don't click here

GameCube Sonic Team games with PAL 60 issues

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jun 23, 2021.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    After many years since the original thread, I've been able to try the PAL Gamecube version of Sonic Heroes and could see that, as expected, the 60Hz mode is bugged and just speeds up what the 50Hz mode would show, causing everything to run faster than intended (shorter seconds in the Time counter) while keeping the choppyness (since it keeps skipping frames).

So I was left wondering again, is it currently known if any other PAL Sonic Team (or SEGA) games have this issue on the GameCube?

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I would like to know this as well. It would also be good for the wiki if we went through every Gamecube game too.

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    The only thing I can say is I chose deliberately to run many games on 50Hz because I tried both options and sometimes the lower one felt better. Not sure if I did that with Sonic/Sega games, though.

4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I'm not too sure about playing the games in PAL 60, but playing them in PAL 50 is just as buggy. It seems the games have a tendency to register the input of a button price twice in succession quite regularly, and is something about processing frames twice due to the game speed of 50 fps instead of 60 fps. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle in particular was almost unplayable because of this, as 1 in every 6 times I pressed jump, it would press it twice and do an air dash/jump-hover,/jump-glide instead, and mess up your control. Playing in PAL 60 seems to fix this issue, but no other changes are actually noticeable to me.

The only thing that I remember being strange in PAL 60 is that, in Sonic Mega Collection, the various codes for different Sonic 1 versions actually work, unlike in PAL 50 where they do not work, and you are forced to play Revision XB in 50Hz.

5. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I've been playing with my Wii in 50Hz these days (the available TV wasn't exactly a good one) and I think its version of Unleashed also suffers from this issue. Colours didn't seem to act weird, though, so it might also be just plain bad controls.

6. MBeca

MBeca

It's not a GameCube game, but if I recall Sonic Colours in PAL50 is darker for no reason. Even Dolphin's wiki acknowledges that issue

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Heroes was always weird on 60htz, it’s really noticeable when you do Team Blast and it ends really quickly.

I don’t believe there were issues in other games when played at 50htz, only SA2B which as you have said, became quite unplayable due to the double jump issue.

Mega Collection changes the revision of the games when played at 60htz which though necessary is amazing. We basically got all versions of Sonic 1, slow music, fast music, moving clouds, both types of spike behaviour.

Gems only ran at 50htz oddly, which I assume is because they couldn’t optimise the games for 60htz, just like Heroes.