don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Have you guys ever mixed coke and mentos? Idk I feel like this might be an appropriate analogy in this case

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Like, the drink, or…?

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

Besides old men in charge of the company that clearly have no idea what they're doing anymore, it's obvious what this is: Sega treating it like a brand that has to exist to justify pushing out merchandise. Who cares if you outsource it to a dev that is crap at Switch ports and isn't fit for the project in such a tight deadline? It'll justify making more money with Sonic so it's no problem!

This line of decision-making has haunted the franchise since Sonic 3 with the McDonald's toy line mess in 1994, and they have not learned any lessons from that, much less Sonic '06's failures. Sega doesn't reflect. They don't learn, they don't figure out how to avoid the problem again. They just churn products and try to manage profits, and then do a kneejerk reaction to the next controversy that never ends in a good turnaround. My guess is Blind Squirrel wasn't even Sega's first choice, but they were the affordable one, and here we are with yet another debacle.

It's the 30th anniversary of Sonic, and all these thirty years have shown is that Sega still and have always been a bunch of idiots coasting on the success of a handful of their greats with no backup plans.

5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I think the question is why did they even bother with any of this Ultimate extra content. If they had the source code for the original, a quick port of the Wii game at 4K/60fps would have been theoretically easier and less time consuming for an arguably better release. Even the Switch could handle 1080@60fps. No one asked for any of this content other than a way to play the game on other platforms. It makes me nervous for any other potential re-releases in the future, and how they could butcher them just for a back of the box marketing blurb and pre-order bonus. This is the worst monkey paw scenario we've had since Sonic 4.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, I got basically all the achievements now save for completing the Egg Shuttle, which I'll do later once this game's patched up a bit more. The achievements really aren't that hard to get, very few I had to go out of my way for.

Btw a good level to do the "no ring" achievement is Asteroid Coaster Act 4. It's where you run around the ring with the motobugs. As long as you jump over the rings at the end you should be fine, and the levels really short.

Also I don't care what anyone says I like the different glove/shoe options. It's a decent way of incorporating costumes into the game without allowing you to go full OC the Hedgehog. I was also able to buy all the costume items (save for the avatars) without doing any real grinding, so that's good. If you're good at Colors and know what you're doing the game gives you pretty much all you need medal wise. I also liked Rival Rush mode, although I will agree with KingK in that the assets produced for that mode make no sense with base Colors whatsoever

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I've been playing the game on my PS5 and while I've noticed the abundant of bugs on the Switch version via Twitter, I have yet to actually encounter any game breaking bugs. (Yeah I know they exist on other versions.) Anyways the only bug I've encountered so far is that the music stops playing from time to time. I never played the Wii version as I only owned the DS version prior to SCU release. (I didn't have a Wii at the time the original game was released.) I'm enjoying it so far, but I really do hope we'll be getting a patch on Tuesday to fix the glaring issues with the Switch version. (And even the glitches that have appeared in other versions too of course.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Colors:_Ultimate

Game's been out for a day and they're finding some pretty interesting things buried in the game. The Mii model for the Sonic Simulator still exists, references to a time trial ghost mode that just doesn't exist (maybe they realized these features always get destroyed within 3 days so why bother), some interesting placeholder stuff. I particularly like the Tails Save drawing that looks like it was an asset taken from Sonic X of all things.

What a weird beast this game is. Also curious why they decided to hide the floppy disk icon for the save icon. It's there they just... decided against it for some reason. Maybe they figured the young'uns won't know wtf that icon even is? In 90s cartoons they were the key to destroying everything apparently lol

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  10. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Hey I was the one who added this tidbit! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    So apparently some of the glitches have been fake?
    https://twitter.com/OnTheDownLoTho/status/1434341007236206597?s=19
    https://twitter.com/TreyNoblesRM/status/1434346906424123393?s=19
    Some of the tweets in these threads have been deleted, but some of the accounts with more notable graphical glitches (the seizure-inducing ones, and the T-pose ones) have admitted to using a modified build of the game in an emulator on underpowered set-ups, or a modified Switch outright.

I think it's really sad if some of this outrage has been manufactured.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    We've been talking about it in Discord and yeah. That's pretty scummy people would deliberately pass off emulator glitches as happening in the real game. Actually kind of pisses me off.

14. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    This is bad for everyone.

These fake reports have had huge repercussions, they've been shared by big name game reviewers and news articles have been written about them.

Developers get bad rep and if this blows up too much for the wrong reasons (since so many people hate Sonic) it could cause the entire studio to close in the worst case scenario. Tons of jobs destroyed.

And as a consumer that doesn't have that much disposable income and will likely have to trade or sell one of my games to buy this one, this is bad since I can't distinguish between real and fake glitches to make an informed decision on buying the game.

15. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Oh-- so THAT was what was going on. Interesting (also yeah rather annoying)

Edit: wait what so this one - the actual worst one - seems to be legit? Jesus

16. All this tells me is that Sonic will never ever reach the same highs as Mario. Sega COULD but quality never has and never will be their priority.

17. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Couldn't you just wait a week or two to do a simple search of the glitches in the game and then buy the game if it's stable enough? And good god do you always think of the nuclear option of people's jobs getting lost? You need to calm down.

18. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Yeah, and I have seen plenty of big graphical screw ups that are legit. It's still a big mess.

This whole damn situation is a mess, between the game itself to drama surrounding it. Feel kind of exhausted right now. LOL!

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    1st impressions are lasting impressions. No Man's Sky might be good now but it's horrendous launch still caused damage.

There's a lot going on here right now and some of its pretty scummy. If people are passing emulated glitches as real, before most people have access to the game, it's going to cause lasting damage. People will either refund the game or not buy it. And this is on top of real, very serious glitches.

This whole 4 day early access thing has blown up in their faces spectacularly. If they wanted this to work, the day 1 patch should have come out yesterday. As it is though? This is a disaster

20. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I really want to see this thing get patched up. I'll probably wait until it comes to Steam and hope it's in good shape by then. I do love customization in games, and that seems like a fun thing to mess with in this game.