don't click here

Big In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Aug 1, 2021.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

As a quick project for the contest, I've ported Pink Edition's Big over to Sonic 1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Controls:
    * Lure Attack: Hold A to aim lure, the longer you hold the further it will throw.
    * Body Slam: Press B or C while jumping to slam down on anything under you.
    * Swim: Big will automatically float in water. Hold Down to sink.
    * Big can also smash walls just by running through them.

In addition, Froggy is hidden in every act besides Final Zone. Try and find him.

Bugs:
    * Title font appears behind Big due to some animation priority tricks.
    * Some possible situations where Big's lure attack does not reset properly, disabling the move until you get hurt or reset the game.
    * I haven't tested every Froggy location some might not be as reachable as they seemed on SonLVL.
    * Technically not a bug, but finding Froggy inevitably costs you a chance to enter the special stage ring. Might try and find a way around that in a later version.
    * Some obvious colour issues due to Big's different palette.

Special Thanks:
    To DeltaWooloo, HitaxasTV, CampbellSonic, D.A. Garden and many others on the Retro forum and Discord server.

Download:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...Big_The_Cat_In_Sonic_The_Hedgehog_Rev_1.0.bin

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

Okay, this is absolutely spectacular!
    I've yet to play this, but while I wait for the download, I assume that getting Froggy in every act gives some sort of secret or unlockable?

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Not yet I'm afraid, though I do wanna work some sort of reward system into this and Pink Edition at some point.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Fantastic hack, Big the Cat is always awesome.

Here, have a video:

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Unfortunately, in BizHawk's Genesis Plus GX core, collecting Froggy crashes the game: [​IMG]

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

And on that note, here's a new revision:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...Big_The_Cat_In_Sonic_The_Hedgehog_Rev_1.1.bin

Updates:

* Should hopefully fix the crash issues on some emulators when catching Froggy.
    * Hopefully fixed motion/animation bugs with Big when catching Froggy.
    * Catching Froggy at SBZ2 now immediately transitions to SBZ3.
    * Rev 01 upgrades added.
    * Started on some palette fixes.

Thanx to everyone on here and the Retro discord server for updating on bugs.