don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Man, I forgot how much I hated 4Kids’ sound design and voice acting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    And the script changes. The Japanese had it that the worlds were merged outright at that point in time, not simply "starting to merge", and the Chaos Control was to split them back apart. The concern was the timelines merging: Earth and Sonic's World were merged by that point.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member

17:07
    - Would you ever want to use Little Planet, West Side Island, Flicky Island or South Island in the IDW Sonic Comics? (...)
    - (...) I'm not opposed to returning to any of those places. I wonder if some of them might be considered Classic-only at this point? I honestly don't know. (...)

Far from a big revelation or anything, but I found it interesting.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Ah yes, the second of the splits. Time to prepare my bitching.

*ahem*

Little Planet was mentioned, and seen in via flashbacks, Sonic Adventure. Therefore, they're the same timeline, and screw whoever says otherwise!

5. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    It may be less to do with being confined to a single timeline as it is Sega trying to keep classic material confined to what they do with classic sonic to avoid confusion. Not to say it hasn't totally backfired, but that would seem to be the reasoning.

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I agree but it's funny to see Sega making a decision to avoid confusion instead of creating confusion.

7. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Little Planet was featured in Sonic 4, so... I suppose it exist in both modern and classic material.

8. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Huh, that's a rather good point. I suppose it explains why Ian's wondering about it...

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Little Planet is the easy part. South Island and West Side Island are the hard one. We have locations like Green Hill and Chemical Planet but there is no confirmation that they belong to these islands in the modern continuity. And we know Sega likes to make things convoluted for no reason.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    In my head canon, Green Hill appears in multiple locations because it’s a part of South Island which moves around in the sea. That’s why it pops up in different places.

Chemical Plant appears multiple times because Eggman builds multiple versions (just like he has built several different Death Eggs).

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I think some of the Green Hills are just separate areas with the same type of geography.

12. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    What worries me about that statement is he not knowing the current canon for them when, iirc, he's in charge of the encyclo-speed-ia.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I don't have much lore-wise hope in the encyclo-speed-ia.

But I really wanna see it telling the plot of Sonic Pocket Adventure, this would be interesting to know.

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

31:51

Someone asked Ian about Classic Sonic being from the past or from another dimension or if Generations split it up, and if the classic games are canon to the modern continuity.

Ian answered that, in his assumption ("do not take that as canon" he said), Generations cause the split so before that he was from the past and now it is an alternative dimension.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. So... what we've all been saying since forces came out

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Not me, I dislike the idea.

Unless Sonic Rangers is a Sonic Adventure remake in the alternate timeline...

17. Forte

Forte

Poland
    That would be... Kinda cool. I wonder if the game is going to have some synergy with Sonic Prime.

I mean, we have so many different versions of Sonic now - why not capitalise on the concept? Marvel is doing it and it works.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Apparently, Ken Penders made that idea.

19. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

I mean, the timeline split is probably the easiest way to explain how both assertions about Classic Sonic could be true. It's not too surprising Ian would come to the same conclusion.

20. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Scourge was worth it!