don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2021

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]
    It's that time of the year again...

Apologies for another March announcement.

Whilst it was our intention to announce earlier this year, the major changes this year, as well as other things to address, caused another delay which was beyond our control, we can only apologise for that.

In any case, people have more than enough time to plan for this year, and there will be those intending to submit, would possibly have been working on potential entries long before this announcement.

Contrary to previous threads, all information regarding the Contest and Expo this year can be accessed by going to this page.

A few major changes have been made compared to the previous year, the biggest change being a complete split in contest judging, which means separate judges for each category (Retro / 3D / 2DPC).

Here are the dates to remember for this year:

CONTEST DEADLINE - End of Sunday 12th September
    UPDATES DEADLINE - End of Sunday 19th September
    EXPO DEADLINE - End of Sunday 26th September
    CONTEST WEEK - Monday 11th to Sunday 17th October

If you have any questions regarding this year, you can use this thread, or contact us on the SHC Discord Server.

If there are any issues, please contact us directly using the Contact Us Form available on the page.

Please stay tuned to this thread for information on the usual trailer and when the website opens for submissions.

It will be up when it's up.™

Ready, Set, Procrastinate!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Due to the recent uptrend in Mania mods, the new decompilations of the mobile games, and the increasing number of 3D entries compared to retro hacks, we've decided to rename the contest to better reflect the nature of the majority of entries we receive.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I don't see the point of the name change, but okay.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I actually love the new name, it's a shame it's probably just an april fool :V

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yes, you are correct, it was indeed a joke!

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It's time for an update regarding this year's Contest. Please see the 2021 information page.

• There's just a few months away before the deadlines. The site should be updated and available for submissions by August allowing for at least one month's window of submissions to the Contest and Expo. When the site is available we will let you know. In the mean time please prepare your entries so that you are ready to go as soon as the site goes up, and remember there is an updates period too (the Expo does not, as it is not judged).

• We have clarified a few things regarding 2DPC entries and what is part of the 2DPC section. This includes the status of Sonic 3 A.I.R submissions as there have been some people asking about entering those.

• Without saying much for now, we're introducing something this year that hasn't been included in any Contest or Expo before. You'll find out what it is when it is ready to go, all I will say is this has been something that should have been done a long time ago. Better late than never I guess..

As always if you have any questions you can put them in the thread or use the other contact methods available to use.

And remember, you can submit anything to the Contest or Expo provides it meets the criteria, including small demos of one or more levels for example.

The SHC is the only time in the year where most people pay attention to hacks and mods after all.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member

We are now ready to accept submissions to the 2021 Contest and Expo for the Contest Week from 11th to 17th October!

Please visit https://shc.zone to submit your entries and for all the news this year check out the newsletter.

Due to delays in getting the site ready for this year’s submissions, which was out with our control, the Judges have decided to allow for an extension of the deadlines to ensure enough time is available to submit to the Contest.

Here are the new deadlines, if you want to submit to the Contest or Expo:

CONTEST DEADLINE - End of Sunday 12th September
    UPDATES DEADLINE - End of Sunday 19th September
    EXPO DEADLINE - End of Sunday 26th September
    CONTEST WEEK - Monday 11th to Sunday 17th October

8. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Hey everyone. Just a few recent updates to make you all aware of. You can find more information here but here's a summary:
    • In the Rules and Guidelines page we have added a line regarding updates for 2DPC and 3D mods
    • Some fixes have been made to the files of the Mega Drive splash screen
    • The Sonic Mania splash screen has now been ported over to other RSDK games (Sonic 1 / 2 / CD)
    Finally, we would just like to remind everyone to check the submission rules and guidelines before you submit to either the Contest or Expo. All entries MUST be based on a Sonic game or ROM, and we reserve the right to reject any entry that does not meet the criteria, or is not eligible for submission. Thank you.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Guess the Kaizo thing is a rule for next year, then.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    There already is a rule regarding the Kaizo hacks. It's just people trying to play the system and still submit them when they're poor quality and excessive (in the case of this person).

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    This is a reminder that you have until Sunday 12th September, at the end of the day, to submit something to the Sonic Hacking Contest.

You must submit a fully playable entry of your submission by this date.

After that, no further submissions will be accepted, however Expo entries (which are not judged) will still be accepted until the end of Sunday 26th September. There is no updates period for Expo entries.

All Contest entries have until the end of Sunday 19th September to refine their submission and update it, then afterwards the Judges will be looking at them, for evaluations and trophies.

Please note that it is the responsibility of the submitter to test their own entries for bugs, the deadline is the deadline, we do not normally accept any fixes beyond that date unless they are game critical, and even then it is a case by case basis, to avoid any more changes than what is needed. So please test your entry prior to finalising your submission.

For more information, as well as a few other things that have been mentioned, check out the latest issue of the SHC Newsletter.

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Final Reminder for Contest Submissions

If you want to enter to the Contest, you MUST make an entry on the website, and ensure you have a fully playable build by the end of Sunday 12th September.

