don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    That short is kind of average at best. I only liked Metal Sonic and Cubot's Wisp Announcer voice chip parts and that's it.

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Good job as usual Tyson

3. This short / episode was really good. Makes me wish the cutscene in-game (not only Colors) could be always like that.

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

They did a good job at staying faithful to the Colors characterizations -- I still feel the urge to mute the sound every time Sonic opens his mouth :V

I like how it seems to be taking a jab at western Sonic localizations and characterizations, though. Sonic reads Eggman's lines in the translation and "embellishes" them to the point of twisting his character into a parody. Tails sighs and asks him to stop ad-libbing, and Sonic tries to defend himself by saying that he felt the direct translation was a little dry so he was trying to spice it up :eng99:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  5. I'm probably gonna get tons of shit for saying this, but I gotta get it off my chest.

If there's one constant about Sonic, it's people debating about his characterization no matter what he does. It feels like he's either "A dick" or "he's boring" with no real in-between, even in a short that actively has both present lmao.

6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

We were specifically asked to make it feel like Sonic Colors' writing at several points, making it more lighthearted and quippy. Particularly when it came to Sonic's dialogue. It makes sense because at the end of the day it's meant to advertise Colors specifically, which had a very specific tone. But I do hope to get to write one of these like an action cartoon one day.

• Like Like x 17
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. I'm genuinely impressed by how well you were actually able to work with those specifications without making it feel juvenile. Hats off to you mate.

Hope you get your wish sooner rather than later.

8. I really liked it! Like was said by others above, I do think it's a hard tightrope to walk in this case specifically but it just felt right. Honestly it was already immediately better than any of the cut-scenes in Colors proper.

That would be amazing.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I thought the short was fantastic btw. Very nice job.

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I thought it was nice! I look forward to seeing the rest. Kate Higgins is still great as Tails, props to SEGA for keeping a level of consistency on that part lol.

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think you and the team did a really good job on this. It had the right combination of light-heartedness and gravitas, especially considering it's advertising Colours.

I know I'm just one dumb fan, but I always anticipate your and the team's animations and I'm looking forward to seeing on any future projects you may be working on. I'm finishing up my PhD (Sep 2021) and I still remember your animations for Mania Plus in 2018 and TSR in 2019 during the early years of the thesis. The whole animation campaign was something to look forward to in studying. It feels good to be ending with the animation releases for Colours!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. MBeca

MBeca

Loved the animation, been wishing since the first Mania Adventures these could be included inside the promoted games as a sweet bonus

13. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    The short is just average. I liked Metal Sonic parts, Cubot & Orbot jokes were okay - mostly the announcer part.

I don't have any problems with humor, it's adequate to Colours plot, but Sonic acts like a jerk to that jade wisp. Dunno why he is written like that, and it's not the first time. Because of it, Rogers Sonic became "Jerk Sonic" in my head :/

14. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I wouldn't really say that Sonic was rude to the Jade wisp or anything. Towards the end of the episode he put the jokes aside and became more determined to help them.

I've seen many build up this association of Roger's Sonic being "asshole Sonic" and I think as a result of this maybe people start to read into the delivery in ways that probably weren't intended?

it's just a bit of banter innit, that's what Roger is best at when he voices Sonic lol

I will admit though, I'd love so see Roger take on a scene that shows Sonic's more sympathetic and compassionate side like Ryan Drummond had at the end of SA2 or Jason Griffith with the storybook series

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Loved it.

Great job as always, Tyson!

16. Linkabel

Linkabel

I am never going to understand the "Sonic is too much of a jerk" complaint.

It doesn't matter what version of Sonic we're talking about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I think Roger is a fantastic voice actor - I loved every line he spoke as Ezio, his Sonic is not my Sonic, but I admit that he voices character professionally and I can understand why people love him.

I think both the script and Rogers delivering of lines are at fault here. Adventure Sonic is more of an adventurous, free spirit (a cheesy one, yeah). Griffith Sonic comes off as a caring and thoughtful character, but still the adventurous type.

At least that's how I view them.

Rogers Sonic is more snarky, a bit narcissistic even. He is caring, but often he puts a mask, and makes bad jokes and snarky comments.
    I would love to see Roger reenacting bits from Sonic Adventure / Sonic 06. Maybe then that mental image of asshole Sonic would change.

18. Everyone's got their own specific interpretation of Sonic and most Adventure fans have decided that Roger's Sonic is an asshole who can never take anything seriously ever, even though that's exactly what he does at the end but we're going to ignore that because its not convenient for that argument of "Colors bad"

All this tells me is that most people ain't gonna be satisfied unless you get rid of the stuff they don't like and put in the stuff they do like.

I say this as someone who isn't exactly fond of Colors' writing either, but I genuinely think Heese makes it work than the game did and able portray a Sonic with multiple sides of his personality.....but oh well, nobody cares about; jokes = automatically bad I guess :V

19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    By the way, this does have a Japanese dub.

Maybe it's my understanding of Japanese inflections, but it doesn't seem Junichi's Sonic has the same range as Roger's :V.

I assume this is only budgeted for 11 mins of animation, like the others, so I guess only one more part?

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I love Jun'ichi's Sonic voice and he doesn't disappoint here. He's been the most consistent voice for Sonic so it's interesting to hear his take on the Colours-writing style