don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    KingK's 3D All-Stars video is legit fucking terrible though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's like they just applied a HQ2x filter to sprite work and said "this is the ultimate"

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Starlight Carnival and Asteroid Coaster are the jankiest levels, I almost don't want them patched because it's funny. The long light paths can shoot you at a million mph along them if you hit them right, half the doors are simply not solid, and Tails Save seems to mess everything up (he apparently doesn't get the memo when gravity is reversed...)

On the subject of Tails Save, it's a very easy way to get 3D in 2D - if you die in 3D and are saved back to a 2D section you usually keep 3D movement.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    The cutscenes in this trailer have added bloom and seem to be sharper compared to the final cutscenes. Here's hoping we get this in a patch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Ah, so when Blind Squirrel said, "they gave us the original cutscene files," they meant the FMVs ripped straight from the Wii version, and not the actual originals that SEGA's been using for the game's marketing. Neato.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah that's not all of it though. They actually DID get the originals from SEGA. They just didn't use them. They sit in the game unused. They chose to throw the cutscenes in an AI to upscale them, probably because it was easier.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    So it sounds like everything that went wrong is because of Blind Squirrel.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I think they're both to blame. As I see it, Sega wanted this fast and on all platforms, despite BSG not working with the Switch. They also wanted it on the cheap. On the other end, BSG was both semi incompetent and forced to meet specs they don't normally work with. They might have been more ambitious, BSG actually had more features planned (ghost races via online modes, Metal Sonic skin, "Very easy" mode), but they couldn't get to them. Also let's not forget COVID. It was right in the middle of this game's development. Everything took a hit because of COVID and this might have very well been one of those casualties.

I think at this point let's just hope they can fix this mess. It honestly sounds like they want to, so let's just hope that they can.

9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Wow. Given how the launch went, and stuff like the Godot debacle and this whole deal with the cutscenes, I have to wonder why they didn't just hang onto this game until November so it could have spent a little more time in the oven, and still been out in time for Black Friday/Holiday 2021. What was the big rush to have it out over Labor Day weekend? Were they that worried about competition later into the Fall? They weren't shy about the game's development being affected by the virus, so why not just say, "We got held up by COVID, so now it's gonna be November,"? I think consumers would have understood, especially us - we've been through this same song and dance so many damn times that a delay feels like a GOD SEND.

10. corneliab

corneliab

It is super funny to me that Sega continues to plan around five-year anniversaries as if anybody cares. At all.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Especially when so little gets released between them.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Remember when Sonic games were a yearly thing and everybody complained that Sega should stop that? :V

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    At this point, getting a game at all is the "every 5 years Anniversary" treat. lol

14. corneliab

corneliab

It's like the worst of both worlds now. The games are coming at a glacial pace but that hasn't seemed to help any lol. As shown with Forces, even if you give Sega/Sonic Team a ton of time to make a game they're gonna sooner waste it. I do hope that changes soon but I'm not optimistic.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I miss those days when we had tons of Sonic games at once. They weren't that good, but nowadays we have only a few and they aren't that good either.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Wasn’t the same thing said about the Mario games as well?

We had new games every year between 2009-2013 and people started to complain that it’s too much.. after 2013 we had one brand new game (Odyssey), 2 level creation games that I don’t count (Mario Maker 1 & 2), 2 re-releases, and 1 compilation… oh how ironically similar…

one brand new Mario game between 2014 and 2021 is really sad in my opinion.

In Sonic’s case, it only occurred between 2010 and 2013 and then we have releases every 4-5 years.. at least in Mario’s case we had some average to excellent games while Sonic only had 1 lol

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Sega makes bad games, people gets less interested in said games, Sega cares less but also makes less, the games are fewer and further between, people care less, rinse and repeat ad nauseum until we get 7 Yakuza games a year but only 1 Sonic game every 4 years.

Ngl in some sick way I bet the movie saved Sonic from complete irrelevance.

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    That's not what I meant. I don't want them to go back to annualizing Sonic, I just want them to wait longer between breaking out the anniversary branding.

19. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I just liked seeing Sonic being around, knowing we were definitely going to keep getting more games. Even at that time, we still had some good games being made. I've honestly feared for a while that it won't be long before Sega just decides to stop making Sonic games outright, or we get them so seldomly that the series just completey dies out. I've seen people say "well, the fangames will still be around", but if the series fails to bring in new generations, then those will die out at some point as well.

I'm sure someone will retort that there are better things out there than Sonic, but I never said this was something that keeps me up at night. I'm just saying as a Sonic fan, I wouldn't like this outcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Gotta disagree. We get Mario games all the time. The spin offs are usually of high enough quality that fans are willing to wait years between platforming entries especially because they know it will be worth the wait time.

The issue with Sonic is that there are long wait times and the games aren't even ensured to be good for the wait time. Nor are the spin offs good enough to help the time between entries feel less dreadful. I wouldn't mind waiting 3 or 4 years between titles if they always hit it out the ballpark but that's usually not the case anymore.