don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

I wonder why this didn't happen with the original release of the game. Really why?

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's a different beast. These glitches have nothing to do with the base Wii game, many of these glitches are visual, crashes, data corruption, and audio related. These are all things that have been altered from the original release, in some cases altered in a way that made the end result worse (the sound mixing). 95% of these glitches are based off changes and new content, and some of the original glitches, like the 3D in 2D stuff, have even been acknowledged in the game itself. Those they kept on purpose, you hear Tails saying stuff like "ummm you shouldn't be here." The other glitches? Not so much

3. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I suppose Colors Ultimate is the new Sonic DX in recent times, isn't it?

4. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Why can't the gaming industry go back to when day 1 patches weren't a thing and you actually had to release the game in the least buggy state? SEGA was doing that just fine with that in the original release of Sonic Colours.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  5. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

The only difference is that I don't see this retroactively lowering peoples' opinions of the original, or even saying the new glitches were always there, but we'll see how that goes when Arin Hanson gets his mitts on the game.

YESSSS!!

Seriously, so many current practices of the game industry just push me even further to just stick with the older games I like. It's just easier and I refuse to put up with all of the BS and worrying about hard drive space for updates and crap. I just want to pick up my games and play them. I see so many like minded people called out for having rose tinted glasses, but it's just honestly how I feel. The industry has always had scummy practices going on, but I honestly feel like all of the stories of massive crunch, abuse and other things, as well as the aforementioned things, which directly affect my enjoyment and experience, just makes me so unenthused to check out or look into newer games.

At the very least, I still check out some well received indie titles from time to time, so it's not like I'm a total gaming hermit! Haha!

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's getting pretty disgusting. This whole "release a game finish it later" shtick is getting old. And sometimes the game's not buggy but simply lacks content, such as Mario Golf: Super Rush.

7. _Sidle

_Sidle

:ohdear:
    Off to collect vids, I guess. Maybe it'll be useful later.
    Anyone who wants to help with this, do a post format of "[raw uploaded directly from capture/camera footage showing screen]--detailed description of events". Not exactly the sturdiest foundation, but should suffice for now.
    --
    [raw/cam]--Terminal Velocity hub world is slathered in hues, Sonic himself appears fine. Act card quickly cycles through a barrage of wrong textures, before settling on about three horizontal rows of light cyans+magentas+yellows+whites on the right and dark reds+greens+blues on the left. These persist to the level. HUD is garbled, sky is white, terrain is black and glitchy. Death made the sky glitchy.
    [raw/cam]--Sweet Mountain rockets landing cause screen to breifly become fully enveloped with reds+lues+greens+cyanmagentas+yellows+whites+blacks.
    --

8. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Nintendo has been SUUUUUUUUPER scummy this gen. It's like the Switch's runaway success has emboldened them to just be assholes because they can. Limited edition digital releases...

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nintendo. Love their games, HATE them as a company. All these Japanese developers are scummy honestly (its a work culture thing I am not basing this off race). When Nintendo is doing good they start delivering less. Only a serious threat will light the nessecary fire under their ass, so hopefully the steam deck does just that.

Oh, here's a minor glitch I've been able to replicate. If you complete an act and then reset the stage on the results screen, the "Score" text will no longer appear over the score. Also if you get a "Times Up" in a level and complete an act and then reset the stage on the results screen, your bonuses text will temporarily be red before switching to white

10. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    [raw/cam] Terminal Velocity breaks apart, but now it's meta.

(I don't know how to describe this properly and wanted to do the joke)

11. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I don't think DX is in any way comparable to this. It did add a handful of glitches (while fixing just as many), make question changes to the art style, and add some new content that didn't really feel like it belonged, but it was a lot more polished than this. I'd gladly play DX for the improved load times and skippable cutscenes alone, whereas I'd straight-up never even give Colors Ultimate a shot.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oof, really? I'd still choose base pc Colors Ultimate than base DX. But that being said I like Colors Ultimates added features and graphical tweaks more than DXs. But I hope like SADX, mods will eventually make Ultimate really the "Ultimate" version of Colors much like how mods made SADX really the DX version

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

When you get a better experience out of just downloading an HD texture pack or two and emulation compared to a $60 remaster that was rushed to release and outsourced to keep the budget down, you know there's a problem.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Gotta fact check you there, this rerelease costs $40 ($45 for Digital Deluxe)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

I wish that the casuals and the hardcore gamers would say that the gaming industry needs a reform but I doubt it will since no one cares and especially the casuels. Don't even get me started on the little kids who are growing up buying this crap and thinking that this is a normal thing to do either.

16. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I'd wager hardcore gamers care a lot less, but in their own way. At least in part, people who play games casually are much more inconvenienced by how alienating some practices are - how is one supposed to know that, when they buy a game, they're actually buying a ticket to see the game being developed in real time?

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lol apparently two fan renders are in this game's files as placeholder art. There's an SA styled Super Sonic by Nibroc-Rock and a Classic Tails by Mike9711.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. RikohZX

RikohZX

Fair enough, that's my mistake on research, but still not the best investment when I still have a physical Wii copy that I can put in my Wii U, and those that had been emulating it for the better part of the past decade probably still will. For people who want it on modern systems it almost feels like a crude bait on a hook. If this was a better and more stable release I wouldn't be so irritated.

19. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    At least it's not like that time fan art of Sonia from Sonic Underground got used in All Stars Racing and they couldn't patch it out of the Wii version, lol.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agree on the last part. But this is for many the 1st time this is available to them. I still want to see what the real day 1 patch will bring, but idk this still offers more than many Nintendo rereleases (like DKC Tropical Freeze or Skyward Sword HD, two bare minimum ports that in the case of the latter cost more than the original)