don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    From everything I've seen thus far, I cannot strongly disagree with this enough. Seizure-inducing glitches, corrupting game saves, and that's only scratching the surface...

This is absolutely significantly far off from being in a "shippable state"; SEGA / Blind Squirrel, this is simply unacceptable. The game should never have been publicly released in any capacity (Deluxe early access or otherwise.) in this sorry state, it's honestly so embarrassing. :(

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ I'd say the PC version was mostly ready to ship, the sloppiest part of my experience so far has really been the credits sequence and the 2 crashes. The Switch version is another story, that wasn't ready to ship
    Oh it's less their fault and more why have them at all if you don't fix shit.

3. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    At the time of writing I hadn’t seen the seizure glitch. I retract this sentiment, specifically regarding the switch build.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. I have seen a number of videos showing breaks or glitches in the Switch version but I haven't encountered any. I picked up the game for both Xbox One and Switch, and the differences are extremely minimal — you appreciate the extra FPS on the stronger consoles but don't miss them on the Switch. That's been my experience, FWIW.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Fair play, I appreciate you clarifying with additional information from your prior awareness / perspective. :)

Speaking of clarifying, I just want to make it clear that I wasn't having a jab at you, I'm just rather bitter towards SEGA nowadays. They're like the the boy who cried wolf at this point, and it's all so tiresome; "We don't want to rush Sonic games anymore." - t. SEGA, but then they push this jumbled shit out afterwards... It's fucking insulting.

While the Switch version indeed appears to be shitting the bed particularly badly, sadly all versions definitely have significant issues.

I'd absolutely love to have been a fly on the wall in the SEGA and Blind Squirrel offices and whatnot during "development" of Sonic Colours "Ultimate", because I'm genuinely fascinated as fuck how the hell all of the problems (From the more minor issues of bloom over-use and questionable sound effect design choices to the major issues of game crashes and corrupting save files.) managed to all occur across multiple platform versions of just one game. :eyebrow:

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah I haven't encountered anything horrific at all. Only noteworthy bug I experienced was a single crash in Starlight Carnival Act 1 I wasn't able to replicate in a second go.

I saw a tweet that pointed out he's deliberately choosing a broken version of one of the best games in the series (that'll 100% get patched) to play through to keep the "Sonic was never good" schtick alive, and I couldn't agree more. Pretty damn annoying if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2021
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Now I don't feel so bad about this being a timed Epic exclusive on PC. When it releases on Steam in 1 year it should be all patched up.

8. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

it's a DREAM PARADOX Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    so
    i bought it on switch! digital deluxe, even! and played it all the way through, even!
    and... i, personally, playing on a switch lite... didnt experience most of the rather nasty bugs people seem to be hitting.
    thats not to deny that they exist; obviously theyre *happening* to people, even if i missed em myself. just, seems i got lucky, maybe?
    either way...
    i found the core game experience to be pretty much uncompromised; from start to finish, it was about equivalent to the original wii version.
    i even really liked all the remixed music, though it does feel a little silly that there was no toggle, and that the second set of bosses didnt use the original themes from the first game, considering that those versions are there in the sound test waiting to be used... also, if it were me, i might have put the original songs on the first three acts of each zone/first set of bosses, and then the remixes on the latter three acts/second set of bosses. idk! it just seems a little odd

i did, over the course of the game, experience:

• the bizarre audio mixing issues; lots of "my left ear enjoyed this" moments in there, to be sure, and a lot of ear-ringingly overly loud sound effects too :flunked:
    • some of the visual pop-in issues; perhaps the game is culling objects more aggressively and incautiously to keep framerate up on the switch?
    • the comically overlong credits with no music or wisps past where the original cut off; this is why remakes and ports usually just credit "...AND ALL ORIGINAL GAME STAFF" at the end, or have a separate credits option for the port on the title screen/in the options, guys... and you couldnt have put some jade ghost wisps somewhere in there? sheesh
    • the janky presentation of the Options Satellite and the Rival Rush system; rival rush especially feels weird and half done, like a system they bolted onto the side of the game at the last second more than anything. which is a shame, because it hearkens back to one of my favorite underrated features of the DS version: the local/online wifi race mode!

it almost feels like sega kinda threw blindsquirrel under the bus with the digital deluxe early release, tbh. i guess it remains to be seen if the day 1 patch fixes things up, but still... since i didnt have a seizure, i enjoyed myself decently enough for what it was, heh.

(also theres a bunch of phantasy star icons but no yakuza ones; 0/10 totally unplayable smh)

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I think the fact that some people are experiencing issues that others aren't and vice-versa speaks volumes to how unstable this game is. That, and the game crashes and save file corruptions - from what I've seen so far - seemingly aren't happening at particularly consistent places?

It'll be quite interesting to me to see how things emerge over time, with techies delving into the game's code, how SEGA / Blind Squirrel patching goes, etcetera. Perhaps the specific causes of crashes and corruptions will become more clear in time, but as of now it appears to be kinda random and inconsistent whether or not they occur, and when they do occur.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Makes sense if you know that the Switch version is not only struggling but shouldn't have been green-lit to start with...

And then there's THIS. Ugh. Bet he deliberately plays the Switch version offline as well so there's no chance of anything being patched.

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Will say this though. Sonic with movie boost and chrome red shoes looks very cool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Fascinating to see how this guy on Twitter predicted the entire porting disaster a month ago via a logical analysis of Sega and Blind Squirrel's incompatible work cultures and was harassed for it at the time, now completely vindicated by it all coming true. It's still worth a read for putting into perspective what happened and why, but the main takeaway is that we shouldn't blame Blind Squirrel for this.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I don't understand why everyone's bullying Sonic Colors Ultimate. It may be buggy but I find it very impressive considering it was developed entirely by a blind squirrel.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I know. It's almost like the vast majority of gamers don't actually care if a game has the absolute best graphics as long as it's fun to play...

15. Smashbro

Smashbro

it's really sad that the switch and ps4 versions are not up to snuff... i was playing the pc version... which is probably the good version.

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

After following this thread today to see how this stacks up, it really just has to be said: SEGA’s never going to be consistent with this series and I think a lot of us are now… just done with this.

At least we still have Mania, the film, and the cool merch :oldbie:

17. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Oh yes. At least we still have:

- Decent sprite-based Sonic game from 4 years ago that I've played to exhaustion and now I can't enjoy it anymore.
    - Cheap family-oriented movie that made me go "hey, that wasn't so bad!" in the theater and probably wouldn't have succeeded had it not been for the lockdowns, and its sequel that probably won't sell toys as much.
    - Merch that won't ship to my country.

I want to cry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, that makes sense, another Sega at fault dumpster fire.

Fucking hell why won't you people at Sega ever learn?

Edit: a few other notes/observations
    - I should have expected this, Super Sonic strips away your cosmetics (really though?). This doesn't apply to your boost effect at least
    - anyone else feel like the Rival Rush "Ready/Go" graphics look like they were ripped from Unwiished? They look VERY out of place

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I think this might be more accurate.

People, this is not a Boom scenario.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    That's the big question all Sonic fans ask.

They've definitely got a toxic work culture of some kind, at least when it comes to Sonic. The problem is; outside of anecdotal horror stories from ex-employees, I don't think we'll ever know the specifics for sure unless you went and planted cameras in every room.