don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. starfrost

starfrost

I've been lurking on this thread for literal years and Ken Penders is almost the Chris-chan of the Sonic series. Delusional, believes that he owns literally everything, both the worst kind of Sonic fans, and both are more than happy to get litigious (not that Chris-Chan even approaches the will to do such a thing).

(EDIT: Terrible writing too!)

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    We're not really talking about Chris-chan or comparing others to them so flippantly here, as a gentle heads-up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I see two scenarios. Either he is so deluded he actually believes this, or he's fed up with people saying "OMG YOU TOOK UR CHARACTERS AWAY FROM COMICS" that he's concocted this ridiculous offer IDW wouldn't take up in a million years to get them to shut up because he can point to this and say "see? They can use them if they like."

I am torn which it actually is.

It could also be both.

4. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Nah. It's the first one.
    But I don't think he is actually delusional, just really narcissistic and stubborn.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean, if you're that narcissistic and stubborn it basically becomes delusion.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Ken is still now in the same state of mind that he was during the lawsuit, obsessed with the idea that the series is in ruins because he left, and only the infinitely-unique products of his sheer genius are capable of saving it. He still thinks Sonic is lost without him.

I think a lot of people view his characters through this same lens, but really the issue is just that SEGA didn't want the majority of the roles those characters played to be a part of Sonic's world. There's a reason Ken and Bioware settled out of court on Chronicles, and that's because you can't actually copyright "cyber echidna villains", even if the Dark Brotherhood were obviously inspired by the Dark Legion. The fact that one does not exist in the series is partially because of Penders, but it's also because SEGA doesn't want them.

The best thing SEGA, Sonic Team and IDW could do to fix this is introduce characters that fill the same roles as the ones Pendies holds so dear, without the legal ties. That's not actually a hard thing to do at all, because his writing is not actually anything special. Maybe Impostor Syndrome will do this, maybe it won't, but I wouldn't mind seeing SEGA remind this chode exactly how utterly replaceable all of his lame assholes were.

7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Honestly? I don't see why we need a bunch of echidnas running around. Why is it so hard for people to accept the fact that Knuckles is supposed to be the last of his kind? That's the whole reason he guards the Master Emerald alone in Angel Island, he's the only one left. The whole mess with the Brotherhood in Penders' stories made things needlessly convoluted. "Ohohoho, what do you know, he's not the last echidna after all! There is still the Dark Legion! And the Brotherhood! And Echidnaopolis! But he still has to guard Angel Island and the Emerald alone because the Brotherhood says so!"

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I can kind of get with both sides, but that's not my point. I was just saying that no matter what crap Penders is spewing, the only reason he and his characters are still relevant in the public eye is that they haven't been replaced with something equivalent or better yet, and that IS within SEGA/IDW's control. Another way of saying that would be that anyone could do what Penders did, which is probably true.

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Fair enough :V

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    For what it's worth, I think what Chronicles did is kind of the preferable option if you're gonna have more than one Echidna. While they're still technically his species, they're not his blood and don't really uproot his duties (and they, in fact, hinder it). Plus they're mostly taken care of after the fact.

11. Forte

Forte

Poland
    So, is Kenders going to sue Ian and IDW for introducing the new character, Surge?

She's green with black elements,
    Her name kinda sound like Scourge,
    She's an evil clone of Sonic.

I'm joking of course, but then... This is Keen Penders who we are talking about.

Part of me laughs at the probability, that Ian really created Surge, just to show how unimportant and irrelevant Ken (and all of his characters) and what he has to say is.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Penders' claim on Scourge is weird. Ok, even if he does own "Evil Sonic" that character, as he created him, is Sonic in leather and sunglasses, that's it. Ian created the new name and the redesign though, so wouldn't he have more the rights to that?

But honestly none of it matters, all Ian has to say is its based off the old "Ashura" Sonic 2 glitch which it really seems like it is anyway. And this wouldn't be the 1st time a weird classic oddity made it into the comics as a character. Thrash, that purple Tasmanian Devil from Archie that effectively killed all of Penders characters via means of warp rings, was based off the in-between sprites from the Sonic & Knuckles title screen character select.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Starline is also based off the old "Wechnia" glitch in Chaotix, in terms of color scheme, combining characters' powers, and "Wechnia"'s actual in-game name being a line of Stars.

Still, the fact that we went from Scourge to Surge is so blatant that it really drives home just how fucking stupid it is to claim that Shade is plagiarizing Lara-Su.

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    His redesign in the first place was based off Ashura as well.

Also why would it be "Wechnia", the entire thing is "white echidna"... "Wechidna".

15. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Because some folks back in the day couldn't spell for shit and then people just copied that.

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I definitely knew someone in elementary school that pronounced it "ee-kidney-a".

17. People can't spell for shit nowadays either, it's kinda sad.

Either way, Wechnia sounds cooler imo. Wechidna is too clunky :p

18. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Ken is just stalling for time.
    He's waiting for Sega/IDW to take action against him when he releases something so his excuse will be that they didn't react when he announced the project. And he's sure to win.

19. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    That would imply that he's fully capable of releasing something. He's not.

20. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Maybe deep down he knows that everything people say is true? :V
    What if everything he did, was a play - to get Sega to pay Monies?
    But Monies did Sega not pay.

And now he must publish The Donkey Kong Chronicles, because he's to stubborn to admit defeat.