don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Possibly so, but that was also about 15 years ago or more. Lots of time has passed! I and a lot of people my age had no idea, and we're on the cusp of our 30s.

That only kinda emphasizes how much knowledge has been "lost", or at least or is only remembered / archived by a few who were there in the times it was more commonly known or discussed. It only makes me wonder how much more could've tumbled out of our line of vision. Ah well, to the wikis it goes.

2. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    And we are unendingly grateful to people like who who have the time/motivation to update the wiki. I do tons of research on my own site, but I don't have the energy or will to copy that over to another site (especially to a wiki with its insufferable system). Retro has a huge community, I would hope more people could join in!

Edit: Psst, here's a couple big ones for anyone interested: SegaSonic Arcade hidden content needs a massive update, and Sonic the Fighters needs one too.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Just yesterday I was hoping for a rerelease of those songs so we could have higher quality versions of them... and then those are posted! Makes me wonder how much of the Gems music library is archives from similar promotional material.

4. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Well, this isn't as rare, but I recently bought/ripped/scanned Sega Arcade Selection D-RAM Remix and shared in the oldbie forum. May as well make it available too!

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I feel like it was because Heroes was the first game we had an overload of info for and was really trying to track stuff down before the game was out. Like when we had Omega's scenes without the voice filter (that guy sounded almost the same without it), but stuff like that is lost now as far as I know. Or when we snagged all that HQ art from Sega's FTP, or when we were hacking the Gamecube demo disc with Heroes on it and were making Action Replay codes then and there (I found the code to enable debug mode in that demo for instance).

Stuff just gets lost and all the free hosting we had back then doesn't exist anymore.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There'll be quite a bit in this topic :)

Sadly things slip through the cracks because there aren't enough super active contributors. The software actually lists them, but even my contributions to Sonic Retro come in phases, because my heart is with Sega Retro (and like others, my cut-off is Heroes). We have a handful of people who do outstanding work though - we're a long way off my weird dream of documenting every byte in the game, but it gets better every day.

Although the forums often attract topics that are little more than "I LIEK THIS GAME" which buries genuine research, but I have the message in big letters in the signature of every post I make so I'm doing my bit!

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I was specifically referring to the CD remixes, but the whole thing is welcome as well!
    Even if something isn't "rare" it's still always really nice to have the best version of it out there.

8. Ryan Mc

Ryan Mc

I was playing Sonic 2 a few nights ago, and I went to the Aquatic Ruin Zone. And this craziness happens. I redid the glitch for the video.

I don’t know why it does that. I’m using a mega everdrive pro on a Sega Genesis model 1 console. I even used the one with knuckles and the glitch happens there as well. I know those are collision blocks left there by the programmers as place holders for the leaf falling animations. Could it have something to do with the water that cause those to appear?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That's a known bug, the object sets sprites for itself but doesn't display them unless debug mode is activated, however when Sonic is dying, the game will just display every object's sprite without running its code, and since that object has a sprite set, it gets displayed, even though it normally wouldn't be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Ryan Mc

Ryan Mc

Really? That happens on all the final copies of Sonic 2? Oh, I see. I did play that same zone on the Simon Wai build and cycled through all the items but there were no question marks displayed but the leaf falling animation was still present. Come to think of it, back in early 1995, my twin brother was playing on that same zone and it happened then too. He was confused too as was I. I thought it was some sort of secret clue or something . That was until I did the debug code later that year, and I placed the set of question marks randomly and jumped into them and leaves fell out. But going back to that video; to me the bug cheapens the game. However, I do understand that Sonic 2 was very rushed and they probably didn’t have time to completely check for glitches like that or remove the question mark graphics in time. I know that the IOS version don’t have them anymore.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You are aware that Sonic 2 (and Sonic 1, and Sonic 3...) has many bugs, right? Some of which are much more serious than some sprites showing up when they aren't supposed to. The "14 continues" cheat causes the sound driver to get stuck playing Oil Ocean Zone's music forever, jumping after passing a signpost with 50+ rings and all the emeralds causes Sonic to get stuck in midair forever, Rexon crashes the game sometimes when you hit it.

12. Ryan Mc

Ryan Mc

Yeah, I did do that super Sonic glitch on Sonic 2. And on Sonic 3, using stage select, I would go to the bonus stage, fall through, and then it would say Doilus Stage instead. Among other glitches.

I wonder which of the 16 bit Sonic games have the most glitches and bugs?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2021
  13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles. By like, a lot. If there's a bug you know of, we probably know of it as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I never knew that cheat gave you 14 continues, I thought the devs were just fucking around.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic 3 AIR spoiled me, I forget how glitchy S3K can really be

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    for those curious as well, ORKAL's vids are a great methodical look at the bugs in S3, S&K, and S3&K. 1.) Turn on annotations for his notes and titles and 2.) enjoy falling down this rabbit hole :)

17. Ryan Mc

Ryan Mc

I haven’t played Sonic 3 AIR, but I have played Sonic 3 Complete. Is it better than Sonic 3 Complete?

18. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Sonic 3 Complete is a romhack. Sonic 3 AIR is a complete recreation up to the quality bar set by Taxman and Stealth which sources its main assets from the official Steam ROM. Give it a try!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Also mod support! AIR is where it's at these days

20. Ryan Mc

Ryan Mc

I see. It’s on the pc? Too bad it’s not on Genesis. I’m definitely going to give it a try.