don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Skyth

Skyth

Here's another video of my PBR shaders mod. A lot of things have changed since the first video.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Will this mod's shaders be available as it's own standalone thing to use with other mods/levels or due to its custom nature it'll only work with this?

Either way this is still really cool/impressive. I bet this would look great on the PC that should show up within the next few days

3. Skyth

Skyth

Nah, it isn't set to only work with this stage. It will work for other Sonic Forces stage ports (or custom ones) as long as you adapt them properly. It's just that new tools will have to be created for baking correct lighting data. Since I'm using Sonic Forces' formats in this mod, the tools will benefit both.

4. Out of curiosity, do we still need to use a specific version of 3DS Max in order to model stages to import into Generations, or will other modeling programs suffice? (It's been a really long time since I looked into it, and back then you needed a particular version for the importer to be compatible) I've been using 3DS Max for college courses, but it occurred to me recently that once I graduate and my college email is taken down, I'll no longer qualify for the student license and will have to pay out the nose to continue using 3DS Max. I've been barely getting started on learning Blender since it's permanently free, and playing around with level design might be a fun way to practice. (I've also seen some neat tricks in tutorials that might be interesting to try out in making levels, such as using the particle system to distribute models of buildings and terrain onto a larger surface. Could be a neat way to piece together background elements like distant hills and cities.)

5. Zud

Zud

This is a partial repost of something that I originally put in the wrong place here. (Sorry, I'm a newb ). I wanted to get some feed back on a Hyper Sonic Mod for Generations I have been working on, and see if anyone can help me on a few parts of it. More so, I wanted feedback in general of how he looks. I really hope you guys like it.

Now, first off, I do not want to take any credit for anyone else work, and because this is a further modification of JoeTE’s Super Sonic Generations. I want to state up front if I utilized anything anyone else made. The double jump is from Sajid double jump mod.

Here’s the main vid, there are some other test vids up on my channel:

Even though I have a different taste on how Hypersonic ought to look, it wouldn’t have been possible without the version JoeTE made. Him exploiting the color change glitch to make his Hypersonic was invaluable. He also set the color change speed to being just slow enough that it should be less of a seizure risk than the original.

Because the heavy lifting really was already done by JoeTE on his Super Sonic Generations, I did get his permission to re-release it with my changes to Hyper Sonic. I made sure to give him credit. I'm only re-releasing his Lite version of Super Sonic Generations with my Hyper Sonic changes, not his full version. I just wouldn’t feel right about the full version, as his amount of work there was vast, and I really have only modified the Hyper Sonic portion.

I loved Hyper Sonic back in S3&K, OP’d as he is, and wanted to see a really good translation of him to 3D. There have been a lot of Mods, and fan games that include him, but I had my own vision of what it ought to be like, and I wanted to demonstrate that.

This lead me to learning about modding Generations, and I had to learn a lot. I still have a lot learn.

In Darker areas he now appears to glow almost neon, and the colors are more visible than before. In brightly lit areas he now appears to glow white. I changed the stars as well. They are now white light like the original, and they shoot out of him at a high speed, emitting in a rotation. All that was in the gte files.

I included the same hovering while idle animation StarNoodle495 used in his too. I don't know if he actually custom made it however, there seemed to be a flying idle animation exactly the same sitting in the sonic.ar file, but none the less, his mod was the first I ever saw it in, so I'm crediting him with it. It suits Hyper Sonic so well. It demonstrates how Hyper is more powerful than Super, and well, it just looks so damn cool.

I added Sajid’s double jump, and set the parameters very high. The original S3&K had a game breaking high double jump, so does this one. I increase the power of his ring pull when boosting. Increased his speed, and he also can no longer drown, like the original.
    I also included a save file with the power-stomp and a modified version of ring time. The ring time now has a much shorter life, just under a second, no graphical effect, and practically unlimited charges - effectively a Hyper Flash. It just leaves rings behind sometimes - think of it as a little upgrade. If I knew how to add a sound effect like an explosion to it I would, but I'm a little burned out on this mod to look into it at the moment.

Now, here one part I am unsure of how to proceed with, if it's even possible:

I don’t know how to make certain skills like power stomp and ring time always be available, without using them from modified save file skills. The issue with using them like that is, I cannot use those skill in fan made levels that lack a save option, such as Aquarium park. If there is a way to always those skills, similar to the "can turn super anytime" HMM code, regardless of skill set, that would be better. I believe there is a way to do so, but it is beyond me at this time. -That is one change I’d like to make in a perfect world.

As it currently sits I’m 95% satisfied with how it looks and plays and enough to think it’s now worth sharing.

Also, Skyth, thank you for your incredible contributions to the Sonic Generations modding community. Your Free Camera was essential in taking closer looks at the Hyper Sonic imrpovements I was making. I also found some settings in BetterFXpipeline that I really like as well.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

It's finally been figured out. You can finally spin dash as Classic Sonic in 3D in any direction, and you can also press B to roll. I gave this a go last night and while it's not perfect (they had to change the function so it's essentially a slide now, so it's not as powerful and the rolling doesn't have it's normal physics apply) it's pretty playable, save for Planet Wisp which has its usual issues due to not having the rocket wisp available as Classic. The rest of the stages I beat with minimal issues.

So hey we finally got Adventure gameplay in Generations :V

7. MBeca

MBeca

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  8. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Ive had a few people report its not as powerful as 2D spindash, and I’m preeeetty sure that’s placebo. Spindash in 3D probably feels slower due to the perspective/camera. Though I’ll wanna verify that; probably dump his velocity from 2D and 3D flat ground and compare, haha.

Are you using any other mods along with this? His friction should only be affected by his standard params, so mods like “Classic Sonic Improvement,” which modifies his basic movement stats, would change his roll friction and the like. Im sure you tested this alone but just checking lol

9. MBeca

MBeca

I used classic sonic improvement's physics and can confirm it's much more enjoyable and fast, he controls pretty decently doing sharp turns too

10. MuzzarinoHez

MuzzarinoHez

[​IMG]

My new Hedge code mod allows user defined blend params to each material if anyone wants to give it a try on their model imports.

11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

How much better is HedgeModManager than SonicGMI? I saw this mod almost a year ago and wanted to try it just to see if I could notice a difference with how my game runs. When I asked the mod maker if it worked with GMI, he said it didn't. https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/11596

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Nobody should be using SonicGMI anymore.

13. HedgeModManager allows for code injection into the game, so stuff like PBR shaders become possible this way

14. Skyth

Skyth

Released my Sunset Heights mod.
    [​IMG]

15. Skyth

Skyth

I've been working on a tool that bakes global illumination and light field data for Sonic Generations, additionally other HE1/HE2 games. Currently, the tool is a work in progress (and lacks documentation), but it's still pretty usable in its current state. The tool completely removes the need for previous GI baking solutions like 3DS Max and V-Ray.
    [​IMG]

You can get the tool here. See README for builds.

16. Gistix

Gistix

Is there any guide on how to use enemies from one level into another? I'm trying to use GUN Hunters and GUN Beetles in Speed Highway but not having much success, I have already added them to StageObject.sto.xml

17. Skyth

Skyth

You need to edit the EnemyArchiveTree.xml to make the game load the enemy's assets, see #Application.ar.00 in bb3

18. Gistix

Gistix

Thank you, Worked like a charm!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I am downloading this the second it comes out, this looks amazing

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So, finally using HedgeModManager. Having a bit of a problem though. Whenever I try and run Unleashed Project 1.0, the game crashes when loading or doing a new game. I don't know why though. Every other mod works fine though. Is there something I'm doing wrong?