Again, you have one week to refine your entry and fix any issues you find, and this has to be submitted and marked as Complete by the end of Sunday 19th September.

Judges will be making use of next week to determine whether or not entries meet the Contest criteria, get moved to the Expo, or rejected altogether.

Any moves will be advised through email. If you submitted to the Expo but want to swap it to the Contest (or vice versa), again we need to know by the end of today, as some have requested swaps.

Expo entries and trailer clips will still be accepted until the end of Sunday 26th September, where there is no updates deadline and what is submitted by then must be marked as complete.

If there's any issues with submitting something through the website, let us know.

And a reminder, the deadlines are final, there will be no bugfix uploads allowed unless they are severely game critical, but you should be using the updates deadline / expo deadline to fully test out your entry.

14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Contest Entry Submissions are now CLOSED!

Judges are checking all of the Contest entries to ensure they meet the guidelines. Some entries may be moved to the Expo, or be rejected, if they do not fulfil the eligibility criteria. You will be contacted if this occurs with your Contest entry. Updates can be still be made to Contest Entries until the end of 19th September. I would advise you to use this time wisely, and ensure any last minute bugs are resolved.

As the Expo isn't judged, you are still able to submit an Expo entry until the end of 26th September.

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just throwing this out here, if anyone wants me to test their hacks and hunt for bugs, and/or if you want to have one of my complete playthroughs ready in advance, feel free to send me a private message.

Interesting hacks only, I'm not going to play Green Hill Zone Act 42™.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just a reminder that this is the last weekend before the updates deadline expires, at the end of Sunday 19th September.

If you have a Contest entry, take advantage of polishing your entry up, as judging will commence once the deadline expires.

And remember, make sure you have fully tested your entry for any problematic bugs, as there will be no bugfix uploads allowed unless they are severely game critical, but ideally we don't want any reuploads.

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

This is a reminder to everyone that the deadline for the Expo is the end of Sunday 26th September. After this point, no more Expo entries will be accepted, and all entries will be locked down. if you have any last minute changes to make, I suggest you get them in as soon as possible. Again, all entries (Contest and Expo) should follow the rules.

The deadline for trailer submissions is also at the end of Sunday 26th September. Go here for more information on how to submit your clips for the Official Trailer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The Expo Deadline has EXPIRED. No more entries or updates are possible. The Judges are now checking Expo entries for quality control purposes and any rejected entries will be emailed soon as to why.

In the meantime, redhotsonic is working on the trailer, and we'll be showing it this coming Sunday 3rd October, along with the Contest and Expo entry list and this year's Media Panel Stream Schedule too!

If you have a Contest or Expo entry this year you are entitled to a slot on our Developer Stream schedule to stream your own entry to anyone interested.

We are trying this out this year, so book if you are interested.

19. RadioTails

RadioTails

I'm off on the 11th to 15th October. If any Developer Streamers require a moderator for your chat (I'm able to voice chat if necessary), then contact me at [email protected] Just keep in mind I live in the UK, so I can do between 9am - 10pm (GMT+0).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the subject of the Developer Streamers, I feel showing the Developer Streamers and Showcase Streamers at the same time isn't the best idea. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would people watch one of the developers over a more popular streamer? The Developer Streamers won't get as much views. This is why I feel it might have been better to give them their own 1 hour slots where people would more likely go and watch, rather than give them a choice where they would sadly pick the more popular streamer.

There's also the issue of finding moderators for the chat. It's easy for the famous YouTubers/Twitchers where it's much more easier to find someone, where the people entering the contest would most likely not have this luxury. It feels like they are just left to sort it out themselves, which will put people off.

I love the idea of the Developers getting to show off their hacks, but I feel the current method won't work. Maybe I will be proven wrong? Maybe it would be better to have a host that invites the developer to the stream where they can give the necessary support?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  20. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo

Be a boss-man and come to my big and tall man shop Member
    Seeing as you decided to put my name as an example arrogantly (assuming "I don't stand a chance"), allow me to say something.

A lot of us last year was complaining about how streamers didn't have the chance to show the necessary bits we wanted the audience to see or just gave up and moved on. I even remember a lot of streamers playing my hack (that being Sonic ReOne) and said, "good hack, bro, NEXT!" This left us hanging on a thread as we believe that the audience didn't fancy the mods/hacks we've shown. This developer stream idea is quite a clever idea, and it allows us, the developers, to show the features we want the audience to see. As for moderation in streams, it's a no-brainer. We all have friends in the community who are willing to spend their time modulating the chat, so don't worry about that.

So look, let's see how this year goes regarding Developer Streams. Who knows? It may turn out great. It has a lot of potential for other people to gain experience and show what their mod is made of.

But for now, I wouldn't go ahead picking on me, saying I don't have the potential to stream as it's a dick move to me and people who are taking part in the contest/expo this year.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022