don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    If I wasn't at work when I saw, I would've screamed. This is awesome!

2. Idris Elba is the best possible casting choice. I'm so psyched. I wonder if Idris will use his American accent or if Knuckles will be British?

Also.

I think we get a trailer sooner than later. Either around the time of Cinemacon or by Sonic Colors Ultimate. That's my prediction.

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    This will be a very interesting choice. Definitely will be one I'll need to hear to accept, like Jimbotnik.

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

Somewhat off-topic but is his hand in that teaser look a bit smaller than what we saw in those standees set photos a while back?

(Not that his hands looked bad in those pics or this tease)

Kind of wish Sega!Knuckles hand size was like that in the games instead of the humongous mittens he has right now.

5. Personally I cannot wait to see movie Knuckles in motion in the trailer. Tyson Hesse was involved from the beginning on this one, so you just know it's gonna look awesome.

6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    hahahahaha this is hilarious

7. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I was legitimately hoping for The Rock, but whatever, this is fine, lol.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Idris Elba as Knuckles will be interesting! I really look forward to seeing how this turns out.

All that's left now is to find out who will be voicing Tails. I hope it's still Colleen O'Shaughnessey but I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced her with a big name celebrity.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Words cannot express how happy I am to hear this.

But are we getting "Stringer Bell" or are we getting "Luther"? Dear god I hope we're getting Luther. Hackney Knuckles is something I really, really want to see.

10. Can't believe the "Knuckles is black" memes got meme'd into reality lol.

I'm eating this shit right up, love it. Hope they do him justice and finally put some respect on my man's name.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Not really. Knuckles isn’t black, there’s a black man playing him. Like Jaleel White once said, Sonic isn’t black or white or anything other than Sonic.

Anyway, Elba has a ton of range so it really is a mystery what kind of direction they’re gonna go with this. Personally I hope his characterisation hews closer to the Adventure game rather than the hotheaded and impulsive dudebro he still shows shades of in current games.

12. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Knuckles' spines were designed to resemble locs. His creators initially envisioned him sounding Jamaican. He was associated with new jack swing in his first appearance and later rap music two games in a row, with his theme in the first of those games also having soul & gospel singing interspersed.

Knuckles was always conceived of with black cultures in mind. Even if he's always been depicted with light skin tones (except in Adventure 2), saying he isn't black is wrong. Knuckles is more tied to black culture than most Sonic characters.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Gee, I didn't know you were allowed to make definitive decisions for the franchise as a whole- wanna run that one past Sega?

If Sonic can just be "Sonic", why does Knuckles suddenly have to be a specific race? Not that I mind that Knuckles could be considered black mind you, I actually really like that idea, but none of us are in any position to decide anything about Sega's characters that they haven't made an official statement on themselves.

We can theorize about Knuckles being black all day, but ultimately that's Sega's final word- and afaik, they haven't said anything yet.

14. How about I keep my own interpretations and we keep it moving

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Why do people keep latching onto singular sentences in attempts to disprove entire posts? It's kind of annoying.

Knuckles has closer ties to black culture than other Sonic characters. This is barely debatable (IE not really) and we're gonna move on now.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Alright, knock it off.

If anyone should be worried right now, it's Elba - he's probably going to have Penders start stalking him now.

(still don't care about this film)

17. Level Zone Act

Level Zone Act

Yes, I hope we get English!Idris instead of American!Idris, if only because there's a chance we might get to hear him say this:

https://twitter.com/DemonTomatoDave/status/1405968203432538120

Or let's go further and recast Ben Schwartz and Jim Carrey too, so the film can recreate this!

18. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Yes I agree, I think the world is ready for Bri'ish Knuckles lol

19. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I've unfortunately only seen Elba in Star Trek Beyond and his character was less than stellar (no pun intended). I keep hearing good things about him though, so I'm curious how his Knuckles will turn out.

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    He's actually done some voice-over stuff before, so I guess the best role to compare this to would probably be his character in Zootopia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wvvpBNWe8