don't click here

Sonic 2 Pink Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I feel like the mouth works better for Amy on the right one.

2. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Nah

3. Vangar

Vangar

Not sure what one is new, but the right one

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

NEW UPDATE!:

[​IMG]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...131836973076/Sonic_2_Pink_Edition_Rev_1.9.bin

* The secret level has been extended tremendously and is now available to every character. Very special thanx to campbellsonic for coding most of the unique elements.
    * Contest is over so character spoilers are no longer needed. It's Big by the way everyone. :P
    * Big and Cream Mode added. Very special thanx to JDPense for some VRAM tricks to get this running.
    * A couple short cuts added in CPZ and HTZ.
    * Fixed character select in level select to not activate with Sound Test highlighted.

Known bugs:
    * Big and Cream mode still has the odd bug, such as some graphical problems in special stages.
    * Cheese will sometimes attack automatically.

As some may have seen a second secret level is planned but it's gonna require more extensive work to complete, so I've decided to just upload what I have otherwise until then. NEXT TIME...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

[​IMG]

This look better?

6. VMordecai

VMordecai

Sonic 3 & Babylon Rogues
    One of my favorite S2 mods of all time! I'm loving the updates!

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

And it's FINALLY time again...

New revision out:

* A new secret level added. Look around the high path of Metropolis Act 1 and search for hints (thanx many people at the Retro discord for testing and helping program assets).
    * Amy's sprite set has been redone to look more in style with the game.
    * A larger extra route added to Chemical Plant Act 1.
    * I've configured Big's body slam to work with a down command like Amy's slam attack, since I thought it was too easy to activate by accident. If people don't like this edit, I'll undo it next time.
    * Edited SEGA screen (thanx DeltaWooloo and RandomName).
    * Faster bootup (thanx DeltaWooloo)
    * Fixed a bug that prevented water rising in Chemical Plant Act 2.
    * Fixed a bug that allowed players to enter the initial secret level in 2 Player VS mode (special thanx to a Youtuber who posted this glitch :P).

Known bugs:

* Collision might still be wonky in areas of the new level. Art priority also still needs to be adjusted.
    * Remaining cases of Cream and Big's attack flags not clearing when landing on certain objects (I swear no matter how many times I do this they keep returning).
    * Cream's special stage sprite still glitchy in Big and Cream mode.
    * There was a freeze caused by the explosion sprite that I think I've fixed all traces of, but if it reappears please tell me.

Special thanx DeltaWooloo, RandomName, HitaxasTV, campbellsonic, MainMemory, and a hefty number of other people of the Retro discord.

EDIT: The wiki has also been updated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've only just realised that Cream's sequence at the end of WFZ has been broken for almost ten revisions. :P

Just to note that the project is going into the contest again this year, and this issue will FINALLY be fixed. Also another little surprise is underway. :D

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Since we're uploading all our contest builds here, I thought I may as well do the same:

[​IMG]

Updates:
    * Difficulty Option added. Choose from Easy, Normal or Hard modes (Easy saves your ring count with checkpoints and has breezier layouts and bosses, Normal is the classic Sonic 2 run, Hard has tougher layouts and more resilient boss fights).
    * Several bugfixes, including Cream's WFZ cutscene, and several objects clearing her flying flag properly.
    * Updated title screen as shown above.
    * Level select updated to feature the hidden levels (upcoming third secret is blanked out for now).
    * New sound effects for certain commands and objects.

Download:
    https://shc.zone/entries/contest2021/494

Special thanx to SophieDude for helping with the new difficult modes and DeltaWooloo for the new sound effects, and many other people on the Retro discord channel.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay another new update and another new secret level....

...look it's no secret anymore, it's friggin' Sand Shower.

[​IMG]

Notes:
    * New extra level hidden somewhere at the top of Aquatic Ruin Act 1.
    * Extra level also available in VS mode (replaces Mystic Cave currently, will edit the menu to have all six levels in a later revision).
    * Wood Zone given an overhaul to fix up some graphical and gameplay bugs.
    * New monitors; slow sneakers and the pogo spring, are now found throughout Easy and Hard mode.

Special thanx to:

* Cinossu, Hivebrain and Faceless Fox for helping program the new monitors.
    * DA Garden for bug testing and fixing the new level layouts.
    * Stealth, Dolphman, Zeta_Null and of course, Brenda Ross, for art reference for the new level.
    * Delta Wooloo, djohe, SophieDude, Gemini, Faceless Fox, Markeyjester, and many MANY others for numerous tweaks and bug fixes.

Download:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...217642938508/Sonic_2_Pink_Edition_Rev_2.2.bin

11. Already found the entrance (hint: it's on the top path).

This also has to be the prettiest interpretation of Sand Shower I've seen.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sorry for lack of activity (there's a reason it only went into the Expo this year :P).

Just to note, I do have another big update planned, though it will take a while.

[​IMG]

Until then I have a little present for anyone who wants it. I'm making my Sand Shower assets open source. You also get a sneak peak of the new animated tiles I've put into them.

The scroll data is still incredibly primitive but it's programmed to work in 2 Player mode if you want an extra level to race in. :P

(Also I'm afraid the ASM data is all in Xenowhirl, though shouldn't be too hard to translate to Github.)

Attached Files:

13. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Here is a little edited how-to for github

Forget to said; you also need to mark level art, level title and palette in constants

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  14. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

Is there a spritesheet version available of the Sand Shower Assets? I'm not sure how to extract the assets from the zip provided, and SonLVL just refuses to work on my end, so I can't use that.