don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Does that Sonic CD footage match any known proto we have?

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's from Sega Video Magazine and from what I recall, every Sonic CD prototype shown there is accounted for.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania - Sonic & Tails Intro

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why they used the Sonic Genesis version of the emblem there is beyond me

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My guess: Google search "Sonic Genesis title screen"

Sega's marketing are on record for not using their eyes, whereas once upon a time spotting minor differences in prototypes was a prerequisite for even posting on these boards. We're just... better at this then they are.

I actually come across this at work all the time, by people who are paid to see - they just don't notice dodgy looking pixels like we do. I spent weeks trying to explain to my employers what Windows scaling was.

6. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    This isn't the first time SEGA that have re-used graphics from that specific title screen, either.

I've forgotten all of the specifics, but I 100% remember seeing it in a YouTube video some years ago, in a little Flash(?) / mobile(?) soccer / football game(?), as part of some kind of licensing deal / agreement between SEGA and a brand of shoes whose specific brand escapes my memory. The game used Splash Hill Zone Act 1 music.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Bingo, that's the one! I totally forgot that the gameplay was actually platforming.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    This has been thrown around here from time to time.

This is about as old as sin, but isn't well documented here on the forums. I've mentioned it once or twice, the most recent time in 2018, the earliest in 2008. The video was also recently featured in the Duck/Woodpecker Bean video.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think that might actually be from the Java version? That’s the copy of the game Sega kept the source code of, and the version that Sonic Genesis is based on.

11. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
  12. Pengi

Pengi

From the old WOW Entertainment website: https://web.archive.org/web/20020405073414/http://www.wow-ent.co.jp/jpn/products/history.html

One of the listings under 1994 is:

ソニックパトカー/わくわくマリン(スペイン版)

Which translates to: Sonic Police Car / Waku Waku Marine (Spanish Version)

For context, this is Waku Waku Marine: https://segaretro.org/Waku_Waku_Marine

So did both of these rides get Spanish versions in 1994? It's unclear why they're listed together and not separately.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Not really.

Read: He said "Hey, Ryan's interested if you do this list of things you don't want!"
    Sega: "Nah, we're fine, thanks."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    The sonic fandom never ceases to amaze me (may have been posted before, I only just found it)

15. Xilla

Xilla

Everything about the animation there is so accurate, even down to the little quirks.

16. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    No. That is SONIC 6290 MIX, originally from Super Mega Drive Fan Vol 1 CD from 1993, a bonus CD with issue 1 of... Super Mega Drive Fan. AFTER-6290 MIX is from Vol 2 and is the much more chill, downbeat mix.

We've had rips of Vol 1 and Vol 2 for many years.

EDIT: because I'm such a nice guy, here are my personal FLAC rips from the actual CDs.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I appreciate this! Giving it a listen soon.

But also I don't think this has ever been well-known information, so I'm not sure if there's a need to come off too condescending at me for it, haha. I and most people I shared this with had only ever known it to be from Gems Collection. This is next-level obscure trivia.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    This is kinda part of the problem. A bunch of stuff we freely had back then just isn't there anymore.

Or stuff is brought up and people think it's new but then someone will bring up a topic from like 2003 or something.

Anyway, edit and add stuff to the wiki. That is basically what I'm saying. :V

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    When I got time in the following week, I'll post some of this stuff up. Definitely needs to be up there.

20. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Not being condescending, just impassionately stating facts. I don't think you're uneducated for not knowing the origins, but it's also not something new.

I do hold that this was, indeed, pretty well known info, at least on a certain community that predated Retro.

Edit: To be fair back in my day, there were a lot less Sonic games to "study" and be knowledgeable about, so it was easier to know stuff like this, I guess. I certainly couldn't tell you practically anything about Sonic games past, say, Heroes.