don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Don't want to speculate too much because I'm aware I'm making a lot of assumptions. But Stealth has said once that porting Sonic 3 would take a year. It wouldn't be a quick job.

2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yes he stated 1 year at least for the remastered project, but what I’m not sure of is if that time is only with Taxman and Stealth taking care of everything.. he said that the remastered Sonic 1 & 2 took 3 and 6 months, respectively.. but I think that was with only the two of them working on the games..

If there were more people involved, maybe that one year timeframe can be shortened significantly?? Who knows

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Harper

Harper

Waiting for this gets harder each day lol. I know they wanna advertise Colors and stuff first before even mentioning Origins, but I wonder how long after Colors Ultimate we'll have to wait for a trailer for Origins.

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I have no hopes for any Origins trailer at all in 2021.

5. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Did they give a release date for this? If they're aiming to release before the Movie sequel then I wouldn't rule out a trailer in December maybe

6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The Sonic Central presentation specifically mentioned more info/details later this year so it won’t be long after Colors Ultimate releases.

As for release date, it was rumored to be coming out before the movie (Jan-Mar 2022) based on Iizuka’s interview with Famitsu, but that may have been misinterpreted.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Why would it have to be a quick job? Do we know when Sonic Origins development started, or is this statement assuming that it didn't start until around the announcement?

8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Agreed. We know literally nothing about this game's development yet, so IMO there's not much point in speculating.

9. Harper

Harper

People looked into that and it turns out Iizuka was referring to the next Sonic game, not the Sonic movie.

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    If that's the case then I imagine Sonic Origins could get an August release and Sonic 2022 will release in November, like Mania just before Forces.

11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

My only argument with that time frame is these games are re-releases, why would it take that long to port? I know most of the development time is towards widescreen 3&K and I understand that the pandemic is still a factor, but even so.. my money is on spring 2022.. the latest I’ll predict is 6/23/22 (Sonic’s 31st anniversary)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  12. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'm personally holding out hope that the longer dev-time could go to extra stuff like a new Sonic Jam-inspired Sonic World type thing
    [​IMG]
    I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment here, but I can dream :P

13. Harper

Harper

Part of me thinks they're using the Genesis source code from 1, 2, and 3 to make brand new ports, properly converting that ancient code would take a while. It would be smart just to port the existing Retro Engine versions, but SEGA always makes weird decisions. Iizuka also said that they might make some changes to make the games more beginner friendly, so I'd imagine that would take up some time too.

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I'm not so fussed about a Sonic Jam style hub area - what I'd love to see, though, is galleries of concept art/demo music tracks and the like unlockable through playing the games.

I've been playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles recently in what free time I've had, and as well as the two games they've included a wealth of this sort of material, complete with developer commentary. It'd be great to see this sort of treatment given to the classic Sonic titles, particularly if they dug into the archives to give us stuff we've never seen before, or to make some things we have seen recently more accessible such as the Sonic 1 storyboards from Mega Drive Collected Works, or the Sonic 2 level concepts from the Cook & Becker book. The latter would be particularly good to see, given that at least one was obscured by being printed across the middle of two pages...!

It could be the perfect opportunity to, say, finally show off some proper concept art showing what Sonic CD's R2 was intended to look like - I know we've a brief animated clip and a very sketchy piece showing the idea behind the rainbow waterfalls, but there must be some sort of proper artwork of the overall design plan for the visuals somewhere, similar to the concepts we've seen so many of for Sonic 2 already...!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  15. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    My problem with that idea is...that's assuming they can actually find the Genesis source code. My understanding from what I've heard from various leakers on here is that Sega's corporate archives are a fucking mess.

Ugh, he did? They damn well better be optional.

16. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    An ultimate dream come true thing would be if we got playable versions of the really early beta versions of the games.
    [​IMG]
    Now that would really live up to the name Sonic Origins lol

17. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

This would be an interesting idea.. since Yuji Naka originally wanted the TTS Sonic 1 prototype in Mega Collection, this would be a nice extra for Origins to include all of the prototypes that drx and Hidden Palace unearthed and make them playable. We only have 1 prototype of Sonic 1 and Sonic 3.

The only thing is Sonic 2 has way too many of them.. maybe include the one that had the most unused content (Simon Wai or Nick Arcade??)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Knuckles chaotix would make a good addition too.

19. YuTwo

YuTwo

Hey here's a tip if your going to try to show images on this forum. Never use wikia fandom sites for images or else they won't show up when you embed them. I recommend mirroring the image on something like the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine or archive.vn first and then you share it that way. That is how I post images to this site. Here's how your image seems to look like correct me if I'm wrong though:
    [​IMG]
    Even though Imgur seems reliable I don't trust that site ever being around forever either and I get paranoid that any image I would post using it would get broken so that's why I mirror them in the first place. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see old forum posts with broken images from either ImageShack or PhotoBucket. At the very least the Internet Archive seems to be the one that will stick around (but even then that's not definitive since anything can happen) as it's run by Brewster Kahle who wants to ensure that almost everything on the internet can be archived.

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    ah thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future!