don't click here

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania (10/5/2021)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Just an FYI - that's a reupload of the original video from Monkey Ball Producer Masao Shirosaki's Twitter. He's been posting lots of little snippets in the run up to the release of Banana Mania, including closer looks at some of the characters from the in-game snapshot mode - keeping an eye on his feed is the best way to make sure you don't miss any new pics/videos.

Having said that, another account posted a few high-quality screenshots of Tails that I've not seen elsewhere. It's cool to see and gives us a great look at him in action, not to mention a look at a few more stages - they seem to be press shots, as some of the same shots can be seen here along with a few of Sonic, as well as isolated renders of Sonic and Tails further down the thread.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  2. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I just noticed that the HUD displays the amount of collected bananas out of the total bananas on the current stage. I wonder if there's any reward for collecting them all like Banana Blitz had.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

That's... right.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I mean Kiryu pretty much replaced Sonic as Sega's official mascot so this isn't too surprising really :V

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just a bit jarring don't you think?

"Hey you know who would be a great character for the cute monkey game? Kiryu. Yup the one who kills people that's right. Just make him chibi it'll be fine"

Idk for me this is right up there with Danica Patrick in All Stars racing transformed. Just... confusing.

6. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I like it. We're not getting a new SEGA Superstars game any time soon, so this will have to suffice.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You know what? That's fair. Much like what i wish they'd do with Mario Kart, if you want to like Sega Smash up the roster sure why not.

Ok then if this guy's in I want to see Bayonetta lol. Alex Kidd would be an excellent choice as well

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I get what you mean but the funny thing is that Kiryu hasn't canonically killed anyone so far, he's more of a hero really.
    After playing the first few Yakuza games and seeing him sing karaoke, become an RC car champion, a successful real estate agent and a substitue father to an orphan girl I can honestly tell you it doesn't feel jarring at all to me lol.

Do keep in mind I've never played a monkey ball game before. I quite literally know nothing about this series beside its titular character, so...yeah. I'm just saying Kiryu isn't more far fetched than someone like Beat for example.

9. gold lightning

gold lightning

I get you all are saying, but this might've happened simply because Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is the developer this time. You know, the same guys who make the Yakuza series.

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Didn't Toshihiro Nagoshi create the Monkey Ball series, now that I think about it? I guess we've come full circle then.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    2021's game of the year keeps getting better. Damn.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh does he not kill people? Ok tbf I know next to nothing about the Yakuza series except "it exists" and Sega is very invested in said series lol

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Nope, he's as heroic as heroes can be, despite being a yakuza :V

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Where is Amigo at, though?

15. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Amigo, Ulala, and NiGHTS really have no reason to not be in at this point.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Don't forget Ryo Hazuki, Vyse, and then Danica Patrick again for some reason.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes my favorite Sega character, Danica Patrick.

Vyse would be cool though. I wish Beat came with Gum though (I'm a sucker for female characters, currently there are only 2 out of 12)

18. Cyberlink420

Cyberlink420

Michigan
    Sonic F (Sonic Paradox)
    Apparently being Sega characters has nothing to do with it if you're DLC.

It makes sense that Hello Kitty and Suezo are DLC, since the cost of the content will help pay for the license, but that doesn't change how bizarre this game's character roster is becoming.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This one's really going above and beyond in terms of Monkey Ball games. A controllable camera, new modes (one where you collect all the bananas in the stage to win, one is a reverse mode where you start at the end and head to the start, there's probably more), the fact this is remaking the good games alone, and then all the characters, costumes and what have you. Considering they've all been various degrees of gimmicky shit since the GC days this is turning out to really be a lovely return to form, and then some

20. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

The new modes apparently are restricted to just ten stages? A bit disappointing if true, as they'd just end up being a novelty I'll try once and never again. They sound like very cool and transformative game modes, much like Competition Mode (which apparently isn't here), so it would be really sad if they're just small little things to toy with for a just a few minutes.