don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    So... We know that "Classic" Sonic is from another Dimension...sorta, I mean that's what Sega decided as of now. He is Sonic we know from 1, 2, 3&K and Mania.

We have Main Sonic, who starred in all of main games, the classic + Adventure + Unleashed etc. People reffered to him as Modern Sonic, but to me he's just Sonic.

And then we have Boom Sonic, from cartoon and Ninny platform games, that's all one dimension right?

So, do You think, there are any chances the three of them interacting in one game/comic or some other media? Would You like that?

With alternate dimensions getting more and more popular in mainstream media, I wonder if we will get anything like a TMNT crossover in the future. I mean, we have the upcoming Sonic Prime cartoon, but I don't think it will explore Boom or Classic dimension (IIRC, Prime Sonic is just our Main Sonic with different, probably plot related shoes and gloves).

I can't think of any game that did that sort of stuff besides Paper Mario (that 3DS crossover with regular RPG universe). And that one time when Capcom ported Rockman.exe to DS, and they included additional mission with StarForce character.

Do You think that would be a good/fun idea, or a waste of space?

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I think Boom Sonic is dead, and also the 90s cartoons Sonic. So it's not gonna happen.

There was a rumor that the Avatar in Forces originally was going to be Boom Sonic but the failure of his games forced the change. I don't think this is true though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  3. So is Sonic Twitter Takeover stuff ever considered canon at all? The part that stuck out to me was how Shadow implied Sonic did try to save him at the end of SA2, but Shadow willingly pushed him away and took the fall.

Throws a decent sized wrench into a lotta fan theories if we consider it canon.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's...obviously not?

5. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    They're just for fun things to keep the fans happy and to keep the social media engaging, really. I mean do you really think Tails is ripped when he's a thin, noodle-limbed 8 year old who spends most of his time tinkering with planes and other gadgets in his lab (he's definitely brains over brawns)? Or that he'd constantly be a bystander if he were so ripped that flexing his muscles would poke out one of Eggman's eyes?

6. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Anything with this rapid a production process would likely be done with only minimal review from Sonic Team. It shows a great understanding of the characters on the part of the VOs and this particular writing team that it'd even be up for debate, and it's always possible another writer for the series could mine it for inspiration and get material from it approved through the typical process, but these are relatively disposable as part of a marketing campaign. If Sonic HAD met Usain Bolt in 2011, would that be "canon"?

7. Ig, and I figured there wasn't, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway (especially since no one can agree on anything, I figured it was worth finding out if anything from these was ever considered canon or not)

8. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Don't know about You guys, but Shadow eating Coffe Beans is definitely in my Headcanon now.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Shadows Voice is just awful? I mean, I didn't mind his lines in forces and all star racing, bit here he sounds like a true edgelord. I wonder if that's because of the voice direction / line delivery.

9. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    Yeah, I've honestly ... never particularly liked any of his VAs, the current one being no exception. Maybe one day we'll get a decent Shadow voice actor LOL

10. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I really like Griffith, but I'm not sure if that's because I grew up with his Shadow or because he's genuinely got more range; the dual hit of playing SA2 in full for the first time lately and binging Sonic & Tails R while unwell has made me really start thinking about his character way more.

As for the matter of Kirk, I wish he put a little less force into the voice but his ad-libbing does show a pretty good understanding of the character, and I respect that a lot.

11. Forte

Forte

Poland
    I grew up on both Humphrey and Griffith, and I prefer the latter. There is something soft in his voice, which makes his Shadow both gentle and serious. Sonic & Tails R shows he is still capable playing him.

12. I've honestly gotten used to Kirk as Shadow, but that's obviously the unpopular opinion.

13. corneliab

corneliab

That detail would be gutwrenching in a good way... if Shadow actually died. As it stands I can do without it.

14. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    So I was just reading the instruction stories in the 2013 mobile versions of Sonic 1 and 2. In the instructions for Sonic 2 one paragraph said:

"Despite its unassuming appearance, West Side Island holds the key to Dr. Eggman’s latest malevolent plans for world conquest. Legend speaks of seven mystical stones that sleep there, sealed by the gods after an ancient civilization abused their powers. Dr. Eggman believes the legend refers to the Chaos Emeralds, which he needs to power his ultimate weapon: The Death Egg!"

What gods sealed the Chaos Emeralds there? And why are they there anyway when Sonic found the Emeralds in the first game?

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    1. It’s a myth, who knows? It they answered it it wouldn’t be mysterious. Presumably some West Side Island pantheon that’s never mentioned.

2. The same reason they’re in every other game’s specia stages: you need something to collect

16. Forte

Forte

Poland
    I always wondered if there are multiple Emeralds like in the comics. Maybe Sonic used the six in the first game to restore the island, and 7 from Sonic 2 are another set?

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

According to stuff uncovered over the years, Sonic2 was to have lore akin to S3K's, but got scrapped along the way.
    They probably didn't think much of changing the premise, despite nothing in it pointing to the whole lost civilization.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Pretty much. Westside Island was going to be the Emeralds' place of origin, but this fell apart when Hidden Palace was scrapped. So when they made S3K and finally implemented HPZ, they repurposed and reworked much of the lore originally planned for S2 to tie into Angel Island.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Maybe this is related to it, maybe it isn't:

- There is this lingering question that everyone in the Sonic community has that has yet to be answered; who created the Chaos Emeralds? In the games, its established that it is believed that the emeralds were created by the gods, but which god(s) exactly? People say it was Chaos, the God of Destruction, some say it was Solaris, the God of Time, and others say it was Dark Gaia and Light Gaia, the Gods of Destruction and Life respectively. From what I can find online, and that one Sonic theory video, the most common answer out of the three (or four) candidates are the latter. This makes sense giving an explanation to Light Gaia’s connection to the Chaos Emeralds as the Gaia Temples all have alters for each Chaos Emerald. But what do you think who created the Emeralds?

- I'm gonna have to back out of this one too because, again, I know things. And those things I cannot talk about as of right now. Suffice to say, none of those are right.

18:16

20. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Huh, I wonder if there's any chances he put some information about this stuff in the upcoming encyclo-speed-ia.

I mean, he says that he knows things. It could either mean, he knows some lore stuff that he can't talk about because it can be used in later games, or just that SEGA doesn't want this stuff talked about in general.