don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. MH MD

MH MD

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Welcome to my world lol.
    At the very least I could understand the ratings back in ‘10, but the game getting the same ratings nowadays is just baffling to me. Especially with the apparent poor quality of the remaster.

I’m waiting until I get to play it to form a final opinion but I don’t see myself suddenly liking this game, given that they didn’t change anything about it and it’s more or less a straight port.

That being said, the remastered soundtrack is a gift from the god and WILL be played at my funeral. I hope they release it physically because I really need to hold it.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It really does seem like the Switch version should be avoided - mind you, that was obvious when it was noted it'd only be 30fps and not 60 =P

What a mess, and a damn shame it's happening for one of the better games this franchise has put out in the last 20 years.

4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. As a vocal critic of Sonic Colors and everything it established, even I can't help but be a little bummed out by the poor quality of this port. And even more bummed by how nobody outside of the fanbase really seems to care either.

20 years and Sega still cannot get over their own greed surrounding this series and is more than willing to put out a shoddy port if it means turning a profit of any kind. Just the blatant lack of quality and care just deflates me man. Its one thing with a game like Forces which was made from the ground up, but they have somehow managed to ruin one of the few games that was good.

I dunno man, I'm just exhausted at this point. 20 years of this and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. MH MD

MH MD

It's easy to see why, it's the game with no obvious flaws, no "shitty friends", no werehog, no sword, no alternate gameplay styles, just sonic and only sonic, with creative stages , actual playable Super Sonic for the first time in 3D games, simple story that only has Sonic face Eggman in the end, it's easy to see why it was liked, even now, in a way, it's the most well-rounded package for a Sonic game, arguably ever till now.

I don't prefer this game over Unleashed or Generations, but if someone claims it's the best 3D Sonic game i can clearly see why for the listed reasons above, especially in it's release, it was a breath of fresh air in how focused it was.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
  8. MH MD

MH MD

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
  10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

To me, Colors always felt like a game that was designed less to be good and more to fill out the checklist of common requests from that era's players :V

It technically succeeded, but the way it was designed, many of its aspects were underwhelming and a regression compared to previous games.

The strategy obviously worked, looking at its reception. So it's no wonder we later got similar uninspired games that shared many of its faults, like bland levels, focus on platforming and puzzles over speed and flow, stripped down gameplay...

11. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff

KingK on YouTube has done a fairly comprehensive video review thanks to a review code that explains most all of Ultimate's shortcomings.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Dang, these glitches just keep getting worse and worse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
  15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Oh that? Don't mind that, it's just the complimentary 3000 SPF suncream.

Definitely going to give this a watch later, but I want to give him props for managing to jab at the terrible presentation of Rival Rush before the video has even been clicked on.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok so I just beat the game, not 100% yet but close (I mean, not hard exactly when you know how to play the game already). So what's there to say. Well at its core its Sonic Colors, that's for sure. And because that was the case I still had fun. The PC version doesn't seem to have nearly as many bugs as the Switch version, thank God, but I have experienced 2 crashes so far for seemingly no reason.

This is an unfortunately sloppy port. I hope the day 1 patch (which should have been ready when the digital Deluxe version unlocked that was very dumb of them) addresses some of these issues, I mean they have to. Those color seizure glitches simply can't stay in the game and they already have to update the credits to include Godot (which btw I feel like I should have been credited simply having to watch those credits MY GOD IT TAKES FOREVER, plus after the original credits end there's no music for the remainder and no more wisp capsules to play with so you just get to be very very bored).

But Jesus with a game that apparently had a fleet of QA testers if the credits are anything to go by, how the hell did this happen. I certainly hope they don't use Blind Squirrel again. And can I just say, what is this PC resolution? There are black bars on both sides of my screen since for some reason.

But I still had an overall good time. I hope some of these issues are addressed though simply because they should. Idk, let's see what comes out of the patch I guess? But also wow talk about a bloated game, they didn't remove anything from the Wii version in the files and they even have test levels from the original in here that weren't left in the Wii version. Those should be fun to fuck around with though

17. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Love KingK! Looking forward to watching this review.

18. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    I guarantee it’s the same old story. QA surely isn’t to blame — typically they find the bugs but they just aren’t addressed under time or budget constraints. It sucks and QA is an easy punching bag.

19. Sonic Genesis has entered the chat

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Turbohog

Turbohog

Yeah, if it wasn't for Sonic Genesis and possibly SADX, I'd say this is the worst port/remaster Sonic's ever gotten.

I'm only interested in picking this up if someone makes a mod that gets rid of all the filler levels. Otherwise, hard pass from me.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021