don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Honestly, I don't see the other characters' 'super forms' (Tails, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray) as super forms, even in the classic games. They're just too different.

Maybe Psuedo-Super, like what happened in that Lord Slug movie...? They're just tapping into the emeralds power and get a strengthened aura for invincibility and heightened speed, but not other things like flight and assorted powers...

2. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

The History of Sonic The Hedgehog book refers to him as Gemerl as does a few others iirc.

3. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Now that Colours Ultimate is out, is that the canon version of events? With, like, Metal Sonic and the Jade Wisp and stuff?

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Colors' canon is what you want it to be, really.

The wisps in Lost World came from Colors because they wanted to know Sonic's planet (Sonic Runners said that), but there are wisps in Lost World that weren't in Colors. Mother Wisp is Colors DS exclusive, but she made a cameo in Team Sonic Racing and Runners.

Imagine if all 3 versions of Colors happened somewhat at the same time. This is the canon.

5. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

I always saw it as both the Wii and DS versions were canon and that the real story was some mix of the events of the game. I'd say same thing applies here.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Same. Basically, Lucas Canon:

The Wii Version is the primary canon.
    If it does not interfere with the Wii version, then the DS version elements are canon.

7. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    His name is supposed to be spelled as G-merl, they say Gemerl in IDW and Archie because that is how you pronounce it. Star Wars comics do the same with their robot characters. Luke doesn't say C-3PO, he calls him Threepio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That cuts off the C, so that would make G-Merl "Merl", so not the best example.

9. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    But "Gemerl" can easily be interpreted as "jeh-merl" or "geh-merl" (hard "g") rather than "jee-merl." In fact I'd argue it's more likely to be interpreted in one of those ways rather than what G-merl indicates.

And I will forever hate this spelling convention. :V

10. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Regarding the Gmerl-Gemerl thing:

In Sonic Battle, Tails names the robot Emerl since he's powered by Chaos Emeralds. His name in Japanese is エメル which is pronounced "Emeru" which is a shortening of the Japanese pronunciation of emerald used in the series エメラルド or "Emerarudo". In English, since we can't shorten it quite the same way, the localizers opted for Emerl.

@18:51

Gmerl's name in Japanese is ジーメル, which is pronounced "Jīmeru" which honestly could be interpreted as G-Merl if translated directly. Based on what Sega has been mandating for the Archie and IDW comics, they seem to have opted for Gemerl which is seemingly a play on gem and emerald. The article on our wiki seems to indicate fans started calling him that, but there's no citation. Additionally, I can't really find any official English source that calls him "G-Merl". Honestly, based on Sega's current stance, I'd say his official name is "Gemerl".

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'd say both.

G-Merl is Robotnik's designation, like E-102 Gamma. Gemerl is what the heroes call him since he's blatantly based on Emerl and it seems less cold.

There, problem solved. Call me SEGA.

12. Pengi

Pengi

It's a lower case "m". G-merl.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Honestly, they should've kept that line in the English localization as they did with Blaze's line in Generations. I'm glad Ian's looking into it now though.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s a throwaway line in a spin-off game. I’m pretty sure it’s just a wink and a nod to fans who played 06…

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    So, does G-merl actually remember being Emerl, and befriending Sonic? I didn't read GBA games manuals, and all I remember was Sonic fighting Emerl so he doesn't destroy the planet or something.

Then, IIRC G-Merl shows up and You need to fight him in Advance 3, because Eggman. Later, the Gizoid tries to destroy everything again. After beating from Super Sonic and Eggy, Tails repairs him, so he lives with Cream. Did I miss anything?

When You think about it, it's a pretty tragic story. Sonic basically has to fight his brainwashed friend.

17. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I’m not so sure that Gemerl is the same entity as Emerl. I used to think he was reconstructed from his parts or something, but Emerl actually vanished so I guess that wouldn’t make much sense. As far as I know it’s never really specified other than him being based on Emerl in some fashion. Tails reprograms him at the end of Advance 3 to make him good, and I don’t think Tails could have done that with the original Gizoid.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think the true ending in Advance 3 is supposed to imply that G-merl is a rebuilt Emerl, as we see Cream and Cheese getting elated after his repair and glomping him. That scene makes more sense if she just reunited with an old friend she thought was dead, but not so much if G-merl is just some new guy she had no history with (beyond having faced him as an enemy in the same game).

I suspect that's also why the manual implies that G-merl is related to Emerl but doesn't elaborate, leaving the true nature of their relation a mystery -- so that the aforementioned ending comes off as a surprise. If he was just a new bot based on Emerl like E-121, they could have just said so.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The issue of remake / remaster canon has existed across media for decades, especially in film and gaming. I suppose it comes down to whether a remake retcons something that is truly important to the future of plot of the series, or in some cases might be considered the definitive edition. The Star Wars special editions, for example, are the definitive editions, like it or not.

Super Mario 64 DS is an interesting game example that retcons the story and alters gameplay a fair amount, but because it was on a handheld, and is a remake of one of the all-time quintessential 3D platformer, it’s generally seen as an ‘alternate take’. Nintendo officially recognise the N)4 version as the true Super Mario 64.

I would argue that the various versions of Sonic Colours are all just alternate takes of the same story. You can play any one of them in place of the other and it doesn’t really impact the end result of the story. The games still go from A to B, even if there are some minute differences along the way. New Wisps being present don’t affect the story enough and can be easily explained away, in the same way that Star Wars explains why there’s more diverse aliens in the prequels - I guess it’s just another part of the universe and they’re in the background, or something.

Edit: Gemerl is clearly meant to be Emerl rebuilt, based on the story, visuals and audio cues that accompany him.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  20. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland