don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Random observations of Surge the Tenrec and Kit the Fennec;

As the comic title implies, they're imposters/doppelgangers of Sonic and Tails with some of their physical attributes.
    The lesser-known tenrec animal looks a lot like a hedgehog. A fennec is of course a well-known type of fox.
    Surge's face looks too much like Ashura to be a coincidence to me and her name is a great pick considering she summons lightning. I just wish I didn't think of green Surge soda...
    Kit seems to have a backpack with water tentacles, possibly some Chaos-adjacent stuff going on? Obviously named after kitsunes.
    The cover seems to indicate they have one Tails' tail. If so, the two floppy ears are a cool trade-off that plays off fennecs having large ears.
    I can't think of any reference or reason for the Tails counterpart to be blue other than plenty of recolors/fanart of it over the years and the fact that they're dealing with water.
    The two will absolutely will be mixing their water and electricity in combat.
    There's smart decisions and effort going in to these characters despite looking like simple throwaways on the surface.
    I doubt they become mainstays. At best, they get given rare bystander appearances down the line as depowered normal characters.

Don't let it ever be said that Ian and the team at IDW can't thoughtfully create new, intriguing Sonic characters.

3. _Sidle

_Sidle

"Surge the Tenrec" and "Kit the Fennec"
    the species names sound kinda similar, that's cute :)
    Sonic being infamous for his battles against mild amounts of water, and Tails having a known fear of lightning... fun things to prey on there!
    They also seem to be based on more glitch characters, similarly to how their creator Starline is.
    upload_2021-8-26_19-10-8.png
    Not 100% confident in Blue Knux being the specific reference in Kit, but it does compliment the trio (or Starline's inspiration, anyway). As this is a water dude, maybe there's some relation to Chaos, who hasn't shown up yet.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @Dissent + - Why would they go to the trouble of making new characters just to downgrade them to bystanders later? Whether these two remain loyal bouncers to Starline is a more relevant question, but I don't see these guys being a short-lived novelty at all. The comic has made a point of introducing new villains for Sonic to fight as part of an overall world building effort, it wouldn't make sense for these two to be throwaway. The comic as a whole is still relatively new, certainly compared to the Archie book, and needs long term depth to its world to sustain it for years to come.  

With all of that said...

amogus

5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    If Ian wanted a throwaway character to reference a 30 year-old glitch and get written out after their arc, he wouldn't have named them two letters off from the most popular villain he created.

6. Lozicle

Lozicle

I can imagine Sonic trying to reform Surge and Kit, like what he thinks Eggman is capable of ("I mean, you're clones of good guys!"). Maybe.
    It would be a shame to have such awesome looking characters only stick around for 10 issues.

7. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    https://twitter.com/PPDPPL_art/status/1433544605119639585?s=20

Confirmation of Ashura and other perceived influences, all very cool stuff to have so quickly after a reveal. Very excited to see where their story goes.

https://twitter.com/PPDPPL_art/status/1433550300946722825?s=20

More cool character tidbits.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  8. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    So which was better, the Tangle & Whisper comic or Bad Guys?

9. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Not particularly comparable because of the different approaches, but Tangle & Whisper had a relatively easy time being quality because it features some downright excellent comic-original characters, yet Bad Guys puts so much work in that it made comic-readers start liking Zavok, which by any account should be an extremely uphill climb! So take from that what you will.

(If you're looking for recs for which to read, though, BG is dependent on events in T&W, so you can't skip either of 'em.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I don't think I even bothered with Tangle and Whisper because I don't like either character that much. But I liked Bad Guys a whole lot, and vaguely got what the entire deal there was to Tangle and Whisper without reading it. So that probably says something.

11. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Oh I already read both, I just wanted to hear some opinions about them.

12. Lozicle

Lozicle

So, issue 44.
    I liked Sonic’s line about sticking to his principles, even if it feels kinda weird for him to word it like that.
    Also, didn’t Starline only get data from Belle’s negative emotions?

13. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    That'll probably end up being a plot point tbh, given this series. + - Quite unsettling to have him opening up Belle's head and poking around it on-panel. I know she's a machine, but still...  

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I like how I had to spend so long with the elephant in the room regarding Belle as a character that I've basically disregarded her entirely, only for her to finally get a glimpse of what that elephant actually meant.

The idea is fine, but the execution doesn't work for me. You never want to have the audience sitting with the obvious answer for too long, otherwise they won't care when they get the answers that weren't obvious as well.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Honestly I just don't like her generally, backstory aside. In my opinion she doesn't really fit the world and cast, and I far prefer the original designs Evan came up with before SEGA told her to make Belle more like a marionette. Really hoping she doesn't end up being a perpetual character. I would be absolutely fine with her being a sacrificial lamb to raise the stakes at some point.

16. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Personally I quite like Belle. In addition to the backstory which I'm sure will be leveraged as the series progresses, I find some aspects of her identifiable. She's a shy, kind-hearted soul who means the best but who can stumble over herself. She's the outsider who wants to be accepted for who she is in all her quirky friendliness, but the fact that she is different means she has a hard time relating to most people. The fact that Sonic and Co. are showing her she can be herself is definitely an arc that befits the series and kinda echos Tails' arc in some ways. There's a lot of good potential with her character that can be explored and I think that given Evan and Ian's track record it'll be met.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    If I recall correctly, the "original designs" were a failsafe in case SEGA were unsatisfied with her looking too much like a marionette.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Oh. As I recall, SEGA wanted her to look more like a Marionette and specifically requested the hinged jaw.

19. MBeca

MBeca

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    Man, I would've loved for her to have kept the mouse design because its literally so cute. Every day I wake up and wish we lived in a Mouse!Belle universe (also we need mice characters in Sonic, come onnn).

Regardless, as far as my opinion on Belle goes, I ... don't really have one. She's a character that exists. (To be fair, I honestly don't particularly care a lot about any of the IDW-exclusive characters so far, but I digress.) Honestly, I'm just desperately waiting for some interaction between her and Metal Sonic (or Omega) because I feel like that's one of the most interesting things you could do with her at the moment.