an English version at some point, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    For anyone who happened to be disappointed that only one Heroes song was present at the symphony, here you go:

This arrangement was done by Game Symphony Japan back in 2016

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • List
  5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I don't know about you, but I'm getting a kick out of the performance of I Am... All of Me. Johnny is awesome in this one! ^^ Maybe they could revisit it eventually. You know, like the It Doesn't Matter remix from 2014, but with heavier guitars and drums and a modern production.

My top 3 of Sonic Symphony:
    1. Sonic Colors Medley
    2. I Am... All of Me
    3. Sonic Game Gear Medley

6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Live and Learn and Sonic 06 are the highlights for me. Live and Learn needs no explanation, but for 06, the way they implemented the intro to lead in to Crisis City, then have My Destiny as a whole and His World with those fuckin' horns, it just works.

7. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Say what you will about Sonic 06, but it has great music.

8. shilz

shilz

What I'm gonna say about it is I fucking love it and its section at the Symphony helped me realize just how much I did, beyond just the music.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I replayed '06 last year. There have been a lot of discussions recently that basically can be summed up as "06 isn't actually that bad" and "at least it's more ambitious than Forces". And whilst I can appreciate on some levels what '06 tried to be, that's as far as it goes. Replaying the game reminded me of just how truly awful it is, something that was lost to me after something like ten years of not playing it for myself. It's scope and ambition count for next to nothing when when the majority of design and creative choices were God awful, and the execution of what few good ideas it had was totally butchered. And that's all that I'm going to say on that matter here in the Symphony thread.

The soundtrack is literally the only part of the game that holds up against any scrutiny, and even then it's a bit bland for my liking. Still great as is standard for Sonic music, but I wouldn't rank it amongst my top ten Sonic soundtracks. The symphony rendition of Solaris Phase 2 was... Actually pretty disappointing. It felt weak. My Destiny was a welcome surprise though. They did that song, and Crisis City, justice.

I keep coming back to the second half of the symphony though, the part with all the vocal themes. The first half featured too many brief segments of tracks instead of the full versions. Like for example, I wanted to hear the orchestra play the full (or at least longer) versions of Rooftop Run and Can You Feel the Sunshine instead of just a heavily abbreviated versions. It wasn't quite a quantity over quality situation because the quality was absolutely top notch. But I think I'd have preferred if they cut the number of tracks a bit and dedicated more time to each piece. I do still really appreciate the breadth of what was included though.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The soundtrack absolutely holds up. Nothing else does at all.

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction

God, I'm so happy we're getting what we asked for with this. Absolutely adding Live and Learn to my workout playlist, and I honestly think I could perhaps sneak Speak With Your Heart into my general pop playlist without anybody being any the wiser.

13. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Welp.. now I got my background music for the weekend to listen to while taking care of my daughter.

Can’t wait to listen and enjoy this again.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm going to try to hold off in the hope of a CD coming down the road, but not sure I'll be able to resist for too long...damn you, Sonic symphony.

15. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Hell yes!!!!!

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
  17. shilz

shilz

I wish Google Play Music was still a thing so I could just buy it there and get it over with.

18. Sounds just as great today as it did months ago. Love it.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I still can’t believe that they seemingly retconned Sonic 4 out of existence. There wasn’t even a nod to Splash Hill. I get that the S4 series will forever be infamous in the eyes of all, but pretending it doesn’t exist is rather cruel. I really wanted to hear them do Sylvania Castle Act 1.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021