don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    The ghost girl is Maria!

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Tikal?

Sonic, after seeing himself do boosts and homing attacks, learns them earlier than he should since he's actively focusing on them rather than learning as he goes, thus Sonic Adventure with boost mechanics.

3. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Ken Penders invented the concept of the multiverse?

4. Is your question a joke like that statement? Mine here is genuine curiosity- like really, Ken Penders did not create the concept of a multiverse. Idk who did, but my best guess was multiverses probably first prominently showed up in some Marvel or DC comics way back.

5. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I was making a joke, because the multiverse had been a trope in comics for a very long time before Archie started using it. And Man of Action has written multiverse stories before so they were probably not inspired by the Archie books when creating the concept for the show.

6. Ah okay

7. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    If we want to get really technical, the Many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics was first proposed by physicist Hugh Everett III in 1957. It's been popularized in fiction for nearly as long.

Regardless, I don't think turning Sonic into a comic book hero with all the ensuing tropes is a great idea. Keeping it relegated to a classic counterpart who branched off into a different dimension due to time travel without going full-on Into the Multiverse with it is the best way to go in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I'll always defend the decision of branching timelines (classic + modern) as It reminds me somewhat of a Rockman/Rockman X split. But still, when we have a series so rich with many continuities, that to this day have fans (SatAM has fans, Boom has fans, heck even OVA has fans) - I would love to see Sonics of these world's interact.
    Granted, the upcoming title is probably not the best place for this idea, but it being an alternate take on Adventure game is really appealing to me. :D

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Personally, I hope the games stay the fuck away from multiverse stories. Partly because they belong more in American superhero comics and fanfics, and partly because I don't want to see a bunch of continuities I don't really care for shoved into the games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    But those are the same timeline, just different points. Hell, some of the games tie back and forth into one another:

1:21 specifically

Flash Man's stage, with a Wily Devil at the end.

This kind of thing I don't mind: continuing adventures between both, but still part of the same continuity and timeline with the odd reference to one another thrown in.

11. _Sidle

_Sidle

Mania (and the Mania Adventures special remix + the IDW 30th Anniversary SoC story) do make a few small nods to modern stuff sparingly, so it's not fully divorced from it all I suppose.
    Funny Megaman X is brought up, as it actually has a split timeline itself! (Command Mission and Zero+ZX don't coexist according to some developer comments and dates given.)

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I don't think any dates are really given post-Mega Man X: Mega Man Zero takes place 100 years after the Maverick Wars, so basically, whenever the Mega Man X series ends, plus 100, Mega Man Zero.

We also know Mega Man X takes place post 2113, so...

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

BumbleKast Q&A for August 23rd, 2021

39:21
    - Ian, how was the process like working on the Encyclo-speed-ia and working with SEGA on it as a whole? (...)
    - (...) In the initial pitch of what games we're gonna cover and in what order and how we would group them, they were like: "we can't touch this one, we can't even mention it by name". (...)
    - Does it rhyme with Sonic Schmonicles?
    - No, that one's listed...

(I really don't know what game could this be, I immediately thought it would be Chronicles. Maybe it's Knuckles Chaotix? Or some Game Gear title?)

- ...and there was a couple of characters that we had a lot of back and forth over their naming. Because I was of the position they'd already been anglicized, and Sega of Japan came back sayind "no they never had been officially". I said "but when you translate them they clearly are meant to be read as this in English". (...) We came to a compromise on one, which was another potential rights issue, which surprised me. (...) The hardcore Sonic fans are going to get to this particular character and go "wait, that's not his name". It is now!

(I really don't know who might be either. It looks like it's a less recurrent male character. Maybe Mephiles?)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Well now I'm rather uncomfortably curious to know what character he's referring to that never officially had an English name. Fang leapt to the top of my mind, but that's probably just because I never liked the name "Nack." It could have a potential rights issue even, due to a character named Fang in Final Fantasy XIII, but Ian was probably referring to some other obscure character anyway.

I also find it bizarre that there is some game that they can't or won't mention the title of. Could it be Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? Probably not since it is just a reskinned Puyo Puyo with no bearing on the plot of the Sonic series in general. I could see them wanting to avoid using the name Robotnik, despite it being used in the movie. Spinball is harmless and doubtful. I'm mildly concerned for Chaotix, as the name hasn't actually been used in a while. Biggest red flag there being how Vector was included in TSR without his comrades, and with his strange new team being named after him. I hope I'm wrong and Chaotix at least gets mentioned, when Boom is surely the most obvious title they would want to avoid referencing.

15. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Well, Robotnik is canon Eggman surname, and I doubt they wouldn't want to mention Maria Robotnik and Gerald Robotnik. They are important part of Sonic World...
    ...at least they were around 15 years ago.

The name that instantly comes to mind is Nack of course. I doubt that Chaotix are in any danger, at least the Team. I can't think of any game, that they don't want to mention thought.
    - Mean Bean Machine You can still buy at steam, as well as 3D Blast
    - Sonic 06 is acknowledged by Sega
    - Sonic Boom was a moderate success because of the TV Show. I doubt they can't mention it.

It's probably Chaotix, isn't it?

16. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I don't think he's referring to Fang because the IDW 30th anniversary comic already called him Fang.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Were the Babylon Rogues mentioned by name in the Metal Virus arc?

EDIT:
    Sem título3.png Sem título.png Sem título2.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  18. Forte

Forte

Poland
    I remember them referring to each other by their names, and they were called Babylon Rogues in the narration box, so yeah.

Edit: was that witch from Tails Skypatrol named anything? Or maybe it's the Battle Bird Armada Kuzu whats-his-name?

19. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    The suggestion is characters who haven't gotten official localisations, but whose names are simplistic enough that a fan would pick up on the deviation from the literal translation; all of the characters mentioned in recent posts have gotten acknowledged in recent media without hassle, but crucially have also had proper by-name localisation back in their original games. If I had to put money on it, it might be Bearenger or one of the other Witchcarter troupe. Although quick look at the Tails Adventures manual pdfs we have on the Retro wiki doesn't actually mention Speedy or Grand Battle Kukku by name...

20. Pengi

Pengi

If SOJ are insisting that a name has never been officially anglicized, it's not going to be Fang, Mephiles or the Babylon Rogues, whose names were officially anglicized right there in the games. It's more likely to be characters like Great Battle Cock, who got (awkward) anglicized names in the Mega Collection/Gems Collection menus, but never the original English manuals or in-game.

As for a game that's off-limits to mention for legal reasons, why would it be a first-party game like Chaotix? They use the word "Chaotix" frequently. They referenced the game itself on Sonic Channel just a few months ago. Even if they couldn't mention Chaotix, it wouldn't stop from from putting Espio and Charmy in Team Sonic Racing if they wanted to. That's entirely unrelated. Instead, consider something like Tails SkyPatrol, which was developed by JSH and SIMS, started out as a Disney game and was planned to be ported to Game Boy after the Game Gear release, without the Sonic/Tails license. The title screen even says Program © SIMS&JSH 1995. SIMS has been independent from Sega since 2004. I don't know what happened to JSH/Biox, but they appear to be long gone.