don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Seems about right that we can't hit a nice middle ground between "let's drown consumers with multiple Sonic projects rushed out every year" and "let's starve consumers with ticket stubs of the only Sonic project we have on our fiscal schedule until two months before release".

As for the anniversary branding, it's honestly kinda funny they're even trying to keep these things going on as major events every five years, when we've got even less going on now after the 20th anniversary. I feel like every added 10 years from the first game should be good enough for breaking out the big party planning stuff. Anything else should be more of a bonus/low-key thing. (Although it would be neat to see the anniversaries for games other than Sonic 1 acknowledged in a more-than-cursory way. Would had loved to see, say, a updated port of the first Riders for its 15th anniversary, for instance.)

2. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    This is exactly how I feel.

I think Sonic twitter/youtube discourse right now is self-destructive. Do we want this game fixed and expanded on? Do we want it to be refined and have that work carry over to other, better ports? Some of us have a significant platform of young, angry fans and are digging in to stuff about BSG and smearing their reputation very publicly. You aren't making anyone at the top of corporate ladders want to spend more money on this development or others like it. There are so many ways this could have went wrong and we literally cannot blame any one company without substantially more understanding of what expectations were exchanged between hundreds of humans, what unexpected problems occurred, and what deadlines could not be altered. Pointing a loud, nerd mob in an aimless direction of anger on these two platforms is a flash fire that only gives reason and validation to your immediate frustration while easily hurting your cause in today's social media climate. Some bad employee/contractor reviews about the management of unknown projects at BSG do not prove where fingers should be pointed and it's ridiculous it's being used as justification of anything. These kinds of things happen at every large company for any number of reasons, they also shouldn't be taken as the full story.

I know people want to find any reason to not blame thy coveted Sega, but this came down to them at the end of the day. They selected a contractor knowing the risks and made the final call to release it on physical media, as is. A lot of very young kids are going to snap this game up and will not see a single thing to be disappointed about. The game may completely glitch out if they're unlucky to which they might show a parent who goes "weird" and restarts the game, or they just do it themselves after laughing at it and maybe even playing with it. Many kids have little to no frame of reference for console gaming or anything Sonic beyond Youtube Kids content and the last movie they saw in a real theater being his.
    They're also clearly being onboarded while young to like Wisps. Getting this out ASAP was very important for when they reveal how integral they are going forward ;)

Also, as discussed, this thumbnail clickbait stuff is really gross. IGN gave SCU an 8, not a 3.

upload_2021-9-8_21-12-33.png

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Sonic may as well be the living embodiment of a Monkey's Paw at this point. For everything good that happens, there will be something equally bad to cancel it out. I don't think Sonic has had more than one or two years of consistently good quality games before it shits the bed again. It makes it REALLY hard to stay invested because after a while, you know the second you start getting attached and start hoping things will improve, the exact opposite happens.

And the punchline to this is that Sonic still sells well regardless lmao, at least among his core demographic of children. Sonic's character design and conept is so universally appealing that its hard to not be a young child and fall in love with the concept as many of us probably have. But then you get older and realize this world you fell in love with is being held together by duct tape and managed by people who barely have any idea on how to make him work more often than not lmao.

To bring this back to the port; I've been playing the PS4 version and its been pretty stable for the most part, and I'm actually enjoying myself. But it kind of bums me out that I know this port is hella fucking flawed and no amount of enjoyment from myself will get rid of those bugs being posted on Twitter lol.

I'll always have a soft spot for Sonic, but man I am so glad that I realized there are simply better games that I enjoy and have much more consistent quality; it just makes me frustrated because all I usually think about it "why the fuck can't Sonic be as good as this" oh well lmao .

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Kinda hard to break that habit when they've been doing it every five years since his inception.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Smoking's a hard habit to break, too, but people do it.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don't know why anyone even watches this clown given all the misleading information he's pumped out into the fanbase. I wonder if he's thrown Zippo under the bus yet after months of pumping up his leaks for views?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

And now that the game is out with asinine bugs people are now doing "the usual" of listing why SEGA is shit and should shut down now. Like clockwork.

8. Spinning round and round... like a repeating cycle-

The Sonic Cycle!

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The part that makes me sad is that, why does it HAVE to be under the Sonic Show name? The channel was dead. And then it wasn't. But it was alive for all the wrong reasons. And then he acts like he did a grand favor. It's not a good sign for people to go out of their way to let people know "I'm not associated with The Sonic Show anymore".

10. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

I just checked and that's the Sonic Show nowadays?! What?! How?! It used to be so good. I don't get it.

11. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    My copy of Ultimate on Switch just arrived today, and all I have to say is...

That keychain actually came out better than I expected.

12. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    Do you have any pictures :0?

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yep...this sounds like the job I left in July even. this shit is unfortunately common in tech industries (the last company I worked for was in the legal field), but in games you get the added bonus of being severely underpaid, doubly so if you're QA.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    Of the keychain or the game?

15. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

See and this is one of the reasons why finding a job is just not worth it because I would rather be homeless with no job than one who is severly underpaid who is also living paycheck to paycheck. Fuck the industry I hope those crap eating CEOs lose their jobs for still letting these shitshows to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Man, use your brain before posting something like this.

17. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    The keychain, sorry! That was wildly unclear lol

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  18. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    Here it is:
    IMG_20210909_125953.jpg
    it's so tiny, cute

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Does the actual game case have any mention of the Sonic keychain or is it just on the outer box?

20. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    Just on the outer box.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List